Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ethical dilemmas

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    Not sure of your point (or even if you had one).

But if we're throwing wiki at each other perhaps this will warn you of the problems of just sitting back and minding your own business

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

You aren`t sure of my point.Your wiki example emphasizes my point as much as my wiki example. I`m advocating minding your own business INSTEAD of violently threatening others if they don`t agree or fit in with your view of the world.

I`m not advocating sitting back if some sociopath decides they should mind your business for you.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    You aren`t sure of my point.Your wiki example emphasizes my point as much as my wiki example. I`m advocating minding your own business INSTEAD of violently threatening others if they don`t agree or fit in with your view of the world.

I`m not advocating sitting back if some sociopath decides they should mind your business for you.

Er, but the whole point of the poem is about people sitting back because they're not being interfered with. Which is what you actually advocate - your entire political philosphy seems to be a rather convoluted version 'Im alright, Jack'
  • Options
    so answer the question i put to you somewhere in this thread...

if you walked past a pond and saw a child drowning in it, would you mind your own business then?

It`s not relevant to the point I`m making but I`m finding that assertiveness of yours intoxicating. :flirt: :flirt: :flirt:

My first thought is why "a child" and not "a person". Tugging at the heartstrings perhaps ? A paraplegic newborn would have been better, I suppose.

I`d ask myself( very quickly) if my help was needed. Highly unlikely, but the child may not want my help.

Self interest is the thing that would probably cause me not to help in any way I could.

Some examples:

The "government" have passed a law saying it is illegal to help children drowning in ponds.Anyone breaking this law faces the death sentence.On seeing the child, I also notice some armed thug with his silly costume from the Office of Pond Patrol looking menacingly at me with an itchy finger.

I can`t swim and there is a strong likelihood I would be the first to drown.

A loved one (e.g. my own child) is in mortal danger at the same time.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Er, but the whole point of the poem is about people sitting back because they're not being interfered with. Which is what you actually advocate - your entire political philosphy seems to be a rather convoluted version 'Im alright, Jack'

As John Lennon said "IMAGINE".

Never thought about it like that but if the entire political philosophy of EVERYONE on this rotating ball of dirt had that "I`m alright, Jack" attitude there could be instant world peace and all the perceived problems may suddenly become unconvoluted.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    As John Lennon said "IMAGINE".

Never thought about it like that but if the entire political philosophy of EVERYONE on this rotating ball of dirt had that "I`m alright, Jack" attitude there could be instant world peace and all the perceived problems may suddenly become unconvoluted.

But they don't - so those who try to stop the world and try to get off are ignoring their moral responsibilities. Fine, if that's what you want to do, but the moral high ground looks pretty shaky...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But they don't - so those who try to stop the world and try to get off are ignoring their moral responsibilities. Fine, if that's what you want to do, but the moral high ground looks pretty shaky...

Stop the world and try to get off ? Where have I given you that idea ?

When you have happiness in your life, I find that you want things to last forever.

Moral responsibilities ?

What are they ? And to whom are you responsible ? :confused:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    My question to you is, do we really have the right to mind our own business if some moral evil is about to occur, and we have the potential to avert it and yet do not?

To paraphrase Voltaire, "If you wish to discourse with me young lady,first define your terms"

"Moral Evil" ? ? What is it ? How would you define it ? Subjective,surely,unless you accept a universal morality ?
    You may see the people in the trolleys as nothing to do with you, but then so is a random child drowning in a pond, so I want to know how far this intuition of yours that it's acceptable to just "mind your own business" will get you in the case of other examples.

The Law Of Unintended Consequences notwithstanding I see a difference in the examples.

The child (a subjectively "good" person ) is (I`ll assume just for you :love: ) in need of assistance and to help wouldn`t,so far as one can see, harm another.

The trolley example involved the murder of someone by you performing your so-called moral duty (?).
    Interesting digression, but not really that relevant, because it's not happened and not going to happen.

If I may be so bold but I`ll digress briefly and let you know that a little bird told me of an incident on a railway station with her boyfriend that had echoes of this ;) ( A thug in uniform telling you what to do even if it`s the opposite of what you want to do)
    Assume, for the sake of this thought experiment, that you know that the only harm that can come to yourself by rescuing the child is that your very expensive Armani suit, which you only bought yesterday, will be ruined.

An expensive Armani suit isn`t high on my listings of self interest but that`s me. I wouldn`t answer for anyone else.Some may have their suit has their highest value.
    Also, it is worth mentioning that European law differs on this issue from Anglo-American law; on the continent, not stopping to help is a criminal offence for which you can be prosecuted, whereas it isn't in the US and the UK. Here, while people would probably judge you to be a pretty selfish, morally reprehensible human being, the law would have no power to punish your failure to assist, whereas in Europe it would.

I`ll just remind,if you need it, that a law is just some person`s opinion backed by a gun. To threaten to kill someone with your opinion seems like a damn good definition of morally reprehensible.
    But that isn't what I asked you; what I want to know is, in this example, do you have the right to just mind your own business and allow the child to drown?

To answer that specific question, sure you do. (My subjective opinion is that, given the circumstances you have given, very few people would not help).
    And, if not...what gives you the right to mind your own business in the trolley example, and allow five people to be kiled when you are able to prevent it?

The trolley example differs for the reason given earlier. I noticed you said yes to both trolley examples.

Time for you to take the stand,it`s question time.

Why do you think it`s morally right to murder someone in those examples ?

Further......

I`ll wait for your answer(if you care to,that is !) before I ask question 2
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I don't think it's morally good to murder someone to save the lives of five people; in fact, it's quite clearly morally bad. However, it may be the right thing to do, just because it's the lesser of two evils. Sometimes, we may only have a choice between two morally undesirable outcomes, and we have to choose which is the least bad option. Either one person dies, or five people die - without knowing any of the details of the people involved, and assuming they're all strangers to me, the only possible decision, it appears to me at least, has to be based on some sort of utilitarian calculation. Either way, like it or not, I am implicated now; either by pushing and murdering one, or not pushing and allowing five to die which I could have prevented

Put better than I did :)
  • Options
    Of course you later discover that the five saved were actually a gang of thieves who had commandeered the trolley as a last ditch escape vehicle (having just robbed a bank and shot a security guard) and for that reason drove it wrecklessly fast into the situation you happened upon. The one you murdered, on the other hand, happened to be scientist on the cusp of curing AIDS.

Utilitarian arguments are to my mind are merely the moral refuge for the great many who feel they have a right to interfere in situations, the dynamics for which they have no real viable information or personal familiarity.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    If you get onto saving hundreds of thousands of lives at the expense of a few thousand lives or saving millions at the cost of a few hundred thousand your just jumping into the ideas put forward by the mass media or politicians who make similar arguments when it comes to interference in wars or removing dictators from power the only way they know how.

I bet George Bush would argue, about sending troops into Iraq, in much the same way his Father sent troops into Somalia that it was all for the greater good of saving the many at the cost of the few.

(OMG! I sound like Clandestine now...only less complex)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Would anyone else have not flipped the switch on the runaway trolley car? It's actively ending one person's life, I couldn't do it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I depends on the situation, for a hundred lives, would i sacrifice one life...are they AIDS sufferers from Africa? Because then, although drugs can keep them alive a long time, it woulld be something of a waste of the healthy one life in my opinion.

Are they all English or British? Or are some of them Slave labour immigrants who are completely cut off from their families but the one person has a huge family that they see every day with out fail and take care of?

So many what if factors about the people...if it is purely numbers, your at a distance so all you can see is how many they are and not who they are, i dont know, i guess eventually i would decide to sacrifice the one person for the many, but not for just five or 10...unless they were mega hot gorgeous sexy busty women!
  • Options
    Is that one person you ?
  • Options
    No, this is the killing someone else question...if you read my answers to the questions you would see i never would sacrifice myself for anyone i didnt know.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Of course you later discover that the five saved were actually a gang of thieves who had commandeered the trolley as a last ditch escape vehicle (having just robbed a bank and shot a security guard) and for that reason drove it wrecklessly fast into the situation you happened upon. The one you murdered, on the other hand, happened to be scientist on the cusp of curing AIDS.
    That means nothing. You don't know anything about these people. so it's also likely that the one person is someone who raped and murdered 50 people and always escaped while the other five are the monks who were gathering money for starving children.
  • Options
    Which means just as much, by your reasoning.

Again i reiterate that utilitarian arguments are ultimately a moral dodge for those feel they have the right to intervene in situations for which they have no sufficient knowledge.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    ;o just did this and answered no to all of the questions
  • Options
    What about when you have all the facts though...then can you act unilaterally as you desire with no worry?
  • Options
    I'm not sure there is much point in asking such hypothetical questions, other than to study human sociaology. Even though you think you would or wouldn't react in certain way, you might do the exact opposite if a real life situation occured. I guess your 'moral compass' would tell you what action to take at the time.