Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are Woolies open on a Sunday?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As above......

Comments

• Options
    yes, usually till 4. although depends on your area i guess. Most shops round here open on sundays, especially the larger chains.
  • Options
    yea. I might go and get some pick n mix.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Shame they dont sell University essays there ;<
  • Options
    10am - 4pm opening hours, like most other large stores on Sundays.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    10am - 4pm opening hours, like most other large stores on Sundays.
    :yes:
  • Options
    Though it might be worth pointing out some stores now open earlier. For example, my local Woolies opens at 9.30am on Sunday. They claim it's a chance to have a look round the store. However, in accordance with Sunday trading laws, you can't buy anything until 10am. So, if you spot a CD that you like at about 9.38am, you have to wait 22 minutes before the sale can proceed. Why not just open at 10am and be done with it already?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Though it might be worth pointing out some stores now open earlier. For example, my local Woolies opens at 9.30am on Sunday. They claim it's a chance to have a look round the store. However, in accordance with Sunday trading laws, you can't buy anything until 10am. So, if you spot a CD that you like at about 9.38am, you have to wait 22 minutes before the sale can proceed. Why not just open at 10am and be done with it already?

Heh, you make me larf :razz:

Some shops open 11-5 on Sunday, just to add my two random, pointless cents.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Heh, you make me larf :razz:
    Some shops open 11-5 on Sunday, just to add my two random, pointless cents.
    But it might not be for much longer. The Government is considering scrapping Sunday trading laws, or changing them. I'm not sure what stage this has arrived at yet, but they're looking into different options. So these sorts of hours could soon be a thing of the past.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Thats been happening for years!

It's simply a chance for people to shop before they open. By letting people browse beforehand, theres the possibility they'll buy more than they originally wanted as they know theres nothing else to do except look around.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But it might not be for much longer. The Government is considering scrapping Sunday trading laws, or changing them. I'm not sure what stage this has arrived at yet, but they're looking into different options. So these sorts of hours could soon be a thing of the past.

Good. Because sunday shop times are fucking annoying.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Good. Because sunday shop times are fucking annoying.
    As someone who works in a shop, and occasionally has to work on Sundays, I'm less sympathetic towards customers on this one. Longer hours would probably just mean even more work for staff in the retail sector, though there's probably some who would appreciate more hours. Alternatively, why not just do your shopping on a Saturday? :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As someone who works in a shop, and occasionally has to work on Sundays, I'm less sympathetic towards customers on this one. Longer hours would probably just mean even more work for staff in the retail sector, though there's probably some who would appreciate more hours. Alternatively, why not just do your shopping on a Saturday? :p

what if i run out of something sunday evening? All the supermarkets are closed by 4pm :mad:
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    what if i run out of something sunday evening? All the supermarkets are closed by 4pm :mad:
    Go somewhere other than a supermarket? Believe it or not, their domination of the country is not yet complete. :p
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Blah wrote:

God, it pisses me off so much. You've got none of this malarky in Scotland.
  • Options
    God, it pisses me off so much. You've got none of this malarky in Scotland.
    Sheffield's not part of Scotland, is it? :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Sheffield's not part of Scotland, is it? :p

No, but given the fact that I am Scottish moved from Scotland to live here I am fully aware of the opening hours there.

If it wasn't for the fact that there are stupid opening hours then I would be going to get ingredients to make a cheesecake right now. But I can't.
  • Options
    No, but given the fact that I am Scottish moved from Scotland to live here I am fully aware of the opening hours there.

If it wasn't for the fact that there are stupid opening hours then I would be going to get ingredients to make a cheesecake right now. But I can't.

Are there not smaller shops near you that are open? They're exempt from the sunday trading laws.
  • Options
    No, but given the fact that I am Scottish moved from Scotland to live here I am fully aware of the opening hours there. If it wasn't for the fact that there are stupid opening hours then I would be going to get ingredients to make a cheesecake right now. But I can't.
    Again, I ask this: can't you go somewhere other than a supermarket? Not everywhere closes at 4pm. And if you wanted to make a cheesecake, you should bought the ingredients earlier. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Go somewhere other than a supermarket? Believe it or not, their domination of the country is not yet complete. :p

what if i need something sold in a supermarket?

what if i dont want to pay the pathetic prices of independant small shops, which most of the time still close at 4pm anyway?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    what if i need something sold in a supermarket? what if i dont want to pay the pathetic prices of independant small shops, which most of the time still close at 4pm anyway?
    Like what? What could anyone possibly need so desperately that can't wait til Monday morning?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Again, I ask this: can't you go somewhere other than a supermarket? Not everywhere closes at 4pm. And if you wanted to make a cheesecake, you should bought the ingredients earlier. :p

I just fancied doing it 5 minutes ago on a spur of the moment thing. If it was a Saturday then I could get the ingredients. However, it isn't Saturday. I can't do spur of the moment cooking magic on a Sunday after 4pm.

And where else am I supposed to get these ingredients when my local shop is Asda, which closes at 4pm? I am not going to drive miles for a corner shop that *may* be open.
  • Options
    I just fancied doing it 5 minutes ago on a spur of the moment thing. If it was a Saturday then I could get the ingredients. However, it isn't Saturday. I can't do spur of the moment cooking magic on a Sunday after 4pm.
    Wait until Monday? Why the desperation to make a cheesecake? :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Wait until Monday? Why the desperation to make a cheesecake? :p

The cheesecake is an example and as I have the time to do such a thing I like to use it. Once Monday comes I shall have no time.

But that's not really the point though ... what if I needed something a bit more desperately that couldn't wait til the following day? It is just annoying.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Yes, but if I wanted to pay £1.50 for a pint of milk I'd go and milk the fucking cow myself. Until I fancy that, I'll buy 4 pints for 92p, or however much it costs.
  • Options
    But that's not really the point though ... what if I needed something a bit more desperately that couldn't wait til the following day? It is just annoying.
    Like what? Where I work, I've noticed that the last hour of trading is usually just people coming in for alcohol and cigarettes. Neither of which are what I would classify as essential items that people must have.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Like what? What could anyone possibly need so desperately that can't wait til Monday morning?

Its not about life or death needs. But what if i needed something for monday morning? What if i didnt have time to get it monday morning?

I dont think shops should have different opening times on a sunday. Theres no need for it!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Like what? Where I work, I've noticed that the last hour of trading is usually just people coming in for alcohol and cigarettes. Neither of which are what I would classify as essential items that people must have.

I'm sure smokers and alcoholics would disagree with you on that one.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

My local shop is a big Asda. We don't have any corner shops. What if I had a migraine and didn't have any tablets in the house? After 4pm I would be screwed and have to suffer until 8am when the shop opens again. Not my idea of a good night.

Just an example. But again, it isn't really the point. The whole Sunday trading thing is annoying, particularly as I am used to a better situation.
  • Options
    This is a bit off topic from Woolies opening hours but anyway...

The idea of supermarkets (or any shops) being open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is totally unnecessary and it scares me that there is such demand for access to shopping facilities at any given time.

It's not the way I'd like to see things go, anyway, but then I am one of the archaic crones who thinks shops (with the exception of wee corner shops etc) should go back to being closed on Sundays and having a half day on Wednesday ;) :thumb: Better for the staffs and Sunday is the day of chilling anyway... or, er, worship.
  • Options
    My local shop is a big Asda. We don't have any corner shops. What if I had a migraine and didn't have any tablets in the house? After 4pm I would be screwed and have to suffer until 8am when the shop opens again. Not my idea of a good night.
    Ah yes, the squeezing out of corner shops, to be replaced by Walmart, sorry, I mean, Asda. Anyway, yes, that would be more important. But in that case, why aren't pharmacies ever open on Sundays?

By the way, how many of you lot here work Monday to Friday? Curious...
    briggi wrote:
    It's not the way I'd like to see things go, anyway, but then I am one of the archaic crones who thinks shops (with the exception of wee corner shops etc) should go back to being closed on Sundays and having a half day on Wednesday...
    Half-day on Wednesday? This isn't universities we're talking about, it's shops! :p