Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Free Will - you only think you have it

Free will or not free will?

It might be possible that every single actions we do have bee predefined and that what we think we have more tha anything - free will - do not exist...
Underneath the uncertainty of quantum mechanics could lie a deeper reality in which, shockingly, all our actions are predetermined

"WE MUST believe in free will, we have no choice," the novelist Isaac Bashevis Singer once said. He might as well have said, "We must believe in quantum mechanics, we have no choice," if two new studies are anything to go by.

Early last month, a Nobel laureate physicist finished polishing up his theory that a deeper, deterministic reality underlies the apparent uncertainty of quantum mechanics. A week after he announced it, two eminent mathematicians showed that the theory has profound implications beyond physics: abandoning the uncertainty of quantum physics means we must give up the cherished notion that we have free will. The mathematicians believe the physicist is wrong.

Full article in the Newscientist.

The Free Will Theorem

So what are you thoughts...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maths only measures the perceptions of the observer, not reality itself, therefore any conclusions from derived maths are flawed.

Quantum theory is also bullshit. However, we do not have free will, because everything is decided at the unconscious level or awareness.
  • Options
    thousands of years of philosophy has failed to come up with any definitive answer...
  • Options
    So when it comes down to it, there is no certainty we have it or not.

Do you think we have free will or not?
    If so what tell you we really have it?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I don't know whether or not we do, and I don't think it matters all that much. It's one of those discussions that's quite diverting and entertaining, but ultimately a bit pointless because at the end of it all, we still have to get things done. We still have to make decisions about what to do and so like that quote above, we have to believe we have free will even if we don't.

It's like those conversations about "How do we even know we exist? What if I am just dreaming all this? Maybe it's like The Matrix and we're all asleep?" Interesting and thought provoking for a while, but at the end of the day, you have to assume you do exist, otherwise you couldn't leave the house or get anything done.

Why do you have to assume you exist or have free will to get by?

If everything is predefined, it doesn't stop you from doing anything, everything is predefined therefor you will keep going no matter what you think as you have been predefined to do so...
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I don't know whether or not I have free will. But at the same time, I have to decide what life plan to pursue, which career to choose, which person to marry, and no one else is going to make those decisions for me, and I'm guessing no almighty creator or all-seeing oracle is going to whisper the answers in my ear. So I have to make the decision as if I have free will, even though it may be all predetermined anyway. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how coherently I'm wording this.

It does make sense, and sums up how I feel about the topic.

I personally believe that I have free will because it's the way I want to look at my life and the decisions and choices I've made, and also because I'm pretty skeptical of the murmurings of "destiny" and "fate". Of course, I'm aware that free will could be a total crock, but like you said I'm not going to get anything else done if I sit around pondering it :p
  • Options
    i think free will depends on how it is defined.

some may say that i have free will cos i make decision in my life, such as caree path, who to wed, etc. however, it could be that, we do not simply make choices because it is the choice we want. every decision we make, wether major (eg career) or minor (eg clothes) may be directly influenced by, if you may, the context of our life or the moment.

a simple example. welschy chooses to become a farmer. why? cos welschy likes sheep. so you can say that welschy's occupational choice is determined by his experience or the past.

perhaps it is not us that makes the decision for us but our experience and environment, including interactions of particles. if this is so, perhaps the question is, is this free will?

:banghead:
  • Options
    so if i shoot klint ...my defence will be i didn't make the decision?
  • Options
    so if i shoot klint ...my defence will be i didn't make the decision?
    well arguably you didnt make the decision. some external factors meant that you were channeled through to make the decision.

however, in the eyes of society that is not correct and you will be dealt with accordingky.

a simple example. lets say there are two situations where the wife was fucked by the brother. now one husband shoots the brother while the other didnt. the shooter perhaps murdered the borther because thw husband had violent tendency. or the tolerance level isnt as high as the non-shooter.

so arguably its these factors that led to the event, not the decision per se
  • Options
    I don't believe in free will at all. We are shaped by our experiences long before we have any control over the world, from our very moment of conception. Our personality, who we are is shaped by our genetics, our upbringing, the people we interact with, our experiences in life from the moment we are born. At the end of the day, any decisions I make have a cause, and that cause in term has a cause, and there are a chain of causes ranging back from a time before I had any control over my life.

But I do think it is important for us to think we have free will on an everyday level.
  • Options
    surely if i choose to write this pointless post then i have free will......
  • Options
    surely if i choose to write this pointless post then i have free will......

How do you know for sure tho?
  • Options
    i was destined to write this post.
  • Options
    i was destined to write this post.
    betta watchit klint ...
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    I thought you said Free Willy!!!!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    thousands of years of philosophy has failed to come up with any definitive answer...
    Well Sartre believed in it.
  • Options
    I thought you said Free Willy!!!!

:lol: And you came in cos you are looking for one? :p
  • Options
    I believe in free will over Destiny... Destiny to me seems to be a cop out of personal responsiblity.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    However, we do not have free will, because everything is decided at the unconscious level or awareness.

Correct!
  • Options
    In certain aspects of life we do. For instance I can choose to go to the shop or not. I didn't however chose my parents,environment or background. These things affect my life and are out of my control. Destiny? Who knows? Who actually gives a fuck?
  • Options
    This was too boring to read past the first 6 posts!

Free will, no free will, who cares!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    In certain aspects of life we do. For instance I can choose to go to the shop or not. I didn't however chose my parents,environment or background. These things affect my life and are out of my control. Destiny? Who knows? Who actually gives a fuck?
    Your background does not determine your free will, nor does your environment. You become who you want to be and unless you have some sort of physical disability, or are in prison you still have a degree of freedom and control over who you become.

Granted we always feel like we've been held back probably because we compare ourselves so much to other people and their situations... And in the 'physical world' maybe you won't be the next Einstein or Mozart, but it doesn't mean you don't have control over your own actions.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    To the people who said "I have free will because I chose to do this":
    I chose to go to the shop because I wanted to buy something. I dismissed the option of not buying it because I'm used to buying stuff that I think I need. This is because of what has happened in the past.
    You can follow down this path. Making a choice doesn't mean you have free will; if you say it does you probably haven't understood what those who say you might not have it meant.

Besides all that, however... what does it matter if stuff are predetermined or not? As far as we know, it's the same either way. We do what we do because we think is right, and that choice possibly being predetermined doesn't make the slightest difference.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Free Will?

I ain't free, Biatch.
  • Options
    For those who believe that things are predetermined.. predetermined by whom or what?
  • Options
    Your background does not determine your free will, nor does your environment.

You're joking right?
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    For those who believe that things are predetermined.. predetermined by whom or what?

Santa Claus.
  • Options
    I believe in free will over Destiny... Destiny to me seems to be a cop out of personal responsiblity.

Agree. There's a difference between only ever being able to take one road and there only ever being one road to take.