Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rammell: Teach "core British values"

The long-running debate about what it means to be British rumbles on. Following the horrendous bombings in London last July, the Government was not content with its gift to us last week. They called them reports, we called them meaningless whitewash that leaves more questions than answers. Now, they are intent on yet more fiddling with the education system.

The Beeb informs us: "The government is to review whether 'core British values' should become a compulsory part of the curriculum for all 11 to 16-year-olds in England. In response to last year's London bombings, ministers want to adapt the current citizenship classes in an attempt to make society more unified. But critics say the definition of British values is too vague and education cannot prevent extremism. A second review, of the teaching of Islam in universities, is also planned." >> Story here >>

I was particularly drawn to what the Education Minister, Bill Rammell, believes on the issue. He claims "We know that young people of all faiths and of none are more prone to become radicalised than other groups in society. This is true in terms of extreme left and extreme right politics, as well as extremist religious views.". It took you TEN months to come to that conclusion? Anyone on this board could have told you that in five minutes!

The opposition claims Labour's had years to deal with this. Boris Johnson also notes the refusal to teach British history in schools as a factor. True, I remember loads of stuff about the Nazis and Henry VIII, but little else from my GCSEs and A-Levels. I can't help but feel something's being missed here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Will teaching "British values" in schools help to deal with terrorism? Or is this yet more gesture politics from our useless government? Does it have more to do with what's happening in Iraq, or other world events?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whats the worst thing that you can do? Ban something, you ban the teaching of islam in universities its going to smell of intolerance and much worse.

Look at all of the followers of islam in the world, only a very small number of them are twisted and interpret it in their own misguided way. If you teach it at universities then you get a generation of bright young british minds, that understand it, and hopefully help the rest of us uneducated understand the differences between what we often perceive of islam in the papers, and what is actually the truth.
  • Options
    What has teaching British history got to do with British culture. The only thing you'll find bout British history is the distinct appetite for war and imperialism. (Like most other European countries)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    turlough wrote:
    What has teaching British history got to do with British culture. The only thing you'll find bout British history is the distinct appetite for war and imperialism. (Like most other European countries)

It is another useless stupid cack-handed government scheme that will fail.

There are many ways to combat terrorism. This isn't one at all, infact, I'd say it was more likley to backfire.
  • Options
    The dissillushionment of young British Muslims has nothing to do with culture. The bombers who bombed London were seen regularly playing football and cricket with secular clothes and using coloqual language. It goes deeper than just assimilating with culture.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

:yes: That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Also, I have to wonder what "British values" are and how idiotic you'd have to be to imagine that there are blanket values and attributes which you can apply to every British person and their feelings Britain.
  • Options
    >Usual pointing out of obvious facts goes here<

This is the chief business of the state as far as schooling is concerned, teaching utter, utter nonsense with a totally straight face.

Remember this as your first child goes off to kiddie prison for the first time, to be horribly moulded by these idiots whims.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    >Usual pointing out of obvious facts goes here<

This is the chief business of the state as far as schooling is concerned, teaching utter, utter nonsense with a totally straight face.

Remember this as your first child goes off to kiddie prison for the first time, to be horribly moulded by these idiots whims.

:lol: But so fucking true.

"Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed"

True, that is. Name hte quotee for bonus points.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    The only thing you'll find bout British history is the distinct appetite for war and imperialism. (Like most other European countries)

The English Reformation? Ending slavery? And fighting Nazi Germany was hardly imperialistic, nor was the English Civil War. Or the restoration of the monarchy.
  • Options
    The part that made me laugh was the british value of "free speech", something which the Govt seems determined to undermine at every opportunity...
  • Options
    The part that made me laugh was the british value of "free speech", something which the Govt seems determined to undermine at every opportunity...
    They could start by letting people protest outside of Parliament again without first having to apply for permission to Sir Ian Blair. This arrangement hardly inspires confidence. What does the Government think protesters are going to do? Are they going to throw explosive flags into the Houses of Parliament or something?
  • Options
    The English Reformation?

Yep no violence or persecution there. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The thing is though, citizenship is an important subject that should be taught in KS3 as highlighted by the National Curriculum. This whole "being British" thing is covered in there. If it is taught properly then there is no need to add anything else to it.

The whole thing is daft as it won't make any difference, I think.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yep no violence or persecution there. :rolleyes:

The English Reformation wasn’t particularly violent, certainly not compared to Europe – the religious strife and persecution mostly came later.

And I certainly wouldn’t call it imperialistic, if anything ending papal influence was anti-imperialist. Still – don’t let facts get in the way of attacking England.

Should Northern Irish kids learn about the IRA’s links to the Nazis?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The long-running debate about what it means to be British rumbles on. Following the horrendous bombings in London last July, the Government was not content with its gift to us last week. They called them reports, we called them meaningless whitewash that leaves more questions than answers. Now, they are intent on yet more fiddling with the education system.

The Beeb informs us: "The government is to review whether 'core British values' should become a compulsory part of the curriculum for all 11 to 16-year-olds in England. In response to last year's London bombings, ministers want to adapt the current citizenship classes in an attempt to make society more unified. But critics say the definition of British values is too vague and education cannot prevent extremism. A second review, of the teaching of Islam in universities, is also planned." >> Story here >>

I was particularly drawn to what the Education Minister, Bill Rammell, believes on the issue. He claims "We know that young people of all faiths and of none are more prone to become radicalised than other groups in society. This is true in terms of extreme left and extreme right politics, as well as extremist religious views.". It took you TEN months to come to that conclusion? Anyone on this board could have told you that in five minutes!

The opposition claims Labour's had years to deal with this. Boris Johnson also notes the refusal to teach British history in schools as a factor. True, I remember loads of stuff about the Nazis and Henry VIII, but little else from my GCSEs and A-Levels. I can't help but feel something's being missed here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Will teaching "British values" in schools help to deal with terrorism? Or is this yet more gesture politics from our useless government? Does it have more to do with what's happening in Iraq, or other world events?
    sorry but this comes across as a complete pile of bollox.
    what the hell are these british valyues you speak of ...do the welsh rhink the same as the english ...do the scots hold all thats dear the same as the spanish?
    and i agree with klints post.
  • Options
    sorry but this comes across as a complete pile of bollox.
    what the hell are these british valyues you speak of ...do the welsh rhink the same as the english ...do the scots hold all thats dear the same as the spanish?
    Don't you see, Rolly? That is exactly what I am saying too. Look at the fact I put "British values" in inverted commas. What does this mean? What values are British, and what aren't? It's not me who first used the term, it's the Government. I don't know what they mean by "British values" either.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Don't you see, Rolly? That is exactly what I am saying too. Look at the fact I put "British values" in inverted commas. What does this mean? What values are British, and what aren't? It's not me who first used the term, it's the Government. I don't know what they mean by "British values" either.
    sorry SG ...read it wrong must have.
  • Options
    sorry SG ...read it wrong must have.
    Don't worry about it. It's been a long-running debate. The media often asks "what is British" and other such questions. The fact it's so difficult to come up with a definitive answer might be indicative of how difficult it is to describe what the identity of Britain is today. It's questionable whether the UK, as an entity, has an identity anymore.
  • Options
    British doesn't mean anything really. To use it as an adjective is stupid. It's the usual crap of assuming that people will live or think a certain way, just because you've given them a certain label.

But then I suppose they need their next generation of soldiers to die for them out of pride for their country.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    difficult it is to describe what the identity of Britain is today. It's questionable whether the UK, as an entity, has an identity anymore.
    i think you'll find behind all the political bullshit ...anywhere in the world ...people want peace security and happiness ...for themselves and their children.
    to simplistic?
  • Options
    i think you'll find behind all the political bullshit ...anywhere in the world ...people want peace security and happiness ...for themselves and their children. to simplistic?
    No, not really. People in this country want peace. They want security, for example, being able to walk around our cities without the risk of being blown up by suicide bombers. Much the same as what people in Iraq want right now, or those in Palestine/Israel, and countless other parts of the world.
  • Options
    Should Northern Irish kids learn about the IRA’s links to the Nazis?

Why not? A lot already do. And the links were tenious at best.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    The sad truth is, the Nazis had links to a hell of a lot more than the IRA. This was a regime intent on world domination, don't forget.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Fairnuf. I guess my point, (I really wasn’t trying to wind you up..) :p was that lots of countries have pretty negative aspects to their history. Britain certainly has many shameful aspects to its past but I think there should be more focus than there currently is on some positive events in our history. Stuff like Magna Carta. And when covering the slave trade more should be given to the fact that Britain was also one of the first to end it, (the second I think after Denmark) and enforced that principle on others.

People have many different ideas on the purpose of history but in the context of ‘citizenship’ I think teaching British history can be beneficial, by people being aware that Britain has been a force for good as well as self-interest – and that today the choices politicians make affect the way Britain will be viewed by future historians I think citizenship/civic duty is promoted to an extent.
  • Options
    People have many different ideas on the purpose of history but in the context of ‘citizenship’ I think teaching British history can be beneficial, by people being aware that Britain has been a force for good as well as self-interest – and that today the choices politicians make affect the way Britain will be viewed by future historians I think citizenship/civic duty is promoted to an extent.
    I wonder how historians will perceive the government that took Britain to war on the basis of lies. What will history make of a government that does so much to crush free speech? And what to say about the Legislative & Regulatory Reform Bill?

As for Britain being "a force for good as well as self-interest", couldn't similar things be said about the USA today?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I wonder how historians will perceive the government that took Britain to war on the basis of lies. What will history make of a government that does so much to crush free speech? And what to say about the Legislative & Regulatory Reform Bill?

As for Britain being "a force for good as well as self-interest", couldn't similar things be said about the USA today?

Every country throughout history has been motivated to an extent by self-interest. Colonialism and the Empire was pretty much purely for Britain’s benefit, although some people point to a few (arguably debatable) positive consequences of the British Empire. Today, I believe that Britain is generally a force for good in the world but that’s not say Britain’s actions are not influenced by self-interest.

I don’t know how the Iraq War will later be viewed. It’s already been concluded as poorly executed, I think that will stick. But I believe Blair very sincerely believed he was doing the right thing, the far left label of Blair as some ‘warmongering imperialist’ doesn’t wash. The rightness of the Iraq War will be easier judged in context, if Iraq blossoms into a liberal democracy then perhaps it won’t be seen as a bad idea. But if the danger from Iran grows to such an extent that it looks like there truly is a case for invading Iran – but the US has its hands tied in Iraq, then perhaps invading Iraq with the absence of any real danger will be seen as a mistake, if not a fatal mistake should Iran get nukes and use them.
  • Options
    I don’t know how the Iraq War will later be viewed. It’s already been concluded as poorly executed, I think that will stick. But I believe Blair very sincerely believed he was doing the right thing, the far left label of Blair as some ‘warmongering imperialist’ doesn’t wash. The rightness of the Iraq War will be easier judged in context, if Iraq blossoms into a liberal democracy then perhaps it won’t be seen as a bad idea. But if the danger from Iran grows to such an extent that it looks like there truly is a case for invading Iran – but the US has its hands tied in Iraq, then perhaps invading Iraq with the absence of any real danger will be seen as a mistake, if not a fatal mistake should Iran get nukes and use them.
    I don't believe Blair is an imperialist. Nor do I believe that this was some kind of crusade to spread the message of Christianity. The war was about getting hold of more oil, and about Bush getting revenge. Nothing to do with non-existent WMD. It's hard to tell whether Blair was sincere. When he talked about WMD before the war, for a while, I suspected he genuinely believed what he was saying. But this is an ability that Blair has - to believe his own words. So, exactly what's true may never be known.

Will Iraq "blossom" into a liberal democracy? I don't know, but I hope to dear God that it doesn't end up just becoming a land for a regime even worse than Saddam Hussein's.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    . . The war was about getting hold of more oil, and about Bush getting revenge.
    Will Iraq "blossom" into a liberal democracy? I don't know, but I hope to dear God that it doesn't end up just becoming a land for a regime even worse than Saddam Hussein's.
    the war was planned and penned in reagans day ...oil yes.
    no ...iraq has no chance of ...'blossoming' ...into a democracy.
    it is alien to the area.
    you have this westernised blindspot that democracy is the ultimate for mankind ...whilst you moan and groan and denigrate it at every step.
  • Options
    Oil prices have rocketed since the Iraq War. Less oil is being pumped now than before the war...
  • Options
    Oil prices are reasonably static, it's the fucking currency that's crashing because the western governments printed a shitlod to pay for their death dealing.

The business of government is destroying everything.
  • Options
    Oil prices have rocketed since the Iraq War. Less oil is being pumped now than before the war...
    meaning the oil barrons are making money easier than ever ...along with this government.