Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Really local weather

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cooooo. Yorkshire is great, apart from the Wheel of DOOM.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Cattal :D

As for the weather, on Look North they always show little places, like if they have a funny link or are opposites or something.
  • Options
  • Options
    mytholmroyd

best name ever.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    mytholmroyd

best name ever.
    Mytholmroyd is a brilliant name. The number of people who just give up pronouncing it is hilarious.

Snaith :D
  • Options
    How do you pronounce 'Mytholmroyd'? I'd hazard a guess at 'mith ohm roid' but I'm probably wrong.
  • Options
    its a word only locals can say.

i thnk its like "miiiiiiiiiiiiith oooooooooooolm royyyyyyyyyyyyyd" or something
  • Options
  • Options
    I've always believed it to be "My them royd" or similar. Thats what I've always heard while there and what the railway people say.

Dent :D
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    As for the weather, on Look North they always show little places, like if they have a funny link or are opposites or something.

:yes:

they change them every day.

on humorous place names, i'm surprised kentish hasn't mentioned thong yet, being from those parts. we used to drive past it when my brother lived in kent and we visited. that and godmanchester. fun times.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    :yes:

they change them every day.

on humorous place names, i'm surprised kentish hasn't mentioned thong yet, being from those parts. we used to drive past it when my brother lived in kent and we visited. that and godmanchester. fun times.
    Badgers Mount is more my area.
  • Options
    Ooer. that sounds a bit dodgy :p
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    In the northeast, Senile Bob (my personal nickname for him) jumbles up the letters of some obscure places so the weathermap is full of anagrams! Whatever floats your boat, Bob. :yeees:
    I have a bit of fun trying to work those out.
  • Options
    Yeah, as others said it's meant to be a humourous link. 'Osbaldwick' and 'Acomb', y'see. Ho ho.

Didn't realise they still did it actually, I've not noticed it for yeeeears. That said, I really don't pay that much attention to the weather, which might explain it.
  • Options
    A humourous link? I'll have to pay more attention, I was busy being concerned that York had disappeard from the map.
  • Options
    i find its the same here in cardiff. sometimes cardiff and swansea, bristol etc are shown on the map, but other times they arent. then some weird ass welsh place names are shown instead. very odd.

my flatmate told me they pick places at random so everyone can get a chance to see what their particular area is like at some time or another.. or something like that. i dunno ;)