Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Heating meat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out here.

Me and my boyfriend are agruing about meat.

I SAY- You should heat meat THOUGHLY, especially pork, chicken, any poultry. Heat it through so that its PIPING HOT. Even if its already been cooked previously at another point.

My boyfriend says its okay to heat it up to being just warm instead of making it piping hot because its already been cooked previously.

I've even asked my mum about this (cause she used to be a chef) and she agrees with me. She says meat like beef isn't as bad but when it comes to chicken/pork- it can be deadly.

What do you guys think it correct?

Comments

• Options
    I agree with the piping hot. Always.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yes, hot. To kill the germs if nothing else.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I agree with the others. However, I always make sure *any* reheated food is piping hot. Rice is a bad one for this.
  • Options
    I like raw food, so like mine not to heat up depending on what it is, but for germs and stuff it is better well cooked tho... I choose taste...
  • Options
    i'm probably not the best person to advise on this...
    but heat it through thourghly. heat till its juices run clear is another well know thing on how to cook meat.
  • Options
    I think it depends.

Things like Frankfurters and other meat that you buy ready cooked you can partially heat, get piping hot or eat cold however you fancy.

With food you've cooked and cooled yourself then its probably safest to get it piping hot all the way through.
  • Options
    Cold is one thing, but when its [artially reheated all the germs come out again.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Most red meat can be eaten pretty rare. Poultry and pork need to be cooked thoroughly.
    If you cook any meat properly and then let it go cold it's fine to eat, but if you reheat any meat you should reheat it until it's piping. Bacteria thrive if you just warm thing up again.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Thanks all!! :)

Well, I've shown him all the replies and now hes saying that its okay to just partically warm up things like pies/pasties/sausage rolls etc- that have already been cooked in a shop.

But isn't it the same thing? Meat is meat no matter how you look at it. And can cause illness if not heated up until piping hot, a pie or not.
  • Options
    Tis the same indeed.
  • Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Get him to read skives post

Yep, I did- but he said hes talking about food thats already been cooked in a shop, (i.e- pie, sausage roll) Not cooked by himself.

But I say, SO WHAT? If you cook it yourself, or a shop cooks it. What difference would that make.

I find it difficult to believe that there are some people who think only 'warming meat up' is okay. Madness :shocking:
  • Options
    Naomi_UK wrote:
    Thanks all!! :)

Well, I've shown him all the replies and now hes saying that its okay to just partically warm up things like pies/pasties/sausage rolls etc- that have already been cooked in a shop.

But isn't it the same thing? Meat is meat no matter how you look at it. And can cause illness if not heated up until piping hot, a pie or not.
    its the same with all food, meat or no meat.

eat it cold, fine. heat it up then heat thoroughly.

rice is the biggest cause of death due to food poisoning in the world and it contains no meat (states the obvious lol).
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    rice is the biggest cause of death due to food poisoning in the world and it contains no meat (states the obvious lol).

It's def one of the biggest causes of food poisoning but it's not commonly fatal. It'll give you the shits.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    as has been said, Pork and chicken/poultry needs to be heated thoroughly and only reheated once.
    red meat isnt as risky. Safest if cooked through, but not as likely to give you food poisoning as white meats. If reheated you are supposed to cook through, but its up to the individual if they want to take risks. its not against the law to eat uncooked meat even if it does make you ill.
  • Options
    melanie wrote:

Says who? And even if that is the case, isnt that just a little unrepresentative given its a staple food for billions?

Meat, if its already been cooked then heat it up, but you dont have to heat the crap out of it. People are too fussy.
  • Options
    Wonder if he'll believe it now ?
  • Options
    Clearly he's a slight retard, piping hot, every time.
  • Options
    I used to think chicken was a dangerous one, and you should be really careful with cooking and reheating it, but then I saw some microbiologist guy the other week on TV, and according to him, the big risk from chicken is when it's raw or undercooked. He said that providing it had been properly cooked through the first time, it became a much lower risk food.
  • Options
    You should get it piping hot everytime.

You should never bite your nails.

You should scrub your hands after going to the toilet.

You should never pick at lesions on your skin.

You should never eat or drink anything that you don't know where its come from.

You should scrub your hands and under your nails everytime you touch an animal.

You should keep all food under fly nets.

You shouldn't heat sugary foods in the microwave.

You shouldn't use clingfilm on oily foods.

We all do, we all live, well most of the time anyway. Why not let him do what he wants to, you do what you want to, and if he's cooking for you then insist on your standards. Put it this way, until you start rejecting every bit of food you get anywhere that isn't icy cold or piping hot its not going to be perfect.
  • Options
    You should get it piping hot everytime.

You should never bite your nails.

You should scrub your hands after going to the toilet.

You should never pick at lesions on your skin.

You should never eat or drink anything that you don't know where its come from.

You should scrub your hands and under your nails everytime you touch an animal.

You should keep all food under fly nets.

You shouldn't heat sugary foods in the microwave.

You shouldn't use clingfilm on oily foods.

It would be easier to rap yourself in clingfilm than follow that, people are far too fussy, you need to get some germs in you.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It would be easier to rap yourself in clingfilm than follow that, people are far too fussy, you need to get some germs in you.

germs help your body immune system if i recall well...
  • Options
    germs help your body immune system if i recall well...

Exactly, if you bleach your house too much then as soon as you step out the door you'll catch every bug and germ going. This is especially true with kids.

Now, I'm not saying dont worry at all about eat rotten meat, but being really anal about it isnt good for your health.

I'd rather have a decent immune system and the occasional shits (which incidentally I've never had) than arse about worrying whether or not its totally completely pipping hot.
  • Options
    That was the point I was trying to make. :yippe:
  • Options
    I always re-heat my food so it's warm but not to hot to eat or anything, and i've been doing that for years and years and i've never had food poising or been sick from re-heated meals or anything. I always re heat rice, mmm indian left overs for breakfast :thumb:
  • Options
    People bang on about the dnagers of reheating rice all the time - yet I've never ever had food poisoning. I've had the shits from too much Vindaloo but that's as far as it goes.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i never really reheat anything just because im stupidly paranoid about getting food poisoning.
  • Options
    I didn't even know you weren't supposed to reheat rice.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I didn't even know you weren't supposed to reheat rice.

You *can* reheat rice, but you need to make sure it's reheated properly. Since the only time I'd be likely to reheat rice would be by stir-frying it, then, let's face it, it's going to be pretty damn hot.

If I were reheating something in the microwave, then I'd blast it until it was excruciatingly hot. No point dicking about really. If it's being reheated then taste probably isn't the primary concern anyway.
  • Options
    Red meat is alright as long as you cook the outside egde to 60C, as that's where the bugs are. Rare steak is fine to eat. Mince needs to be cooked throughly simply because its nearly all outside edge, because its in thin bits.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    I always re-heat my food so it's warm but not to hot to eat or anything, and i've been doing that for years and years and i've never had food poising or been sick from re-heated meals or anything. I always re heat rice, mmm indian left overs for breakfast :thumb:

Ditto. I've always heard about the supposed dangers of reheating rice but never known anyone who has fallen ill with even the slightest tummy bug as a result.

If I make a big batch of rice I usually just reheat it by straining it with boiling water though, so maybe that's a bit safer than zapping it... though I've done that too. I save myself worry about heating meat since I don't eat it, so that's moot.

I do believe I have a kick-arse immune system though, anyway. :yippe: