Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

He Says You Say

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
TheSite.org is helping to endorse a sexual health campaign produced by Durex, which is all about providing women with the words they need to tell their partners to wear a condom – something we think’s really important.

The campaign follows research Durex carried out amongst healthcare professionals which identified 16-24 year old heterosexual women as a key target in need of encouragement and empowerment to insist that their partners use protection during sex.

So expect to see the campaign (and TheSite.org’s logo) promoted in your favourite magazines, in New Look changing rooms, and in STI clinics across the summer.

If you have experiences related to this issue, why not tell us how you dealt with them here, or let us know what you think of the campaign.

Also, don’t forget to head over to www.hesaysyousay.co.uk to take a look, add your He Says You Say messages and enter a competition to win a club 18-30 holiday.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find it a bit odd that it's only geared towards women. Don't Durex think that men can be pressured into unprotected sex too? Even the men's section assumes it's the guy who'll be pushing for no condoms....
  • Options
    I'm with the above poster. With more young women on the pill, men sometimes feel that they are not expected to use a condom and don't know how to get across that they want to.
  • Options
    It's stuff like this that I feel almost exacerbates the problem of women's 'oppression'. Girls see campaigns like this and feel that they should behave in accordance with the underlying message: that women have a tough time. Campaigns should present the issue of safe sex as being something that both parties are responsible for, rather than something that men won't want and women will therefore have to fight for.
  • Options
    Looks quite good
  • Options
    You campaign makes baby Jesus cry. :p
  • Options
    I don't doubt that some men are sometimes pressurised in terms of contraception too; but I don't that detracts from the reality that a lot of girls (especially when young, and/or just becoming sexually active) feel a lot of pressure from both their sexual partner and their peers to have sex any which-way the "man" feels like it - which often involves contraception-free sex because "it feels better" or "I'm allergic to condoms" etc.

I've encountered a few such cretins and when I was younger and less experienced I was definitely taken in by blatant untruths, and maybe even had something of the mentality that I was lucky to be "getting it" from some spotty, self-proclaimed studmuffin. I'm aware of a lot of young girls (mainly younger sisters of friends) who think they have to do any and everything to impress/please a little turd, and it's close to impossible talking any sense into them. I can't say I've ever known a bloke who has been pressurised into not wearing a condom, even if the female in question is on the pill - surely they're worried about more than simply the possibility of getting her in the family way (?). All that said (rambled) I think any campaign focusing on empowering young women to take control of their sex life can only be a really great thing - of course, there needs to be education and support for young men, too, as the two things go hand in hand.

It's not a problem for me now, anyway, as I'm pretty militant about protected sex [especially if it's a new relationship, or not a relationship at all] and if that's the way I want to play then that's the way it's going to be. It draws the odd "whattabitch" comment, but I don't even hear that shit anymore ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I think any campaign focusing on empowering young women to take control of their sex life can only be a really great thing - of course, there needs to be education and support for young men, too, as the two things go hand in hand.

I absolutely agree. I just think that demonising men as being the only ones to be irresponsible about protection is the wrong way to educate young girls about how to deal with sex. Young people a lot of the time behave how they think they're expected to - same with crime, they'll think 'well if that's what they expect me to do, I'll do it'. All I'm saying is that boys and girls should be targeted equally in campaigns like this. It shouldn't be about female empowerment, it should be about equal, mutual responsibility and respect.
  • Options
    It shouldn't be about female empowerment, it should be about equal, mutual responsibility and respect.

Oh definitely.

But I do think there's merit in a campaign specifically directed at young females... I'm not entirely sure why but I do think it's more likely to hit its target if directed exclusively at women. Though I could be wrong. Either way, as long as the education and issues relating to men are also given attention then it's all positive :)
  • Options
    Another thing.

The line 'I'm allergic to them' is coming up more and more, yet it is still very difficult to get your hands on non latex condoms. The main ones are Durex Avanti. So thats fine, you just get those ones.

Major catch.

I have never seen anywhere that will give you these for free, and when you buy them they are more expensive than the standard ones and you get fewer in the box.
  • Options
    will family planning not? or brook?
  • Options
    Well I've never lived anywhere near a Brook, and our family planning don't, wait for this, their budget won't cover them. :banghead:
  • Options
    This content requires the Flash Player 8
    Ah well, I guess I'm not the target audience anyway
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    all about providing women with the words they need to tell their partners to wear a condom
    put. condom. on.
    ~ was that really too hard?!
  • Options
    just like you wouldnt touch a bleeding gash on a road accident victim, without a pair of latex gloves

nor would or should you stick your manhood in a ladies gash (with the potential of being on as well) without putting some latex on

or you really could end up with an accident on your hands :yes:
  • Options
    I would. And my job includes a lot of first aid.

Oh yeah, my employer buys the right sort of gloves.

The ones that aren't causing allergies.
  • Options
    I would. And my job includes a lot of first aid.

Oh yeah, my employer buys the right sort of gloves.

The ones that aren't causing allergies.

i wouldnt touch a gaping open wound pissing with blood if my life depended on it
  • Options
    I have no problem telling a bloke to use a condom :confused:

Of course i never have. But thats my problem!
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i wouldnt touch a gaping open wound pissing with blood if my life depended on it

Ever or without gloves?

I would really hope that if you found a seriously injured person then you would do your best to help, but maybe thats just my outlook on life.
  • Options
    i would help, even if i had to use clingfilm to do it id help

but with a wound that serious, id never touch it open, more for their sake than mine, fat lot of use me trying to save their life if i cause them to have an infection which takes their life over a longer and more painful time frame
  • Options
    Fair point. But your original post reads like you wouldn't help full stop. In the case of a heavily bleeding would the chances of them catching anything of you is very unlikely.

All the blood is leaving the body, not carrying anything back into it, and unless you have an open wound nothing's going to get out of you.

Not that I advocate first aid without protection, but a little though can make a massive difference in an emergency.
  • Options
    thing is, washing hands after seeing every patient in a hospital wastes thousands of hours over the course of many hospitals and doctors, but it also helps stop the spread of MRSA
  • Options
    Gloves and handwashing in hosptials are a no brainer, both are essential. to be honest things like doctors coats and pens need looking at more closely on the spread of germs round hospitals.

My post was more in reference to emergencies rather than the standard working day.
  • Options
    I just tell a guy that he isn't getting any without a condom. Nothing to it.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    So expect to see the campaign (and TheSite.org’s logo) promoted in your favourite magazines, in New Look changing rooms, and in STI clinics across the summer.
    :yes: I saw it in this week's Heat magazine and I was like "ooooooo, the site" :hyper: :p

ETA: The advert is even in New look changing cubicles! :lol:

The Site.org logo is everywhere!!!
  • Options
    I had a look at that website.

All the responses seem rather confrontational about the condom issue. Not sure how accurate this is as a reflection of reality... certainly was never like that for me.

Maybe the campaign is just aimed at girls who are sleeping with morons. :chin:
  • Options
    I like the fact that they're offering a Club 18-30 holiday on that site.

Like they're always full of people practising safe sex aint they!
  • Options
    It's the woman who is more likely to get an STI, and it's the woman who will get pregnant. I think the responsibility understandably falls more on the woman to ensure that she protects herself, and I think this is a very good way of doing it.

Some men, I'm sure, are pressurised into not wearing a condom, but I seriously doubt the number is too high. Of course they shouldn't be ignored, but why on earth does that denigrate this campaign?

It is mostly men who come up with cock-and-bull reasons as to why they can't/won't wear condoms- I really don't believe allergies are going up, but its a damn good excuse. It is mostly men who play the "if you loved me" card to get what they want. It is mostly a problem for women against men.

I really don't get this attitude that if you do a campaign targeted at empowering women then its somehow "anti men", and that men's issues are denigrated. It's the same refrain when rape or domestic violence comes up in discussion- "someone think of the men!" It's "feminist" to concentrate on the biggest group of victims, after all.
  • Options
    I understand the perception about it being anti-men, but I think actually it's trying to do the opposite. By getting the word 'out there' about condoms and safer sex, men will hear about it too and be forced to consider if it applies to them. The marketing needs to be targetted to a certain demographic to decide which publications etc to advertise in, but ultimately, blokes will hear about it too (this thread a case in point) and hopefully discuss the issues. Those who don't act in this way don't really need to be concerned by it, but those who do might be forced to rethink their actions.

Still interested to hear the excuses blokes have come up with/your responses to them...
  • Options
    To be honest i've never come across any bloke not willing to use them.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    To be honest i've never come across any bloke not willing to use them.

You're lucky, cos I have, and they come up with all sorts of reasons why they don't need to wear them.

Saw an ad in More magazine today.