Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When did football go wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    godscop wrote:
    Yes. Whats that got to do with anything?

Because Jews can't watch TV on a Saturday and can't go to any games... (if you did actually know any, then you should know that)
  • Options
    Not to sure about that, quite a few United fans I know are Jewish and it doesn't stop them.

However I hope your not suggesting KO times should be changed to suit peoples religious beliefs, like thats the reason anyway ffs :lol:
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    Not to sure about that, quite a few United fans I know are Jewish and it doesn't stop them.

However I hope your not suggesting KO times should be changed to suit peoples religious beliefs, like thats the reason anyway ffs :lol:

I'm not actually saying that - what I'm saying is that there are far too many games on a Saturday. And a Sunday would be much better.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Well that's the SPL's fault really.

If you're gonna sell your soul to pay-per-view TV, then what else do you expect?

I don't have a problem with PPV, the SPL was properly fucked financially when we turned down a £50m Sky deal 5 years ago and we had to go cap in hand to the BBC and got a pittance. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me, and it encourages me to go to more games because I think supporting my team is worth more than 30 second highlights on Scotsport on a Monday night. Just a shame my fellow fans don't think so.

I just have no time for glory hunting "fans", it's not like they have to support their adopted English team through thick and thin (never see too many Villa or Leeds fans up here, eh?), it's sheer armchair glory hunting.

But you can bet your bottom dollar once their Scottish team gets anywhere near a final, they'll be right at the front off the queue for tickets probably depriving a proper foulweather fan of getting a chance to see his one footballing love play in a cup final and it makes me fucking sick.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I'm not actually saying that - what I'm saying is that there are far too many games on a Saturday. And a Sunday would be much better.

Better for who? If you reguarly attend matches you want 3pm Saturdays kick offs like it always has been. Means you have plenty of time to travel to away games, have a few beers before etc

All these weird kick off times may suit some armchair fans but for the rest of us its just fucking annoying. I think I can count on one hand the number of 3pm ko's I've been to this season.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    Better for who? If you reguarly attend matches you want 3pm Saturdays kick offs like it always has been. Means you have plenty of time to travel to away games, have a few beers before etc

All these weird kick off times may suit some armchair fans but for the rest of us its just fucking annoying. I think I can count on one hand the number of 3pm ko's I've been to this season.

It's better for people who work on a Saturday who can't get time off work...
  • Options
    godscop wrote:

My teams first game this season 12.45 sat and final game 1.45 sunday. What has happened to tradition. I havent been able to go to some away games just because of the kickoff time e.g. Friday night 7.45, i dont want to have to be waiting for a train or staying somewhere after the game.

Surely more people have Saturday off than weekdays. I wouldnt want to have to travel miles on a weekday night if i have work the next day
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    I just have no time for glory hunting "fans", it's not like they have to support their adopted English team through thick and thin (never see too many Villa or Leeds fans up here, eh?), it's sheer armchair glory hunting.

I've never seen the point in "supporting" a club you will never go and see, whats the point?
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    I've never seen the point in "supporting" a club you will never go and see, whats the point?

Because some people are 'Glory Supporters' therefore, don't have a clue about football and only support a team who are always winning things... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    godscop wrote:

The point is that they can then show off saying "we won the cup, we won the cup". Then they laugh at us people supporting our local football league team because we arent as successful
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    It's better for people who work on a Saturday who can't get time off work...

I'm sorry Sofie I've got a sneaky suspicion that your part of what I'm moaning about.
    What has happened to tradition

:yes: :thumb:
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    The point is that they can then show off saying "we won the cup, we won the cup". Then they laugh at us people supporting our local football league team because we arent as successful

:yes: I support my local team and got called a 'Glory Supporter' because I got asked who I supported the year after we got promoted to League One. (Back then it was Division Two) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The more I think about it the happier I am that Sunday is my last Permiership game.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    The more I think about it the happier I am that Sunday is my last Permiership game.

Why? Sundays will be so boring now with no football on the TV. However, it does mean I can get my arse into gear and revise...
  • Options
    i quite enjoy the footy on sky, its far superior to anything the bbc or itv do, plus i dont mind watching random games when they are on, generally make a evening of it. i think its quite reasonably priced too.

i think its mainly because i dont follow a premiership team tho.

following a championship time usually means regular playing times unless on sky.

i think the creation of the premiership didnt do wonders for the state of football, its widened the gap too much, plus also the collapse of ITV digital did a lot of damage to clubs which is still being felt throughout the football league.
  • Options
    Some of you seem to be forgetting one thing.

Saturday is football day and it always will be!!!
    There's no soccer friday or soccer sunday, there's only soccer saturday!!
    The England games are played on Saturday.

The FA Cup is on Saturday.
    "When we walk through the storm...!!!"
    :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Seconded, although I wouldn't get too cocky about the Champions Leage just yet sunshine. We're gonna do you fucking proper later on :lol:

We got lucky tonight, so I won't rub it in too much, but why gives a fuck it, Champions League here we come!

I'll reply to the other pish tomorrow when I've come down off the ceiling and sobered up.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't see why Sky are being vilified, I really don't.

Football went wrong in 1992 when the Premier League was created. Ever since then the Football League has been unable to cope with the financial clout of the Premier League, and ever since then promoted teams have been singularly unable to cope.

Gone are the days when Aston Villa can finish second the season after promotion, and gone are the days when Leeds can win the title only two years after getting promotion. And definitely gone are the days when big clubs like Chelsea can get relegated out of the top flight.

Sky pay the fee, but it isn't Sky that have driven the money into the game. Sky pay enough to keep the live football, but they don't create the packages and they don't dictate the market price. Murdoch would rather pay half as much as he does, and don't forget it. And as for the stupid kick-off times, they're dictated by the Premier League who sold such a huge TV package to Sky.
    Sky is responsible for the epidemic of unnatural kick-off times in the Premiership that plagues us.

Sky is also responsible for more kids than ever before from Cornwall, from Devon, from the Lake Districts, supporting clubs fucking hundreds of miles away. Who needs to support your "lowly" unglamorous local club when you can follow the likes of Man U or Arsenal live practically every week from your telly? Some of the most fundamental basic principles of football, 'supporting your local club' and 'football in the community', are being eroded irreversively by this gravy train that is the ever increasing number of Premiership games being shown live on TV.

The only concession I'll make is that had Sky not won the rights initially all of the above would have still happened, under a different company. It's the existence of such money-making commercial enterprises that has caused the problems. But as the company that won the rights it is normal for Sky to find itself the target of criticism.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Because Jews can't watch TV on a Saturday and can't go to any games... (if you did actually know any, then you should know that)

How come Spurs always manage to draw a crowd then? :D
  • Options
    Efforts to make football "politically correct". People being thrown out of grounds for swearing and "intimidation"? WTF? :confused:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    How come Spurs always manage to draw a crowd then? :D

Because there are Spurs fans who aren't Jewish? (Or they could be supporting the other team)
  • Options
    We got lucky tonight, so I won't rub it in too much, but why gives a fuck it, Champions League here we come!

You're only in the qualifying stages my Jambo friend, far as am aware you've got a first round to get through, then you'll probably have to play a seeded team which finished 3rd in their league before you even get near the group stage. Looking at the leagues around Europe, that means the likes Real Madrid or Liverpool I'm afraid.

If Hearts make it into the group stages I'll go out into the street, scoop up the nearest dog shit, put it in a blender and have a dog shit smoothie :yum:
  • Options
    It all went wrong when Arsene Wenger moved to this country!
  • Options
    I had to get to Manchester for 11 o clock to watch Man City v. Everton earlier this season. I mean, what the fucks that about? It took the players 'til half time to wake up.

I reckon the prices are the main reason for not bothering any more. You can go and watch Real Madrid or Barcelona for about £15. I could actually get a flight over there and watch them for the same price as a ticket over here. Check out the car-parks of your club now if it's a premiership one. I bet it's full of Audis and Mercedes.

And the fact that too much is on TV nowadays. I feel sorry for the real Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool fans, because there's so many glory supporters. It's quite easy to spot them. If they're over 22, they'll support Liverpool. Between 16 and 21, they'll support Man Utd. And under 16, they'll support Chelsea. With a few Arsenal fans dotted about in between.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Sky is responsible for the epidemic of unnatural kick-off times in the Premiership that plagues us.

Sky is also responsible for more kids than ever before from Cornwall, from Devon, from the Lake Districts, supporting clubs fucking hundreds of miles away. Who needs to support your "lowly" unglamorous local club when you can follow the likes of Man U or Arsenal live practically every week from your telly? Some of the most fundamental basic principles of football, 'supporting your local club' and 'football in the community', are being eroded irreversively by this gravy train that is the ever increasing number of Premiership games being shown live on TV.

I have to point out that people have been coming up to Old Trafford from the West Country for 30+ years, I don't consider them glory hunters. Obviously thats not all of them though.
    Why? Sundays will be so boring now with no football on the TV. However, it does mean I can get my arse into gear and revise...

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    Efforts to make football "politically correct". People being thrown out of grounds for swearing and "intimidation"? WTF?

Footballs supposed to be watched in scilence isn't it? Thats what a worrying amount of people seem to think going off some of the looks I get at an average match.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    I have to point out that people have been coming up to Old Trafford from the West Country for 30+ years, I don't consider them glory hunters. Obviously thats not all of them though.
    I agree. Many of them will be better fans than some little rich kid who's daddy pays for a box at every home game, but he really couldn't give a shit about the team really. Same for all the Celtic fans who come from Northern Ireland every week. It's about how much you sacrifice to support your team, and how willing you would be to carry on, no matter how well they were doing.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    You're only in the qualifying stages my Jambo friend, far as am aware you've got a first round to get through, then you'll probably have to play a seeded team which finished 3rd in their league before you even get near the group stage. Looking at the leagues around Europe, that means the likes Real Madrid or Liverpool I'm afraid.

If Hearts make it into the group stages I'll go out into the street, scoop up the nearest dog shit, put it in a blender and have a dog shit smoothie :yum:

Haha, me and my mates were saying last night that it's pretty much written in the stars that we'll get put out in the first game. It's all part of being a Jambo!
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Because there are Spurs fans who aren't Jewish? (Or they could be supporting the other team)

It was a joke.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

No it isn't.

The Premier League decides the fixture list, and how many live games are in the package, not the broadcaster.

I'd also suggest that Sky wouldn't have 5.15 kickoffs if they were allowed to screen games between 3 and 5 on a Saturday afternoon. Not that they should be allowed to.
    Sky is also responsible for more kids than ever before from Cornwall, from Devon, from the Lake Districts, supporting clubs fucking hundreds of miles away.

Oh, for god's sake, they did that before. It's nothing new.

All the kids supported Liverpool in the 1980s, they all supported Man Utd in the 1960s. Bradford and Halifax and Huddersfield and Barnsley have seen their stadiums empty for fifty years, with everyone driving up the road to watch the filth at Bellend Road because they were more successful.

And what is "supporting your local side" though? My local side are the Toon. I don't support them- never have, never will.
    It's the existence of such money-making commercial enterprises that has caused the problems.

*yawn*

And if the BBC won the contract for live games you wouldn't have an issue, yeah? They're not out to make money, after all.

And the FA Cup this year wasn't wanked about with because of Sky, was it?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No it isn't.

The Premier League decides the fixture list, and how many live games are in the package, not the broadcaster.
    But the reason the PL decides to have ever increasing number of live games is because the business of broadcasting live football is highly lucrative. And it is highly lucrative because fucking cunts like Rupert Murdoch like to take over the world and shower everyone with their dirty money so they can gain as many TV rights as they can as they expand their all-engulfing empire.

Of course, the PL is much to blame for selling itself. But let's not pretend BSkyB hasn't played a fundamental part in this.