Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Teaching qualifications/ TEFL

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Does anyone have any experience of teaching courses or TEFL courses?

I am hoping to become a science teacher in an international school (in Brazil) so I thought it might be worth doing this type of qualification as most of my pupils will have English as a second language (even though I will mostly be teaching science).

I've done a week long teaching skills course as compulsory training for my GAP year project and would like to do more. Also, I want to learn more of the methodology of teaching in general.

I am not required to have any qualification for the country I am going to be teaching in and like private schools here they are very flexible with qualifications anyway so my BSc is enough for them.

I don't want to do a PGCE here but I want to do something more part-time/ less stressful/ shorter time commitment.

Any ideas?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

may I ask which school you are going to be teaching at/and at what level?
    I was a student at the British School of Rio de Janeiro and then later was a gap year student/teaching assistant type deal there... if you are teaching at an international school you will not be required to have TEFL as theroetically every child in the school must have a certain standard of English, but they do like you to have the ability to teach more than one subject. Generally International schools require 2 years of teaching in your home country before you can be employed abroad, although some schools just really require native speakers.

surely there is a part time teacher training/tefl course type thing you could do beforehand?

sorry this is not greatly useful, was just interested in what you were doing!
  • Options
    Hey there on-the-road,

A school in Sao Paulo has expressed an interest in me but I am not sure of it's name (it is not one of the two Sao Paulo British schools though.) The school is actually a Jewish school but they teach mostly in English with some lessons in Portuguese and a couple in Hebrew. Most of the pupils are Brazilians but they are studying an international curriculum if that makes sense.

I have a friend who works at the school already and she loves it there! I would like to do TEFL so that I can better support the children with the English language as whilst I would be teaching science and/ or maths I would be doing so in English most of the time and some of my pupils might require additional language support. Also I would like to have more knowledge of teaching methodologies and I believe the teaching skills I would acquire doing a TEFL course would be transferable to another subject.

I had a look online last night and I found a couple of interesting courses that are an option so I will probably do one of those.

I know a couple of boys who visited your school in Rio on a choir tour! It's a small world!

Welcome to the site by the way :thumb: