Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Car

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How soon do you need this new car? Cause if you're prepared to wait til September or so, the prices of these Corsa's should lower as a new model is coming out which should slash those prices.
  • Options
    Don't like the KA at all - maybe I'm just fussy but I don't!! Thanks anyway!
    ford ka just looks like a giant bug on the road... :yuck:
  • Options
    How soon do you need this new car? Cause if you're prepared to wait til September or so, the prices of these Corsa's should lower as a new model is coming out which should slash those prices.
    Well, I am taking my driving test 9th June and really hope to pass, but not relying on it just in case. I start my placement 12th June and would be great to be able to drive there other wise it's a lot of hassle and a lot of time!
    Shame it's not september!
  • Options
    I think they are good for a first car. Much prefer the body colour bumpers than the cheap black bumpers.
  • Options
    :confused:

Prices for the new old-shapes will tumble as dealers try to clear the stock, but second hand prices aren't drastically affected when a model is updated.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    just as a side line my favourite car atm is the VW golf GTi ... :heart:

It best be a mk2 16v, or one of the latest ones! Otherwise you'll have gone down in my estimations significantly! ;)
  • Options
    Between the Punto, 106, and Saxo, id choose a Saxo. My mum had a Saxo VTR and she loved it.

VW and Honda make much better cars, but they're not that cheap.

What about a Seat Ibiza? VW quality but not as expensive. They're nice cars.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Name one pro for a Punto.

The handling for a start, and if you like the upright, higher up driving position - that's another.

Also I think they look nice with the right wheels
  • Options
    I wouldn't get a punto. Or anything by Fiat. Fiat and electrical problems go hand in hand.
    Can't comment on 106s, other than i've heard that they're nippy due to small size.
    Saxos same again.

I drive a Corsa, and for a first car it has been fantastic, never failed me, except when i ran the battery flat. Same with my girlfriend's, except for one incident where i snapped the handbrake cable (Not doing handbrake turns or anything, the handbrake cables aren't so good on vhalls) Which was my own fault. Other than that, look into Clios - again, heard mostly positive info about them, and other low powered cars. Its your choice at the end of the day, make sure you shop around.

FireyFirenze might try to convince you to get a Daewoo Matiz, but i'd personally opt for a car that could reach 50mph :p
  • Options
    I think out of the three I'd go tfor the 106, but i think that's more just down to personal preference (and I can't (legally) drive) but I know many friends who went for Fiats and regretted it, other than that, up to you!
  • Options
    neither, they are all very ugly (hatchbacks ewwww :p) and have absoutly no power!! 120hp for the pergot and that was the most!!! :lol: My bike is more powerful! And I don't even own a bike.

At the very least, get a civic si sedan. Economically nice, cute and its at least got 197hp with at least 139 lb/ft torque.

Edit: And its discutsingly cheap!!
  • Options
    True, but insurance wise for a first car, quite wise I feel!
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I'm so confused now! So many options and so many different opinions. It's good to hear them all and I really appreciate your replies and comments. I have almost fallen for a metallic fiat red punto I found on autotrader - it's 2001, 3 door, electric windows, c/c (not sure if that is climate control or colour coded (think maybe the latter) and guessing it's nto cruise control!, it's got PAS, quad stereo (whatever that means), it's had a new clutch, gearbox and exhaust (which worries me but it doesn't at same time as what else might go, but at least these are new), 11 months MOT and 2months tax all for only £1,599 - should this be completely ignored?
  • Options
    looking at the Whatcar reviews the Punto comes out best and says that it is reliable
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    have absoutly no power!! 120hp for the pergot and that was the most!!! :lol: My bike is more powerful! And I don't even own a bike.

At the very least, get a civic si sedan. Economically nice, cute and its at least got 197hp with at least 139 lb/ft torque.

For a first car? Don't be silly.

Out of the three - go for the Pug.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You said you don't like Skodas, is that because of the name?
    The newer ones actually have vw engines in them which makes them good.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    New Skoda's are excellent.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    You said you don't like Skodas, is that because of the name?
    The newer ones actually have vw engines in them which makes them good.
    I just don't like the shape of the small skoda cars - the "businessmen" cars look nice but I need a cheap little run around!
  • Options
    Also, has anyone ever bought a car from ebay? I am looking at a few which seem good but I'm a little sceptical and anxious about buying from ebay - suppose if I check out the car first with my dad then it can't be that bad - what are your thoughts?
    Thanks x
  • Options
    I've bought and sold a few on eBay, with good results each time. If the item isn't exactly as described, and the seller won't negotiate, then walk away.

Always be cautious though, as many folk will be quick to rip you off. eBay is a great place to trade all sorts of things, but you have to be on your guard.

If you see any cars you like, then send me a link to them and I'll gladly give you my thoughts on the car in the advert. :)
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I'm so confused now! So many options and so many different opinions. It's good to hear them all and I really appreciate your replies and comments. I have almost fallen for a metallic fiat red punto I found on autotrader - it's 2001, 3 door, electric windows, c/c (not sure if that is climate control or colour coded (think maybe the latter) and guessing it's nto cruise control!, it's got PAS, quad stereo (whatever that means), it's had a new clutch, gearbox and exhaust (which worries me but it doesn't at same time as what else might go, but at least these are new), 11 months MOT and 2months tax all for only £1,599 - should this be completely ignored?
    Walk away. For that much to go wrong in 5 years, the car is a puppy. New gearbox? That car's been driven into the ground.

As with everything in life, you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    Not always true - sometimes gearboxes die as a result of oil leaking from them. Sometimes they're of a weak design, sometimes they're abused.

Gearboxes on last cars last a long, long time in general.
  • Options
    So the last owner's neglected routine servicing. If the tax and MOT are out of sync, it can suggest a tight-wad owner getting 6 months tax at a time.
  • Options
    I'm not a tightwad when it comes to my cars. But if I'm tight for cash, and the insurance, tax and MOT are all up at the same time, then I'll tax it for 6 months and pay the years insurance in one go as it works out cheaper.

Everything has to be judged on it's own merits. My Dad has three cars and four motorbikes - more often than not, a couple of them aren't taxed at any one time. It's just the way things pan out sometimes :).

Sometimes people forget about the MOT as well - there can be all kinds of reasoning behind the tax and MOT being at different times of the year. It's nice when they match up perfectly, but it isn't the end of the world if they don't. :)
  • Options
    Of course, but if you want a reliable second hand car, you'd want one that's been serviced annually and passed its most recent MoT. Common sense really. Of course when you own the car you can do what you like, but it's a buyer's market for superminis so she should shop around for a better car IMHO.

Would you recommend that Punto for her?
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't buy a punto, or even anything made by fiat. From the list you gave i would pick the 106 although i do think clio's (well the new shaped ones) are nice looking, good driving little cars.
  • Options
    Ive never even thought about MOT and tax being at the same time of year.
    I certainly dont care so long as its got one!!!
    Maybe its different when the car is only 5 years old or whatever, but as mine is a 1993 i can forgive it for its tax coming a month after its MOT and service, for which it has a full history.
  • Options
    I've bought and sold a few on eBay, with good results each time. If the item isn't exactly as described, and the seller won't negotiate, then walk away.

Always be cautious though, as many folk will be quick to rip you off. eBay is a great place to trade all sorts of things, but you have to be on your guard.

If you see any cars you like, then send me a link to them and I'll gladly give you my thoughts on the car in the advert. :)

many thanks,

Can you please give your thoughts on this car?

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=314037324

2000 FIAT Punto 1.2 5Dr,
    W reg. Silver with Blue interior, immaculate original condition throughout, PAS, city button, 12 months MOT, cheap Tax and insurance, recent cambelt change, above average miles hence bargain. £1,595

I am wary about the above average miles but I won't be doing many miles (maybe 6000 a year max).

Thanks x
  • Options
    The second corsa has a low mileage for a 5 year old car which is good but considering the price it's at now and there is still 5 days left on the auction i would expect it to go for around £4000 in the end.