Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Charles Clarke is axed!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4975938.stm

Still wouldn't jump, and had to be pushed... :rolleyes:

Glad to see Jack Straw out of the Foreign Secretary job- shame he's not out of the government altogether.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Condi will be upset :)

Come on though Margaret Beckett? She couldn't even handle foot and mouth and now shes supposed to handle Iraq and Afghanistan, fuck me they're scraping the bottom of the barrel now.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    Come on though Margaret Beckett? She couldn't even handle foot and mouth and now shes supposed to handle Iraq and Afghanistan, fuck me they're scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Good to know I'm not the only one who thought that. Hardly the best representative for the UK, is she?
  • Options
    Just goes to show, a few days ago Blair said he was the man to sort out the mess, now he's sacked. If Blair praises you, beware!
  • Options
    Whether or not its really the case, the Labour government now looks and feels like its on its last legs. They are going to have to pull something really special out of the hat to stop the decline.
  • Options
    With luck the Labour Government will die and be dead for a fair few years.

Re-shuffles certainly wont save it, i mean promoting Beckett and Kelly, WTF?!?!
  • Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one who thought that. Hardly the best representative for the UK, is she?

If Labour disgracing the post of Foreign Secretary with Robin Cook wasn’t bad enough we now have the embarrassment of Margaret Beckett in the position. It's good to see Clarke go although I'm not convinced the former Communist John Reid will do a better job...

Still, there’s been plenty of good news:
    1. Labour has lost more than 250 councillors while the Conservatives have gained over 270 seats and took control of more councils.
    2. John Prescott has lost his department.
    3. Charles Clarke has been sacked.
    4. Ruth Kelly has been demoted.
  • Options
    Having been away for a few weeks, I've not been able to comment about this here. Rest assured though that I haven't forgotten about the lies and incompetence of this useless government. I'm delighted that Charles Clarke was sacked, but it was, of course "too little, too late" from a Prime Minister on his way out. He should have been sacked the moment this story broke. Seems more like the act of a Prime Minister desperate to save his own bacon rather than a Prime Minister geniunely concerned with the mess at the Home Office right now.

I'm also delighted to see that the oafish John Prescott has lost control of his department formally. Informally, it happened years ago, but I digress. Presumably he can now spend more time shagging the secretary.
  • Options
    [QUOTE=bongbudda]Whether or not its really the case, the Labour government now looks and feels like its on its last legs. They are going to have to pull something really special out of the hat to stop the decline.[/QUOTE] Gordon Brown? ;)

Come to think of it, do you realise how he always manages to stay well clear of scandals or to even be associated with those involved? The man has a plan. :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Gordon Brown? Come to think of it, do you realise how he always manages to stay well clear of scandals or to even be associated with those involved? The man has a plan.
    Remember when Prescott's affair was exposed, Hewitt was jeered by nurses and we found out over a thousand foreign prisoners had not been deported, all on the same day - where was Gordon? Living it up with Angelina Jolie. Well, given a choice between being patronised into submission by the Health Secretary or asking about Jolie's overly large lips, I know which I'd choose.
  • Options
    I agree with what Galloway said about Brown- "Brown and Blair are two cheeks of the same arse".

Hopefully it'll be another 18 years before we see Labour in power again.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I agree with what Galloway said about Brown- "Brown and Blair are two cheeks of the same arse". Hopefully it'll be another 18 years before we see Labour in power again.
    18 years of David Cameron? I think I'll book my one-way ticket to Bermuda now...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I agree with what Galloway said about Brown- "Brown and Blair are two cheeks of the same arse".

:D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The less said about what's between the said arse, the better.

On another note, will they now deport Charles Clarke?
  • Options
    2 Jags Prescott, though... loses his department and most of his responsibility but keeps the perks.

Erm... wtf?

John Reid's been doing remarkably well, he was party chairman in 2003 and he's just been promoted every reshuffle since. I think he's a competent guy but it'll be interesting to see how he handles this.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    2 Jags Prescott, though... loses his department and most of his responsibility but keeps the perks.

Erm... wtf?
    And yet people still keep voting for that party. Baffling.
  • Options
    If the government's in trouble, they send for John Reid. That's his purpose in the cabinet. Nine different jobs in nine years. Maybe they should rotate all the cabinet members in this way. Twelve months at education, twelve months at health, twelve months at transport and so on...

As for John Prescott, you've got to remember the first term. He was both Deputy Prime Minister (a fundamentally meaningless job when Tony's in the country) and Transport Secretary. That job was taken from him in 2001, and a department was created called Office of the Deputy Prime Minister. Five years on, civil servants still seem relatively clueless on what this departmental juggernaut actually does. Presumably, this is to give John Prescott more time to shag his secretary whilst also presiding over the building of thousands of houses in the South-East of England.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    civil servants still seem relatively clueless on what this departmental juggernaut actually does.

Funnily enough I know exactly what it does (or did)
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Funnily enough I know exactly what it does (or did)
    Do tell us.
  • Options
    Local Government, Regional Policy, sustainable communities, fire, neighbourhood renewal and social exclusion
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Local Government, Regional Policy, sustainable communities, fire, neighbourhood renewal and social exclusion
    And they put John Prescott in charge of all that? God help us! I wouldn't trust him to run a bath, never mind a government department.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:

Glad to see Jack Straw out of the Foreign Secretary job- shame he's not out of the government altogether.

Prescy is losing part of his job too!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Prescy is losing part of his job too!
    More and more, we have to ask, what is the point of Two Shags? Does he have a job in the Cabinet for any other reason that Tony would get a thumping if he tried to sack him? Presumably, being stripped of his responsibilities means (a) Tony Blair has finally cottoned on to the fact his deputy couldn't run a bath, never mind a government department, and (b) it gives Prezza more time to shag around with his secretaries. :rolleyes: I despair.
  • Options
    Tbh, I thought Charles Clarke should have stayed. He should be the one clearing up the mess he made. And not some other poor sod. It would have done the party good had someone actually put their hands up said look i made a big boo boo and now im gonna clean up the poo poo. But NOOoooooo.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Either Clarke is very dumb or got a lot of principles cos he was offered other cabinet jobs but turned them down so his salary I assume goes down by about £52,000 per year to around £48,000 - not many people would volunteer for a 50%+ drop in their pay.
  • Options
    Watch out. The knives are out for Blair! :D
    Tony Blair came under carefully choreographed public and private pressure from Gordon Brown's closest supporters yesterday to set out the timetable for his departure in the wake of dire local election results.

[...]If Mr Blair does not bow to the pressure backbench MPs intend to publish a letter, possibly by the end of next week, with as many as 75 signatures calling on him to agree the transition or face a formal challenge.
    http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/story/0,,1768939,00.html

The scariest (or most revolting) thing is, chances are Blair hasn't given a date for his departure yet because he's trying to stretch his now stagnant premiership to November 2008, when he will pass Thatcher's time in office and become the longest serving PM in history.

Fuck off Blair. Piss off now.

PS Regardless of whether they are Labour, Tory, Lib Dem or anything else, is there a single person in the country who would like to see Blair continue? I doubt it...
  • Options
    I saw Paddy Ashdown speaking on the BBC last night - I always thought he'd make a good PM.
  • Options
    Blair has handled it all very well.

If he sacked CC before the locals, it would have been said he did it because of them - and Labour would have still done badly. Doing it after fills the headlines with that rather than "Labour are Losers", and Blair is portrayed as someone who is perhaps too compassionate.

He's packed the cabiner with people seen to be Blairites. "whoever" replaces him will be able to replace pretty much the whole lot on this basis, and thus present the electorate with fresh faces - who will probably be more competant, and pass off the majority of public upset as "that was the other guy's team"
  • Options
    Blair should have quit already. The teflon effect has worn out quite a long time ago.

I suppose he's partly staying in because he wants to be remembered for some 'legacy' policy on health or education, instead of the war on Iraq. But that's not going to happen.
  • Options
    And now we have Reid as Home Sec, a sort of cross between John Ashcroft and Reinhardt Heydrich. Hurray!
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    Tbh, I thought Charles Clarke should have stayed. He should be the one clearing up the mess he made. And not some other poor sod. It would have done the party good had someone actually put their hands up said look i made a big boo boo and now im gonna clean up the poo poo. But NOOoooooo.

just to clarify, the origional problem wasnt actually caused by charles clarke