Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

applying for job when pregnant?

Theres a job for 10-12 hours a week advertised in my local Lush. Id love to work there and its not that many hours. Only thing is, im 6 weeks pregnant. Is it worth me applying?
If i didnt tell them about the pregnancy, theyd think i decieved them, and if I did, theres more chance that they just wouldnt give me the job in the first place. I can just really see myself working somewhere like that though.
NMM says I should go for it, but my mum says too many chemicals and too much on my feet (even though its only 10 hours)

WWYD?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I shouldn't think it would be a problem. There's no harm in trying anyway.
    One of the girls at my work is almost 25 weeks pregnant, she is huge already! I work in a hotel and it's pretty heavy work. This girl worked 16 hours a week right up until she was 7 months pregnant with her first child and plans to do the same with this pregnancy.
    The worst they can do is say no and if it starts to get too much for you then you can always leave. If you're really worried about it you could always ask the doctor or midwife for their opinion.
    Good luck if you do decide to go for it :)
  • Options
    its not the working whilst pregnant - I worked when i was pregnant with lenny right up till 3 days before I went into labour! Its more like will they give me the job in the first place being that ill be off on mat leave in 6 months anyway.
    Is it worth me even applying. I get really nervous about interviews. Its not something I just take in my stride, even at the best of times.
  • Options
    I don't think you have to tell an employer until you are 6 months gone but I'm not sure about where you stand on applying for the job. Personally, I'd make out I didn't know I was pregnant at the time of the interview. But that's me!
  • Options
    I'd say its best to be open with them from the start. I can see why you would think it might go agianst you but i still think honesty is the best policy. If you tell them that you had no problem working until late in your pregnancy with lenny I think they should consider you as fiarly as other applicants. I just dont think it would look veyr good dman the line if they did give you the job... and then a month you said you were pregnant. But thats just me :)
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Personally, I'd make out I didn't know I was pregnant at the time of the interview. But that's me!

I was going to say this, seeing as you are only 6 weeks gone i think it would be totally beliveable, but it's up to you.
  • Options
    Hello,

I think the first issue you have to tackle is that you probably (I'm 99% sure) won't get any maternaty benefits - if they are nice then they will give you 6 months off but they are in no way obliged to do so. I'm not even sure you are entitiled to statutory maternity pay. Was having a conversation about this with a friend who is a midwife who was saying that basically you can get pregnant in yoru first few months at a new job and still get some benefits, but in general you have to have been working somehwere for a minimum ammount of time in order to get even statutory maternity pay.

Saying you dont' know that your pregnant is definately somehting you can get away with - but it will become pretty obvious soon and you'll have to tell them your going to need time off and you'll need to provide a doctors certificate with your due date on it, which means they could work back.

I'd apply for the job though - tell them during the interview stage that your pregnant and see what happens. If your good they may take you on anyway and might be inclined to let you come back.

There is more information here
  • Options
    It totally depends on the employer if its a problem or not so its up to you.
    It could be a problem later in pregnancy too standing up all the time. You might not be so lucky this time around.
  • Options
    They wouldn't be obliged to pay you Maternity Pay, but you would be able to claim Maternity Allowance from the DSS instead.

I would go for it and keep schtum about your pregnancy. I started my job when I was pregnant (not that I knew at the time though) and I only told them I was pregnant when I reached 24 weeks, which is the legal cut off point where you have to tell your employer. Luckily I had a square rather than a bump and nobody realised! I left both my jobs (was working 50 odd hour weeks) at 36 weeks pregnant. A lot of people (like me) may not even have realised they were pregnant yet!

When you reach 24 weeks your midwife gives you form MATB1, which you then have to give to your employer - even if you know they won't pay you Maternity Pay. They then have to write to you and either say Yes - we will pay you SMP or No - you don't qualify (in which case you then pass that letter onto the benefits agency who then arrange your Maternity Allowance)

At the end of the day it's only 10-12 hours a week, the jobs sounds lovely and I thought Lush were all organic etc - so would have thought u would be safe there.
  • Options
    I only told them I was pregnant when I reached 24 weeks, which is the legal cut off point where you have to tell your employer.

Seriously? You HAVE to tell your employer? How strange, I was working well past 24 weeks and didn't say anything...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Seriously? You HAVE to tell your employer? How strange, I was working well past 24 weeks and didn't say anything...

Yeah you are supposed to tell them.
  • Options
    I wonder when we'll need to inform them we're ovulating, or when we're going through the menopause...
  • Options
    We'll to be fair they need to know as you will be having time off/leaving.
  • Options
    I dont think ill be able to get away with it that long. I showed quite early last time, and youre supposed to show even earlier with a second baby.
    I know I wouldnt get maternity pay from them, id have to claim that seperatly.
    Ill see how it goes.
  • Options
    Theres a job for 10-12 hours a week advertised in my local Lush. Id love to work there and its not that many hours. Only thing is, im 6 weeks pregnant. Is it worth me applying?
    If i didnt tell them about the pregnancy, theyd think i decieved them, and if I did, theres more chance that they just wouldnt give me the job in the first place. I can just really see myself working somewhere like that though.
    NMM says I should go for it, but my mum says too many chemicals and too much on my feet (even though its only 10 hours)

WWYD?
    I don't think they would feel deceived: many women wouldn't even know until later on than 6 weeks anyway.

I wouldn't think that you would be handling any harmful chemicals either tbh.

As for being on your feet, I know shop work can be physically tired but I've never been pregnant so I don't really know how it would effect you.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    We'll to be fair they need to know as you will be having time off/leaving.

True, lol, I guess I've just never felt enough employee loyalty to give a stuff.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say, and I would apply for the job.

It'll be another seven months before you'd need to go on maternity, and there aren't that many who stay in a part-time retail job that long.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

Only for the purpose of sorting out Maternity Pay / Maternity Allowance. Leave it any later than that and it can cause problems with getting the payments in place in time.
  • Options
    lush products are made from natural stuff anyhoo arent they? so i dont think youll be near any chemicals.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think there is no harm in applying and not mentioning it. You never know, you may get it. If not, then you won't regret giving it a go.
  • Options
    Apply to do it, lush is all natural so no harse chemicals. But its your choice whether you admit to being pregnant or not. Best thing to do is not say anything at the interview, seeing as you are so early in the pregnancy and then mention it to them if you get the job, and claim that you found out in the intermediate period.
  • Options
    yeah thats a good idea ^^^
  • Options
    my friend was applying for jobs when she found out she was pregnant,she kept quiet and made out she found out a few weeks into the job. i would apply, but not tell them about the pregnancy.
  • Options
    Tbh, you've got nothing to lose from applying - and it's what ever you felt was comfortable when telling them you're pregnant - like people have said, legally, your ages away from the cut off point.

And as you said, its only 12 hours a week. I do more than that at college and spend more time at home lazing about than anything. If you don't apply, you might regret it in a months time :) My mate started a job at her local Spar when she was maybe 2 and a half months pregnant. She even told them at the interview she was saving for the baby, and she got the job. Albeit, it's a different place/time/company/situation etc but it goes to show maybe they won't be so bothered. She leaves end of this week to have her baby in June, but that's just her choice to leave that early.

Good luck - whatever you decide :)
  • Options
    Please remember if you work for x many hours per week leading up to the most you can while pregnant you will be entitled to Stat. Maternity Pay of £100 p/w
  • Options
    Please remember if you work for x many hours per week leading up to the most you can while pregnant you will be entitled to Stat. Maternity Pay of £100 p/w

No thats wrong. She would only be entitled to Maternity Allowance now. To qualify for SMP she would have had to been employed for 26 consecutive weeks, up and into the 15th week before the expected due date. Basically she would have had to have started the job a week before she fell pregnant. The average weekly wage would have to be at least £82 too - which I doubt as the post is only 10-12 hours a week.
  • Options
    No thats wrong. She would only be entitled to Maternity Allowance now. To qualify for SMP she would have had to been employed for 26 consecutive weeks, up and into the 15th week before the expected due date. Basically she would have had to have started the job a week before she fell pregnant. The average weekly wage would have to be at least £82 too - which I doubt as the post is only 10-12 hours a week.
    yep I wouldnt get SMP. I know that.
  • Options
    Best thing to do is not say anything at the interview, seeing as you are so early in the pregnancy and then mention it to them if you get the job, and claim that you found out in the intermediate period.

i think i would do this.

i think it'd be best to be honest with them eventually, but if you were honest from the start you might compromise your chances.
  • Options
    paperdoll wrote:
    lush products are made from natural stuff anyhoo arent they? so i dont think youll be near any chemicals.
    I was going to say that.

And, yeah, 6 weeks is early, you don't need to worry about not telling them. It's not like you have a huge baby bump and will be off next week.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    My sister went for a job in Tesco last year when she was five months pregnant! They accepted her with open arms and made her two months there really comfortable so she wasn't always sitting down. They gave her a good maternity pay as well and said she could come back, which she didn't (though said she would do) but they didn't and couldn't do anything about that...
  • Options
    have you applied for the job at Lush yet?