Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Car

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Fiat Punto, Citroen Saxo or Peugeot 106?

I'm looking at buying my first car and seen some on Autotrader for less than £2000 for W-reg and newer, but not sure which is better/preferred. I have to take into account cheap insurance, cheap to run, most reliable, cheaper parts if it does goes wrong etc.

Comments

• Options
    Saxo and 106 are pretty much the same thing. Have a look on Autotrader for prices, and then using one of the models on there, check some insurance quotes on the Tesco website, or the AA website. That should give you an idea of how much you are looking at for insurance etc.
  • Options
    Punto's are notorious for having some electrical problems, like your brake light flashing when you put the indicator on.
  • Options
    None of the above?

Insurance is probably less on a 106 than a Saxo (other than that they're similar enough to be the same car). Avoid Fiats.
  • Options
    Uhm 106 and saxo are NOT like the same!

Get a 106 or a Punto!

Both have their pro's/cons.
  • Options

Get a 106 or a Punto!

Both have their pro's/cons.
    Name one pro for a Punto.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    None of the above?

Insurance is probably less on a 106 than a Saxo (other than that they're similar enough to be the same car). Avoid Fiats.

what would you reccommend then?
  • Options

So what are the differences?

Get a VW Polo. 1.9D is bulletproof, economical, and fairly gutsy for a small car. :)
  • Options
    Well this is WhatCar?'s opinion of the Saxo and the 106
    Peugeot106
    Citroen Saxo

They seem to be a bit more positive about the 106 but it's up to you, that's just one opinion.
  • Options
    So what are the differences?

Get a VW Polo. 1.9D is bulletproof, economical, and fairly gutsy for a small car. :)
    A 1.9? Cheap to insure... I don't think so somehow.

Personally, I'd go for the Punto.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Oh here we go... get a quote. A 1.9 normally-aspirated diesel makes the same power as a 1.3 or 1.4 petrol.

All cars are cheap to insure. When you're old, like me :).
  • Options
    what would you reccommend then?
    W reg Micras are reliable cars, cheap to repair and relatively high specced for their class. There's loads around to choose from and it should never let you down. I'm on my second Micra and would recommend them as fun to drive and easy to own.

If you want to spend less or go older, look at Polos and Clios, although bear in mind that both VW and Renault delaers tend to be a bit pricey on parts and repairs.

Others to look at are the Fiesta (loads to choose from but not so good for motorway driving due to lack of clutch rest) and Skoda Fabia (I've never driven one but they come with VW build quality if a slightly less fashionable marque).
  • Options
    A 1.9? Cheap to insure... I don't think so somehow.

Personally, I'd go for the Punto.

Ilora x

thats what i was thinking!!! plus, i'm moving out of birmingham to warwick so don't think i need a bullet proof car!!
  • Options
    don't mean this offensively, but if you really are a midget, go for the fiat. fiat punto is practically designed for small people. other than that, i'd reccomend the saxo as being the best outta the 3.
  • Options
    Please don't buy the Punto. They're not built to last.
  • Options
    Don't buy a Cinquecento either, you'll never be able to get rid of it again.
  • Options
    What's wrong with a Corsa? Some are in Group 1 for insurance I believe, and I imagine they'll have cheap parts.

A selection of Corsa's

FYI, that's not my postcode. :p - I just used the sample one provided. :razz:
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    don't mean this offensively, but if you really are a midget, go for the fiat. fiat punto is practically designed for small people. other than that, i'd reccomend the saxo as being the best outta the 3.
    Thanks! Yeah I am just over 5ft! I am learning in a corsa and do have trouble reaching the clutch even with seat right forward!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    They're not built to last.
    neither is the peugeot
  • Options
    Oh buggar. :p
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Please don't buy the Punto. They're not built to last.

I have to agree with him.

I have a Y reg Punto so only 5 years old, and it's always fucking up. I have serious electrical problems with it at the mo where not only do my lights flash up for no reason but my brake lights go on when i change gear :yeees:

Actually my car is a death trap :yes:
  • Options
    What year is W reg again?
  • Options
    What's wrong with a Corsa? Some are in Group 1 for insurance I believe, and I imagine they'll have cheap parts.

A selection of Corsa's

FYI, that's not my postcode. :p - I just used the sample one provided. :razz:

I was originally lookng for a corsa as I'm learning todrive in one and quite like it but looking on autotrader there aren't any within a 40 mile radius of where I live which are cheap enough without being older than I want
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    March 2000
  • Options
    Thanks! Yeah I am just over 5ft! I am learning in a corsa and do have trouble reaching the clutch even with seat right forward!
    I'm a short arse and the Corsa I was learning to drive in was fine. It was a new one, I don't know if the older ones are different. The only short arse problem I had with the Corsa was seeing out the back side window when attempting a left reverse.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
  • Options
    What about a Ford KA? Cute little car
  • Options
    i've driven a corsa... it is definitly a good car. won't argue with that.
    but at the end of the day, its all down to personal preference.
    just as a side line my favourite car atm is the VW golf GTi ... :heart:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    W reg Micras are reliable cars, cheap to repair and relatively high specced for their class. There's loads around to choose from and it should never let you down. I'm on my second Micra and would recommend them as fun to drive and easy to own.

If you want to spend less or go older, look at Polos and Clios, although bear in mind that both VW and Renault delaers tend to be a bit pricey on parts and repairs.

Others to look at are the Fiesta (loads to choose from but not so good for motorway driving due to lack of clutch rest) and Skoda Fabia (I've never driven one but they come with VW build quality if a slightly less fashionable marque).

I have looked at Micras but they are quite expensive (in my area for a reasonably new one anyway). Also looked at Polos and clios but again quite expensive compared to the saxo, 106 and punto.

Don't like the Skoda's but am looking at one or two fiestas
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    What about a Ford KA? Cute little car
    Don't like the KA at all - maybe I'm just fussy but I don't!! Thanks anyway!