Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Working at McDonalds, underage.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 15 and don't have a NI number, so basically, I'm going to put in an application in McDonalds and see if I get a job offer. I put a BS date of birth down and left the NI field blank.

I'm guess they'll just reject the application due to lack of NI number, but I'm going to put it in anyway because I'm told by some people McDonalds don't give a shit who they employ and generally don't even check the NI number.

So, what are my chances?

Comments

• Options
    Haha!

Stop it.
  • Options
  • Options
    I thought most jobs these days required either proof of NI number/or proof of age?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I thought most jobs these days required either proof of NI number/or proof of age?

Legally, yes, but I'm told McDonalds don't give a shit.
  • Options
    You've got absolutely no chance. I worked there for years. At your induction, they want to see proof of identity.

Say you managed to get an interview and got the job, at the induction you would have to bring along proof of identity which they would photocopy- this has to be either a driving licence or your birth certificate. You need your NI number. You cannot work there otherwise.

Don't bother. Mc'Donalds don't employ anyone younger than 16 and to be honest, you are silly in thinking you can fool them.
  • Options
    Most of the McDonalds I've have been to in my local area, which I go into when there is no where else to get something to eat, when I'm late home from work, as i don't think they even check if the person can speak or understand English. But in they do seem to check your age for some reason.
  • Options
    COF wrote:
    I'm guess they'll just reject the application due to lack of NI number

You're perceptive.
  • Options
    If they check so much they how do you explain the tons of illigals?
  • Options
    If they check so much they how do you explain the tones of illigals?

The tons of illegals?

How do you know that?
  • Options

Interesting. Where did you acquire this information?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    The tons of illegals?

How do you know that?

They appear illigal to me. Barely speak English, arab, black, asian. Or should we just blame our pathetic immigration system?
  • Options
    just because someone is foreign, does not mean they are an illegal as you put it
  • Options
    They appear illigal to me. Barely speak English, arab, black, asian. Or should we just blame our pathetic immigration system?

Appear illegal? So you don't really have any idea.
  • Options

That doesn't mean they're illegals.

They may be genuine refugees, and i'd rather they work then take benefits.
  • Options
    Do they have some kind of mark on them or something? To make them appear illegal?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    just because someone is foreign, does not mean they are an illegal as you put it

I wasn't talking about foreign, I meant their language difficulty. They only understand enough just to take your order - I know from experience.

If you can immigrate to the UK, without speaking English and get a unskilled job, I question what this country is coming to. Our immigration system is so pathetic. Most countries wouldn't allow them in unless they had skills that would benifit their economy and spoke the language fluently.
  • Options

Just because they have an accent and their English is not up to your high standards does not make them a so called 'illegal' :yeees:
  • Options
    Ah, how lovely, a 15 year old racist. :(

Seriously, don't spout such bollocks until you have a clue what's going on in the world.

Exactly what i was gonna say.

In a couple of years he/she might figure out the difference.
  • Options
    cuz dey shud lern da languge if dey want to live in our country, der :rolleyes:
    they took our jobs
  • Options
    Ah, how lovely, a 15 year old racist. :(

Seriously, don't spout such bollocks until you have a clue what's going on in the world.

So, I'm a racist because I think we should have an immigartion system that only allowed people in who would be a benifit to the country? If that makes me racist then that makes most other countries in the world racist.
  • Options
    I wasn't talking about foreign, I meant their language difficulty. They only understand enough just to take your order - I know from experience.

If you can immigrate to the UK, without speaking English and get a unskilled job, I question what this country is coming to. Our immigration system is so pathetic. Most countries wouldn't allow them in unless they had skills that would benifit their economy and spoke the language fluently.

Why don't you just go away and have a think about what you are saying. I don't necessarily have a problem with your view (we are all entitled to one) but the way you put it across just makes you sound like an utter prat.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    So, I'm a racist because I think we should have an immigartion system that only allowed people in who would be a benifit to the country? If that makes me racist then that makes most other countries in the world racist.

If they're working in McDonalds are they not benefiting our country?

The slow rate i get my Big Mac and fries at these days, i'm all for more people working there!
  • Options
    Fine, you tell me why we should let unskilled immigrants in who barely speak English? Or is the rest of the world just ignorent? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It is not like they are taking jobs that our in high demand from others. They are working in jobs that most people would prefer not to work in.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Fine, you tell me why we should let unskilled immigrants in who barely speak English? Or is the rest of the world just ignorent? :rolleyes:

Ever heard of the word "asylum"?
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    It is not like they are taking jobs that our in high demand from others. They are working in jobs that most people would prefer not to work in.

Oh really? I know of plenty of young, white British people who apply for jobs at fast food places and are perfectly willing to take the jobs.