Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rammell: Teach "core British values"

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Yep no violence or persecution there. :rolleyes:

i thought we learnt a lesson from it, i have from studying it in the past
  • Options
    So, apart from slavish obedience and class obsession, what are core British values? I mean, this is the country that executed a king only to put his heir on the throne when the executioner was dead. Its hardly like we have a history of equality, fraternity and fighting for our freedom.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    So, apart from slavish obedience and class obsession, what are core British values? I mean, this is the country that executed a king only to put his heir on the throne when the executioner was dead. Its hardly like we have a history of equality, fraternity and fighting for our freedom.

Wasn't it the English who executed him, not the British (and it does tend to suggest that slavish obedience isn't a particually accurate term, as does the resitance to the rule of law suggested by this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4774059.stm. )

And class obsession is more an English obsession than British - the rest of us tend to be obsessed about different thing
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Wasn't it the English who executed him, not the British (and it does tend to suggest that slavish obedience isn't a particually accurate term, as does the resitance to the rule of law suggested by this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4774059.stm. )

And class obsession is more an English obsession than British - the rest of us tend to be obsessed about different thing

OK, true enough. I have a English biased view, as someone who has lived in England for years (though not being British). But Britain, as a political entity, has hardly been better. Apart from expansionism and the odd brilliantly eccentric noble, we havent had much of a history of anything else. Britain is primarily linked to empire through our history and down to the present cutural ties.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    OK, true enough. I have a English biased view, as someone who has lived in England for years (though not being British). But Britain, as a political entity, has hardly been better. Apart from expansionism and the odd brilliantly eccentric noble, we havent had much of a history of anything else. Britain is primarily linked to empire through our history and down to the present cutural ties.

Again you mean apart from such things as Parliamentary democracy, the rule of law, the concept of an independent judiciary, the suppression of the slave trade, etc, etc.
  • Options
    Oh look a list of compromises made by those with power towards those they prey off.

Where does the end of that process lead I wonder?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The business of government is destroying everything.
    no ...the business of consuming is destroying everything.
  • Options
    no ...the business of consuming is destroying everything.

In order to consume you must first create. In order to carry on doing so you must save part of what you could have consumed to help with still further creation.

This is why capitalism (even the state run collectivistic crap we have now) is superior to all other systems. Capitalism is inherently creative and the ground state of being for all life. Anything that attempts to go against it is destructive.
  • Options
    Hey Klintock, you ever read any Bill Warren? He's a New Marxist scholar, but you may like him, as unlike most Marxists he remembers what Karl actually said about capitalism. His book makes an interesting case for the beneficial effects of capitalism in British imperialism.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    In order to consume you must first create. In order to carry on doing so you must save part of what you could have consumed to help with still further creation.

This is why capitalism (even the state run collectivistic crap we have now) is superior to all other systems. Capitalism is inherently creative and the ground state of being for all life. Anything that attempts to go against it is destructive.
    you said the business of government is destroying everything ...i said no ...consumerism is destroying everything and then you came up with this meaningless retort.
    what does it mean ...if anything?
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Hey Klintock, you ever read any Bill Warren? He's a New Marxist scholar, but you may like him, as unlike most Marxists he remembers what Karl actually said about capitalism. His book makes an interesting case for the beneficial effects of capitalism in British imperialism.

klintock doesn't read books
  • Options
    Yep, I go off primary experience and that's why I am so rarely wrong.

Senses FTW!

Blagsta however would tell you that pixies caused economic and political chaos using fairy dust if it that information came from something leatherbound and written by beardy weirdy 19th century "intellectuals".