Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reaction to finding out about a criminal record

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you were starting to go out with someone and they had a criminal record would you expect them to tell you from early on. Would it turn you off them completely or would you give it a chance? Would you react differently if they only told you after a longer time together?

Comments

• Options
    shane999 wrote:
    If you were starting to go out with someone and they had a criminal record would you expect them to tell you from early on. Would it turn you off them completely or would you give it a chance? Would you react differently if they only told you after a longer time together?
    you need to be talking to the person concerned.
    a criminal record isn't that uncommon you know.
    what crimes?
  • Options
    I wouldnt exactly expect it to come up on the first date...

It depends on what it was as well, if it was something petty, I wouldnt really care, if it was something major then I would have a bit more to think about...

Care to be a bit more specific?
  • Options
    Assault and criminal damage.

It hasn't come up on a first date but can't decide if I should be upfront from the start or risk her finding out later from someone else.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:
    Assault and criminal damage.

It hasn't come up on a first date but can't decide if I should be upfront from the start or risk her finding out later from someone else.
    casual conversation should explain it ...pressuming assualting people and breaking things isn't a habit.
  • Options
    Ok, coming from a blokes point of view I would be completely put off by a girl who had been done for assault and criminal damage...

but thats side tracking...

To be honest mate its a tough one to call, it depends on the girl, it depends on how long you have been seeing each other etc etc...

You want to let her get to know you first, other wise she will judge you for it without knowing the real you... but at the same time you dont want to get too far into the relationship, tell her and then both end up really hurt!

If its still very new between you 2 then I would wait a bit... its not as if your telling her a lie, unless she specifically asked you!
  • Options
    casual conversation should explain it ...pressuming assualting people and breaking things isn't a habit.

Stop posting a split second before me!! :p
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Stop posting a split second before me!! :p
    annoying innit!
  • Options
    shane ...does seeing you reading this thread in who's online for the last ten minutes but not replying by any chance mean ...you do often go into a rage?
  • Options
    My step-sister's boyfriend has a criminal record for armed robbery and drugs related stuff. He told her he had a record but not what for. My nosey step-mother didn't know anything about his record but did "google" search on his name and an article from a local paper came up about his convictions. Not the greatest way to learn about it...
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Ok, coming from a blokes point of view I would be completely put off by a girl who had been done for assault and criminal damage...

but thats side tracking...

To be honest mate its a tough one to call, it depends on the girl, it depends on how long you have been seeing each other etc etc...

You want to let her get to know you first, other wise she will judge you for it without knowing the real you... but at the same time you dont want to get too far into the relationship, tell her and then both end up really hurt!

If its still very new between you 2 then I would wait a bit... its not as if your telling her a lie, unless she specifically asked you!

It is early days but I don’t want to blow this. I’m inclined to say nothing but am worried that she could find out any way. I split up after 2 years with my last girlfriend over this. In fairness she did stand by me but we ended it when, well when I had to go away, so to speak. I know she is likely to react bad to this and think I would have a better chance with her if she didn’t find out until we had got to know each other better.
  • Options
    shane ...does seeing you reading this thread in who's online for the last ten minutes but not replying by any chance mean ...you do often go into a rage?

No - just means I was having a smoke.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:
    No - just means I was having a smoke.
    only asking mate.
    sorry i can;t realy be of much help ...my criminality was always so out in the open the women would always already know.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    My step-sister's boyfriend has a criminal record for armed robbery and drugs related stuff. He told her he had a record but not what for. My nosey step-mother didn't know anything about his record but did "google" search on his name and an article from a local paper came up about his convictions. Not the greatest way to learn about it...

lol, thats like only one step from murder/terrorist.

Shane, I'd say tell her upfront, might save heartache later on. But I'm not totally sure about it one way or the other.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:

Yeah obviously things aren't as bad as that but I'm afraid of her finding out some way like that. Google is aterrible thing!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to tell it straight in the next week or so. It's just too difficult to keep up the pretence of having been in Australia for the past while and I am bound to slip up at some stage. At least this way I can do it my way, put the best spin on things and not have to worry about being found out later on. Might be making a big mistake but who knows.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:

It depends what the record was for.

My ex told me he was due in court on quite a serious charge. He told me this after about a week or so of being together. It did freak me out and put me off a bit but once he's explained it, it obviously didn't bother me that much as I stayed with him for a few years.

If someone hid it from me I would be more suspicious and feel they were dishonest but it depends on a lot of things. If they just had a few minor things from when they were a teenager I probably wouldn't care.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    It depends what the record was for.

My ex told me he was due in court on quite a serious charge. He told me this after about a week or so of being together. It did freak me out and put me off a bit but once he's explained it, it obviously didn't bother me that much as I stayed with him for a few years.

If someone hid it from me I would be more suspicious and feel they were dishonest but it depends on a lot of things. If they just had a few minor things from when they were a teenager I probably wouldn't care.

Yeah it's about 3 weeks for us now and just feel I should set the record straight. It's a part of my life I would like to keep separate but it doesn't really work like that.
  • Options
    I think some things you just need to be honest about even if its hard to bring it into conversation. There were a few dodgy things about my past that I thought my bf should know before getting too serious, and vice versa. Honesty is usually valued more than dishonesty, and if she doesnt like you because of something like that, then its still good that she knew, because she could make that decision. Its better than her liking you but you not being who she thinks you are.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to tell it straight in the next week or so. It's just too difficult to keep up the pretence of having been in Australia for the past while and I am bound to slip up at some stage. At least this way I can do it my way, put the best spin on things and not have to worry about being found out later on. Might be making a big mistake but who knows.

So you told her you were in Australia while doing time? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick!?
    If thats the case then you could be screwed! She wont be happy that you lied to her within the first 3 weeks of you getting together...
    You might have been better off coming clean in the first place.

Either way, its got to be done... best of luck to you mate!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    So you told her you were in Australia while doing time? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick!?
    If thats the case then you could be screwed! She wont be happy that you lied to her within the first 3 weeks of you getting together...
    You might have been better off coming clean in the first place.

Either way, its got to be done... best of luck to you mate!

No you're right. It just seemed easier to say that I had been in Australia instead of saying I had been in prison - not something that you want to admit to to somebody new. Would be a bit of a conversation stopper. Once you say it once, the lie becomes easier but I know I can't get away with it much longer.

I got out in March and want to put things behind me - but it's hard getting a job after coming out and I have to carry with me the baggage of having been in prison. I got a 10 month sentence but with 6 months suspended for the next 5 years so I keep on trying to tell myself I'm lucky being out instead of still being locked up.

No matter what they say about prison being too soft - which it isn't - it really does affect things in your life.
  • Options
    Sounds like you've got no real option then, other than to 'fess up and hope for the best. It's nigh-on impossible to predict what reaction she'll have but even if she takes it well it's still going to come as a shock. I'd say explain yourself, disclose as many of the details as you're willing to (or as she wants to know!) and then give her a wee bit of space to gather her thoughts etc.

As someone said upthread, we all have things in our pasts that we regret and/or would rather not go back and relive - but honesty is not just the best policy, I think it's the only policy in this situation... and sooner rather than later, I'd reckon. She's pretty much guaranteed to be pissed off about being lied to, but if she can accept that you've done time then maybe she'll also be able to understand why you hid the truth in the first instance - it's very understandable, at least in my opinion. Anyway, good luck with it mate :thumb:
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:
    No you're right. It just seemed easier to say that I had been in Australia instead of saying I had been in prison - not something that you want to admit to to somebody new. Would be a bit of a conversation stopper.

Yeah I can completely understand that and why you did it.

As Briggi said, you just have to tell the truth now and hope for the best!

Not really much else I can say apart from I hope it goes well! :thumb:
  • Options
    I wouldnt expect it to come up the first time i met someone, not something you go bragging about really & it would depend on what it was.
  • Options
    *TiNK* wrote:
    I wouldnt expect it to come up the first time i met someone, not something you go bragging about really & it would depend on what it was.

This is what I think as well. However, I wouldn't want someone to hide something like a criminal record either.
  • Options
    Wouldn't make a difference to me really, unless it was something serious like burglary or mugging or having hairy armpits.

I don't do thorough criminal record and credit checks to be honest, and it wouldn't really bother me if she never mentioned it till it cropped up.
  • Options
    To be honest, if things were the other way around and if someone told me something similar about them i don't think I would have been too impressed.

I never thought I would end up in prison. I did fine at school, went to college, had a decent job and all that and before all this probaly thought that prisoners got what they deserved and were best avoided but obviously my attitude has changed.

But I'm 25 now, more mature and have 'done my time' as the cliche goes so I am hoping she will see beyond my past mistakes.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    having hairy armpits.

:lol:
    To be honest, if things were the other way around and if someone told me something similar about them i don't think I would have been too impressed.

Same here and I think most people would agree as well.
  • Options
    Unless they stabbed, skinned, decapitated, and dismembered their previous lovers body over a hectic game of monopoly I don't think it would matter to me.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    Unless they stabbed, skinned, decapitated, and dismembered their previous lovers body over a hectic game of monopoly I don't think it would matter to me.

Exactly.

A lot of people end up with a criminal record for something stupid they did when they were young. Something like criminal damage, minor violent crimes or minor theft wouldn't bother me.

I've got a record and it's never bothered the girls I've been with.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    A lot of people end up with a criminal record for something stupid they did when they were young. Something like criminal damage, minor violent crimes or minor theft wouldn't bother me.

My boyfriend had quite a few convictions, mainly buglery, ciminal damage, minor public disorder and drink-driving. I found out about the driving related ones quite early on and the other ones about 4 months ago. Was a bit shocking at the time but I'm fine with it now and have got used to it.
    If you realy like her be honest, she should be able to accept it.