Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I think I havea drink problem :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Well the first step is admitting it, second is getting help. Go see your gp, i don't totally believe you don't care.
  • Options
    if you didnt care. you wouldn't tell us. I agree with tweety, well done for admitting it, now go see your gp, they will help you sort it out.
  • Options
    better than your gp would be to find your local AA (alcoholics anon.) group and attend one of their meetings. something like that, as odd as it sounds, will give you more support than anything the nhs can, though you have to REALLY want to stop, and you must be willing to help yourself.
  • Options
    Are you drinking every day? If you're only doing it at the weekend then I don't think you have a problem. Many people need a drink when they're out to have fun, doesn't mean they have an addiction to alcohol.
  • Options
    You don't need to drink every day to have a drink problem. Binge drinking is just as hazardous.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Binge drinking is just as hazardous.

Just as hazardous as what? Physical or psychological addiction? It's not, trust me.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Are you drinking every day? If you're only doing it at the weekend then I don't think you have a problem. Many people need a drink when they're out to have fun, doesn't mean they have an addiction to alcohol.

i agree... clubbing etc sober is much less fun.. solution = get wasted :)

I wouldn't call that an addiction at all.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Just as hazardous as what? Physical or psychological addiction? It's not, trust me.
    Both types of addiction. If every time you go out you need to get plastered to enjoy yourself, that is a form of psychological addiction. And you can easily drink your entire week's advised alcohol intake in one night so if you get hammered all weekend you are putting your health at risk. I can't see how that is controversial.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Both types of addiction. If every time you go out you need to get plastered to enjoy yourself, that is a form of psychological addiction. And you can easily drink your entire week's advised alcohol intake in one night so if you get hammered all weekend you are putting your health at risk. I can't see how that is controversial.

Most people do that though. A real problem would be staying in every night drinking by yourself and then getting hammered at the weekend.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

It isn;t a form of addiction (for most anyway).

It's like having a choice between doing something thats fun and something thats a lot more fun. So you could either play football or cricket... you choose football (better game :p), it doesn't mean you're addicted it just means you wanta have a better time. You could easily choose the other option... but why would you?
  • Options
    Of course. But don't kid yourself that just drinking on the weekend is OK no matter how much your take.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    It isn;t a form of addiction (for most anyway).

It's like having a choice between doing something thats fun and something thats a lot more fun. So you could either play football or cricket... you choose football (better game :p), it doesn't mean you're addicted it just means you wanta have a better time. You could easily choose the other option... but why would you?
    Poor analogy. And this thread was started by a guy who thinks he is drinking too much. I think we can take that as read.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Of course. But don't kid yourself that just drinking on the weekend is OK no matter how much your take.

Never said it was.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Never said it was.
    If you're only doing it at the weekend then I don't think you have a problem
    I assumed that's what you meant.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I assumed that's what you meant.

A real drink problem is what I meant. There's a big difference between the binge drinker at the weekend and the alcoholic.
  • Options
    For the original poster, TheSite has some articles on drinking that might help:

Dangerous Drinking
    Overcoming a Drink Problem
    Binge Drinking

Turlough, Muse and Kentish - help first, then argue :yes:
  • Options
    Turlough, Muse and Kentish - help first, then argue :yes:
    :no: Unacceptable.
  • Options
    :rolleyes:
    I was acceptable, you were just unhelpful.
  • Options
    :chin:
  • Options
    What? Don't rub your chin at me!
  • Options
    Don't roll your eyes at me then.

To be fair, the OP has been told enough times to see his GP, and turlough and I were simply deciding what constitutes a problem drinker.
  • Options
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    kentish ...you mentioned somewhere back ...people drink more than the recommended ...
    don't tell me you read the guidlines on the bottle and then count> :lol:
  • Options
    What constitutes a problem drinker is when it gets in the way of their life, nothing to do with binge drinking
    if the binge drinking is causing the drinker or ANYONE else to be effected in a problematic way then it's a problem.
  • Options
    Its all in the way its done, and when it causes problems something needs to be done, although people always blame addiciton i blame being dependant
    i don't blame either of them.
    it the term 'problem drinker' ...is to have any meaning whatsoever ...then it can be defined very simply ...does this person have or create problems ...when they drink alcohol?
    if the answer is yes ...even for one time only ...then that one time you were a problem drinker.
    most youngsters are in my experience ...i was myself looking back.
    between the ages of around 17 and 25 ...i probably had three seperate bouts of it ...seemed like fun at the time.
  • Options
    , there is so many ways that alcohol have affected lives that i think to blame one is wrong
    whith alcohol why blame only one when you can pick from so many?
    problems that is.
  • Options
    As for the first poster - either your GP or your local drug and alcohol centre are the people to talk to about it. Abusive relationships with alcohol be they full blown addiction or not are hard to break without help.

As for the difference between binge drinkers and daily users, yes the daily user over time will develop a chemical addiction to the drug, but that doesnt mean that binge drinking isnt harmful. It can have hugely damaging effects on your health and relationships.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Everwonderwhy, you and some of the other posters on this thread seem to be assuming that just because loads of people are drinking in ways that are detramental and dangerous to their health, its ok. Its really not, it may appear more acceptable because it is becoming 'normalised', but that doean't mean it isn't harmful.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Everwonderwhy, you and some of the other posters on this thread seem to be assuming that just because loads of people are drinking in ways that are detramental and dangerous to their health, its ok. Its really not, it may appear more acceptable because it is becoming 'normalised', but that doean't mean it isn't harmful.

Erm could you please point out where anyone said it was ok? What was debated was if binge drinking was a serious drinking problem or not. No one said it was fine and dandy.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Sorry, I didn't make that clear. No one was saying it was ok, there were people that were saying that binge drinking isn't a serious problem. That isn't true though.

And before someone says that compared to someone who drinks every day, it isn't a serious problem, it is just as serious and harmful, it just manifests itself in different ways. It is still alcohol abuse, whether you are dependent or addicted.