Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Working at McDonalds, underage.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No thanks, I'm not engaging in a political debate with someone who hasn't been through puberty yet. If you fancy starting a thread about it in P&D however, I'm sure the guys who hang out there will be only too happy to rip you to shreds :)

That may be interesting!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I mostly disagree, but he does have a point in this: People who can't speak the language well enough shouldn't work in position where they're required to interact with customers.
  • Options
    Oh really? I know of plenty of young, white British people who apply for jobs at fast food places and are perfectly willing to take the jobs.

If you weren't racist, then the colour wouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    Ever heard of the word "asylum"?

I admit it, I can't prove whether or not asylum claims are true or not, but in most cases people can't prove they are or have been in danger and generally can't prove citizenship in the country they claim to be from.

If they can prove it, them I have no problem with asylum seekers.
  • Options
    I mostly disagree, but he does have a point in this: People who can't speak the language well enough shouldn't work in position where they're required to interact with customers.

I agree slightly with that, but how are they ever gonna learn the language if they don't interact with people that speak it?
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    That may be interesting!

I'd pay to see that :p
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I agree slightly with that, but how are they ever gonna learn the language if they don't interact with people that speak it?
    Good point... but on the other hand aren't you annoyed when you try to explain something to the person who's supposed to serve you (I don't necessarily mean in a restaurant) and they don't understand what you're saying?
  • Options
    Most other countries have immigration policies that say you can't enter the country under a work visa unless you are qualified to take a job that another citizen of that country isn't qualified to do, or not available to do. 2 countries that come to mind are the US and Canada.

What is so wrong about those policies and if so, are they apprently, ignorent? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    just because he's 15 doesn't mean his opinions are invalid. When he's 18 his immigration policy views may not have changed... so enough of the patronising ;p Hate when ppl do that... he could be the most well informed person on the subject in the country for all we know, no matter what his age is.
  • Options
    That's great, but why are you making an issue of ethnicity?
  • Options
    Good point... but on the other hand aren't you annoyed when you try to explain something to the person who's supposed to serve you (I don't necessarily mean in a restaurant) and they don't understand what you're saying?

Yes. Today i asked for a carrier bag in the petrol station and it took two attempts and me pointing at it for the bloke to understand.

However hopefully he'll know for next time what a bag is :p
  • Options
    Do they have some kind of mark on them or something? To make them appear illegal?

A mask, stripey jumper and a bag with 'swag' written on it.

I've seen someone like that in McDonalds before :chin:

rn_hamburglar_r.jpg
  • Options
    That's great, but why are you making an issue of ethnicity?

I have no problem with any one of a different race, I am far from racist. I would act exactly the same if loads of unskilled white Americans were coming of here.
  • Options
    omg not teh hamburglar!1!1!1!1!1!1!1!1!1!
  • Options
    If they check so much they how do you explain the tons of illigals?

if you are not racist then how do you explain the above comment?

and spelling for that matter
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    omg not teh hamburglar!1!1!1!1!1!1!1!1!1!
    Is that McDonald's mascot over there now? What happened to Ronald?
  • Options
    Thats Ronald's arch enemy.
  • Options
    Thats Ronald's arch enemy.
    Ooh I see! Do they fight by throwing hamgurgers to each other?
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    A mask, stripey jumper and a bag with 'swag' written on it.

I've seen someone like that in McDonalds before :chin:

rn_hamburglar_r.jpg

haha just noticed he is ginger!!
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    if you are not racist then how do you explain the above comment?

and spelling for that matter

I fail to see how that comment is racist. I'm just talking about what appear to be illegals. Ok, prehaps they're not illegals, it just surprises me how we can allow people to legally immigrate and find work when they only speak the language to a basic level. To immigrate to the US, Canada and many over countries you have to take a language proficiency test and score fairly high to a near fluent level.

As I stated before, I would think the same if they were loads of immigrants from a white country ourside the EU that didn't speak the language, for example, Russia.
  • Options

They have a load of mascots. Ronald, the Hamburglar, Grimace and that duck thing.

They came over in the back of a lorry and stole the mascot jobs from good, honest god fearing British mascots. Shocking turn of events.
  • Options
    I fail to see how that comment is racist. I'm just talking about what appear to be illegals. Ok, prehaps they're not illegals, it just surprises me how we can allow people to legally immigrate and find work when they only speak the language to a basic level. To immigrate to the US, Canada and many over countries you have to take a language proficiency test and score fairly high to a near fluent level.

As I stated before, I would think the same if they were loads of immigrants from a white country ourside the EU that didn't speak the language, for example, Russia.

thats the thing we are not the US
  • Options
    Oh really? I know of plenty of young, white British people who apply for jobs at fast food places and are perfectly willing to take the jobs.
    makes me wonder what is wrong with the people applying for the jobs if they are willing to employ someone who has only a basic grip of the language rather than someone fluent
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    makes me wonder what is wrong with the people applying for the jobs if they are willing to employ someone who has only a basic grip of the language rather than someone fluent

Oh you reminded me of my favorite show, I just saw that on there!
    http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/mind_of_mencia/index.jhtml Its under the i have a dream bit, in the last minute and a halfish. So totally hilarous.
  • Options
    Why would you wana work there anyway??
    Places such as Shoefayre and Resturants take on at 14!
  • Options

White country? You mean a country covered in snow?
  • Options
    They appear illigal to me. Barely speak English, arab, black, asian. Or should we just blame our pathetic immigration system?

The majority of McDonald's workers I've seen or known in my own town and various others appear to be young people - i.e students. I also work with a student from China, and I know from helping her fill in her applications that they wanted more from her than they did from me. She struggles to speak English also, but she's getting there.

I'd like to see you go to another country for education and get by without working AND speak their language immaculately (And no, I don't mean going to English speaking countries).

Hold back on your judgement next time, take a little time to talk to people ;)
  • Options
    I fail to see how that comment is racist.

Why, are you thick as well as trolling?
    I'm just talking about what appear to be illegals.

How do they "appear" to be "illegals"?

Because they're foreign, and all foreign people come into the country in the back of lorries, yeah?
    it just surprises me how we can allow people to legally immigrate and find work when they only speak the language to a basic level.

What is your opinion of the English community in Southern Spain?

And?

Still makes you racist and xenophobic.
  • Options
    Er... back to the original question.

I work (not for much longer) in a store of a large national company. The senior mangement have regularly taken on staff with no proof of age/NI if the employee says they are waiting on the application to come through (which happens alot with foreigner students) an their file reads as 'awaiting NI proof'. It has been known in store to have had people on that for up to a few months.