Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Friend with Money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am really silly; at first a new guy was working at my work and we became friends, and over time he was asking for money a little bit here and there; then it was going in to £70's at a time, i want to of said no but for some reason i coulnt. Now its a total of £690 and he is not answering his phone/text. my family said this would happen but i said it was ok and he only owed me £40.

I dont know what to do; ive got to owe my mum rent, plane flight and accomadaion and the money in the next 24 hours was going to go to driving lessons. I really need the money -

what can i do?

Comments

• Options
    why would you lend him that much money without seeing any return? seems a bit daft to me.
  • Options
    £690!!!!!! Jesus!! Why the hell?!
  • Options
    I know;

he gave me about £10 now and then but then he wanted £80 the next day, he said it was for his mum, rent etc, in the back of my mind i thought he was lying, but as i have not really got any friends i didnt want to lose him, and be being shy it was very hard to say no
  • Options
    Nothing really useful to add other than DO NOT BE SO TRUSTING!!!!!
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    That and that you need to kick his ass and drag him to the cash machine next time you see him (if you see him)
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    That and that you need to kick his ass and drag him to the cash machine next time you see him (if you see him)

... and that!!
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:

Yep, make sure you learn your lesson :p :yes:
  • Options
    I might have his adress; he gave it to me when we met so i dont think it was a lie; if so; and it was right, should i tell his mum and make sure she makes him pay as i know she is the boss over him.?
  • Options
    If you know where he/she lives, go round there and try and get it back.

One advice my parent taught me was only lend money if you can afford to lose it.

Good luck and hope you get the money back!
  • Options
    tiggerboo wrote:

One advice my parent taught me was only lend money if you can afford to lose it.

Good advice!
  • Options
    I might have his adress; he gave it to me when we met so i dont think it was a lie; if so; and it was right, should i tell his mum and make sure she makes him pay as i know she is the boss over him.?

Oh hell yeah, tell his mum AND go to his house - lie in wait outside his work/the pub/corner shop. Do anything it takes to get your cash back, it's not like we're talking about £20 here, and it sounds like he doesn't exactly intend to pay it all back in neat little installments.

You probably already feel shit enough, but seriously - that'll learn ya!
  • Options
    well unfortnatly it will have to be in 2 weeks time, before i go i will have to text and say u need to give me the money or ill have to get it my self etc.
  • Options
    Where the hell did you get the money from.

Tbh you seem a bit silly to me, sure give a few quid to your mates but continually giving money without getting it back is a bit stupid IMHO.
  • Options
    I know I know, im jsut silly.

Well he jsut phoned me up;

He said he was a Heroine addict and was going into rehap, all the £250 he makes a week goes into drugs, he is homeless and does not live with his mum.

But he said he will try and pay me back even if it was £20 at a time.

I do hope this is true

If anyone is willing to donate money to me at the mean time so i can get some euro's id be very happy and might be able to enjoy my holiday, PM.
  • Options
    So within half an hour of posting this thread he has contacted you after not responding for a while. :eek2:
  • Options
    indeed - just 2 texts and a phonecall voicemail. soon as i made the 2nd last post
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    So within half an hour of posting this thread he has contacted you after not responding for a while. :eek2:

Not only such a lovely coincidence but such a touching story too *tear*

Anybody smell poop? Maybe the toilet overflowed in the bathroom...
  • Options
    If anyone is willing to donate money to me at the mean time so i can get some euro's id be very happy and might be able to enjoy my holiday, PM.

I would because I'm too trusting too. But... I'm actually skint at the mo :(. Sucks though mate, hope you find some way of pulling through! Citizens advice bureau? If he's holding down a job it may be worth going through a small claims court or something... I dont know what to suggest.
  • Options
    hmmmm you tell us a long and mornfull story about why not to trust people with money / belongings that you barely know....

and then you ask for money!
  • Options
    This isnt a joke, ive lost £690, ive got £1.54 to my name and im going on holiday in 1day 21hrs 52mins 33secs and i need to pay for my flight, rent and meals etc. I dont get paid till June 2nd and thats only £200 and thats dont come no way where what is going out.
  • Options
    If you have no money for your holiday, why would you possibly still go.
  • Options
    Your going on vacation and you havn't even paid for your flight or accomidations yet? When did you decide to go on this trip, 17 minutes ago?
  • Options
    If i only i had £690 to spare when i was 17 :rolleyes:

Sounds a bit suss to me. No one is that stupid surely. Actually he must be if he thinks people are gonna donate to his holiday fund.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This isnt a joke, ive lost £690, ive got £1.54 to my name and im going on holiday in 1day 21hrs 52mins 33secs and i need to pay for my flight, rent and meals etc. I dont get paid till June 2nd and thats only £200 and thats dont come no way where what is going out.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, I can't tell if you're serious but please don't ask people for money on the boards. In the short term is there any way you could get an overdraft? In the long term you may want to visit your local CAB to see if they have any advice about getting your money back through the small claims court.
  • Options

Hmm... a holiday where you don't have to pay your bill until the day you leave?

Good gracious, why am I dumb enough to pay for my July holiday in April?? And my visit to my family will come out the account straight away, forget the luxury of a deposit and a few weeks saving!

If the story is true (which I'm doubting) you aren't going on holiday matey. Not until you get the money back anyway.

If it isn't, then stop wasiting peoples sympathy. People on here were actualy willing to give you advice on how to get your 'money' back.

And I agree with the poster who mentioned that your a 17 year old with that much money to lend. Very Suspicious I must agree...
  • Options
    no, my grandad has paid for it at the moment, the deal was for him to pay the accomadation and meals and i pay the money for the flight, now ill have to give it to him on pay-day.

The diffrence between my friend and i with money, he wants if for drugs and get him killed, i need it so my family dont think i gave someone 4 months wages and so i can at least look like i still have it untill i get it back
  • Options
    ffs i thought these boards wer ment to help; ive just lost £700, i was saving for driving lessons/holiday and now i have to start from £0. I know it was stupid of me to lend it to him but i didnt know what to do. I feel like shit and wont be able to buy anything for months.
  • Options
    ffs i thought these boards wer ment to help; ive just lost £700, i was saving for driving lessons/holiday and now i have to start from £0. I know it was stupid of me to lend it to him but i didnt know what to do. I feel like shit and wont be able to buy anything for months.

People did try helping, but what are you expecting? None of us have £690 to give to you, and tbh, we'd be as daft as you if we did.

You aren't the only person struggling to save for things, just remember that as well.

You just need to learn your lesson and try and get the money back ASAP. There's nothing else we personally can say or do.
  • Options

Well lesson learnt then.

These boards are to help people. We can give you advice on your situation but sadly our help doesn't go as far as dishing out money. If it did i'd be on every day begging.
  • Options
    yeh, here to get advice not a free lunch.