Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cup final

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And how many times have we won it?

I don't understand how other team supporters can't be graceful and congratulate Liverpool on the win instead of "cussing" like schoolchildren.
    Pathetic.

Fair enough, we didn't deserve to win just because we were so damn sloppy in defence, but we fought till the end and won it by a miracle.
    So, we've won the best Champions League Final ever, the best UEFA Cup final ever and now the best FA Cup final ever (arguably).

The whole damn world knows WHEN THE REDS GO MARCHING IN!!!
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    So, we've won the best Champions League Final ever

nope.
  • Options
    Don't suppose you'd care to elaborate?
  • Options
    I don't think penalties are any way to decide a final.
  • Options
    Fair enough, that is your personal opinion and I respect that.
    My opinion is that the reason it was the best final was the way Liverpool came back from 3:0 down and the atmosphere and the recreation of the "wobbly legs" by Dudek and the whole jubilation of Liverpool supporters in the end.

Sometimes, 90 minutes is not enough.

PS Maybe we should adopt the NBA method and play as many OT's as needed for one team to win? ;)
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    and the recreation of the "wobbly legs" by Dudek

and the subsequent saves which were performed almost at the taker's legs :p

PS Maybe we should adopt the NBA method and play as many OT's as needed for one team to win? ;)

Maybe.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    I don't understand how other team supporters can't be graceful and congratulate Liverpool on the win instead of "cussing" like schoolchildren.
    Pathetic.
    I agree its absolutely pathetic, neutral supporters should be glad they got to see one of the best FA cup finals in history and also congratulate Liverpool. Was much better than sitting through the Arsenal v Scumbags tripe last season.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I don't think penalties are any way to decide a final.
    But when it gets to 120 minutes and everyones fucked it is the only way, apart from a replay which no-one really wants. Don't believe you can argue that Liverpools Champions league final was arguably the best. I've seen a lot of football games in my short life and that final stands out to me as probably one of the best games I have ever seen.
  • Options
    ...and I like games that are decided by clear goals. Always have, always will.

The Liverpool game was dramatic and entertaining but for it to end how it did, especially with Dudek's rule breaking, didn't really do it justice. Penalties are essentially a lottery.
  • Options
    Am I sensing sour grapes all over these boards lately?? :sour:
  • Options
    Yes, because I only started disliking penalties when Liverpool won on them. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Yes, because I only started disliking penalties when Liverpool won on them. :rolleyes:
    especially with Dudek's rule breaking
    Sour grapes anyone?? :sour:
  • Options
    I don't like cheating either. At least if there's going to be a penalty shootout, it should be fair. But it would be best to scrap them altogether.
  • Options
    Sour grapes anyone?? :sour:

I don't know about that but "wobbly legs" is not cheating. It was when Grob did it in Rome, but the rules have changed.

So long as he's on his line he can move and I think that's what Addict is referring to.

I agree that penalties are not the best solution, but there has to be one and unless you have endless replys, it's the best option available IMHO.
  • Options
    Am I sensing sour grapes all over these boards lately?? :sour:

It really can't be, I mean what do our resident Man United fans have to be sour about?

I mean I might see your point if they finished the season with nothing to play for, having been knocked out of the Champions League in a pathetically easy group, failed miserably in the FA Cup and the only thing they had to shout about was a meaningless trophy that they've written off as being a nothing trophy for the last 15 years and a treble season seven years ago when they could just as easily have won fuck all. I mean they finished second in the league for God's sake, that's so much more to shout about than getting to the CL final/winning the FA Cup, it means you don't have to play an extra qualifying round against Dynamo Tbuhrueywruqyzz in the CL next year for fucks sake!

Never sour grapes in a million years, mate.
  • Options
    So how does not liking penalty shootouts equate to sour grapes again?

Some people are a bit deranged.
  • Options
    Because Man Utd aren't too hot on penalty shootouts, and Liverpool are.

Duh.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    having been knocked out of the Champions League in a pathetically easy group

With only the one semi-finalist and the team who also knowcked Liverpool out.
    failed miserably in the FA Cup

Beaten by the winners
    the only thing they had to shout about was a meaningless trophy that they've written off as being a nothing trophy for the last 15 years

..and still do ;)

You forgot that we finished second in the league, so let's get a sense of perspective here. Compared to our dizzy heights it wasn't a successful season, but I know that there are about 90 league clubs who would happily swap places.

Plus a couple [or more] from Scotland :p
    it means you don't have to play an extra qualifying round against Dynamo Tbuhrueywruqyzz in the CL next year for fucks sake!

Do keep up. Unlike in the tinpot league up north, second place is automatic qualification :p

What you are getting here is a sense of not getting carried away. It was a resonable cup final, but nothing to get into the history books with. It was a reasonable goal, but Villa's was better [as was Giggs semi-final goal ;) ] and Arsenal have done well to get to the Champions League final playing defensive football, as opposed to their usual style.

But this doesn't mean that any of the players are the greatest since George Best, not does it mean that any of those teams are capable of achieving the single greatest team performance in English history - namely the '99 treble. I think that what the last few years have proven is just how great that achievement was.

Shame we didn't follow it up.

And yes, kermit, we haven't done too well in penalty shoot-out, but then neither have the national team. It's a shit way to lose, and it's a shit way to win. I'd like to think that there was a better way. Until there is, I guess we're stuck with it.
  • Options
    Those who think penalty shoot outs are too unfair should remember that it used to be decided by the flick of a coin.

In the 1950 World Cup Spain ''lost'' the semi final to Brazil by a simple game of heads or tails. I'll take the penalties over that any time :mad:

If a fairer tie-breaker were to be found it should be based on the skill and performance of the teams- who had more shoots on target or percentage of completed passes etc. But that's really never going to happen is it?

Even though penalty shootouts are not exactly fair I'd still prefer them over a replay.
  • Options

achieving the single greatest team performance in English history - namely the '99 treble

European history. ;) As far as I know, no other team has done the treble.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    European history. ;) As far as I know, no other team has done the treble.

What treble would that be? Liverpool won 5 trophies in the 2000-2001 season. Anywhoo, Liverpool have had 2 of the best games ever in last seasons CL and this seasons FA cup...no one can deny that like!
  • Options
    Yes but that doesnt make them good, they are crap through and through :yes:

aschluch!! :D
  • Options
    You forgot that we finished second in the league, so let's get a sense of perspective here. Compared to our dizzy heights it wasn't a successful season, but I know that there are about 90 league clubs who would happily swap places..

I know, but my point was that the only real reward for finishing second rather than fourth is that you don't have to play FC Gyegygywfqzvzga for a spot in the group stages. I still think MUFC should be a lot closer to Chelski than they are, I think this summer the board have to give Fergie funds, and I mean proper funds.
    But this doesn't mean that any of the players are the greatest since George Best, not does it mean that any of those teams are capable of achieving the single greatest team performance in English history - namely the '99 treble. I think that what the last few years have proven is just how great that achievement was

I don't disagree that it was a great achievement, partly because it was a really great team effort and luck on their side, I think the only truly world class player in the team was Schmeichel and maybe Keane/Stam. The rest were good players, but none were really world class and it'll be the team that go down in history, rather than any especially fantastic players. It's said that it'll never be done again, and that's because I don't think anybody would ever get that amount of luck in one season again.

As for Arsenal, I think they play counter attacking because it suits them that way. They could have won 3-0 in Madrid with no complaints playing that way. If they play defensive against Barca then they'll get thrashed, end of. It doesn't mean they're any less deserving, maybe if certain other teams played to their strengths more then they might not have finished 4th in a group they were seeded 1st in.
  • Options
    nthe single greatest team performance in English history - namely the '99 treble. I think that what the last few years have proven is just how great that achievement was.

Or how much luck you need to do something like that.

An inch to the left in the last minute at Villa Park and you probably wouldn't have won two of those three trophies.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Or how much luck you need to do something like that.

An inch to the left in the last minute at Villa Park and you probably wouldn't have won two of those three trophies.

What an incredibly stupid thing to say.

You could go on about infinite little occurances that 'if such and such didn't happen then this wouldn't have happened'.

Fact is, it's silly people clutching at straws trying to take away from the achievement. The fact that Giggs's goal was one of the best ever scored, makes this an even more ludicrous point. There was nothing lucky about it, it was pure individual skill and a pin-point finish. The type of magical moment you need to win you trophies. :)
  • Options
    Giggs goal was quite good, but I've seen better. As much as Giggs' finish was wonderful, Dixon should have tackled him and Vieira shouldn't have given the ball away so stupidly.

Besides which, this was the exact same argument the Man Utd lot used against Arsenal.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Giggs goal was quite good, but I've seen better. As much as Giggs' finish was wonderful, Dixon should have tackled him and Vieira shouldn't have given the ball away so stupidly.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Fact is, Arsenal had one of the best defences around, and Giggsy just waltzed through them. If defenders did what they should all the time, we'd have no goals. It's all about forcing them into a mistake, which Giggs does brilliantly by running directly at people, and they don't know what way to look. Who's to say if Dixon had of went for the challenge he wouldn't have been skinned anyway.

Besides which, this was the exact same argument the Man Utd lot used against Arsenal.

I don't know what you're talking about.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Fact is, it's silly people clutching at straws trying to take away from the achievement. The fact that Giggs's goal was one of the best ever scored, makes this an even more ludicrous point. There was nothing lucky about it, it was pure individual skill and a pin-point finish. The type of magical moment you need to win you trophies. :)

If it wasn't for a massive slice of luck, you wouldn't have got that far. If I remember rightly, Overmars or Anelka (can't remember) had a legitiimate goal disallowed in the first game anyway.

If it wasn't for Kaba Diawara fucking up against Leeds the midweek before the league was won, you might well have not won the league. Fuck it, if you had been playing anyone other than Spurs on the last day you probably wouldn't have won the league. I still say any team that wins the league by that amount is more lucky than anything else.

Not saying it wasn't an achievement, but let's not pretend you didn't get fucking lucky that year.
  • Options
    I don't believe in luck. It doesn't exist. These things just happen, they're all just outcomes. Whether something else should have or could have happened is totally irrelevant. You make your own luck as well at times I suppose, but it doesn't exist, so you don't.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    If it wasn't for a massive slice of luck, you wouldn't have got that far. If I remember rightly, Overmars or Anelka (can't remember) had a legitiimate goal disallowed in the first game anyway.

But so did Keane...

When Arsenal went their season unbeaten the first thing the Man Utd lot on this forum did was whinge about jammy they were. You can't have it both ways.