Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When did football go wrong?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Italia 90
World Cup held in US
Creation of the Premier League
Sky TV
Euro 96
All seater stadiums ie Hillsborough and the Bradford fire
David Beckham
"Fans" like Zoe fucking Ball
More disposable income and evermore greedy clubs
When winning trophies became more important than matchday expeience
"Branding"
Clubs seeing fans as "customers"

Anyone think of any more?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Scottish football fans "supporting" English teams.

What's the fucking point?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Scottish football fans "supporting" English teams.

What's the fucking point?

Thats probably something to do with the Scottish league being on a par with the League of Wales and that Celtic/Rangers want to play in England but never will.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:

Anyone think of any more?

When teams like porto and liverpool starting winning the champions league. And now this year a team thats struggling to finish 5th in the premiership looks like they'll win it.
  • Options
    The amount of game not being played at 3.00pm on a Saturday.

Monday night matches, Thursday matches, Friday night matchs they just arent my cup of tea
  • Options
    Jebus wrote:
    When teams like porto and liverpool starting winning the champions league. And now this year a team thats struggling to finish 5th in the premiership looks like they'll win it.

That doesnt really matter. Arsenal have deserved there right to be in that final.
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:

Monday night matches, Thursday matches, Friday night matchs they just arent my cup of tea

11.30 am Saturday, 11.30am Sunday, 4pm Sunday, 5.15 Saturday any time but 3pm Saturday really. :yes:
  • Options
    Without a doubt the lethal combination of

Sky TV
    +
    Creation of the Premiership
    +
    All seater stadiums

All later events, from prawn sandwich fans to the David Beckham 'phenomenon' are a direct result of the first two (and in the case of prawn sandwich eaters and 'celebrity' football fans, the third one also).

That is why I'm happier by the day to support a humble non-league club*

* even though we lost the playoff semi last night and will not be going up- oh well.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    11.30 am Saturday, 11.30am Sunday, 4pm Sunday, 5.15 Saturday any time but 3pm Saturday really. :yes:
    Three weeks ago out of 10 Premiershit games, only 3 started at 3pm on Saturday.

Fuck Murdoch and fuck BSkyB.
  • Options
    ITV digital disaster + greedy clueless twats (e.g Vialli) ruined the second tier of english football.

however, its still more exciting and competive than the premiership x100
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    * even though we lost the playoff semi last night and will not be going up- oh well.

Was gutted tbh.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sky, Massive price increases, David Beckham and the fall of mass scale hooliganism.
  • Options
    influx of foreign players affecting wages?
  • Options
    Jebus wrote:

:confused:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Three weeks ago out of 10 Premiershit games, only 3 started at 3pm on Saturday.

Fuck Murdoch and fuck BSkyB.

:yes:

I can remember the time when the only non-saturday games were big matches like man utd-liverpool or whatever, now it's wednesday night football with sunderland-west brom. :yeees:

I think the fact that club football isn't local is what's fucking it up, no dedication in most of these foreign footballers. Also fucking twats who fall at any chance given, get off your fucking feet and play a bit of football. Destorys the fluency of the game IMO.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    Thats probably something to do with the Scottish league being on a par with the League of Wales and that Celtic/Rangers want to play in England but never will.

The days of Scottish football being a two-team league are over.
  • Options

Its now a 1 team league :D
  • Options

For one season perhaps, theres no way Hearts can compete in the long run and you realise that surely?
  • Options
    Why not? Once we get a stable manager, a few more strong singings in then theres no reason why we can't compete. Vlad has said he has a three year year plan, this has been the first year and look whats happened.
  • Options
    I cant see Rangers being to happy at you pushing them down to third, result will mean they'll throw money at the problem, up there only Celtic/Rangers have that sort of cash? Realistically I don't see how anyone else can compete, they're light years ahead of anyone else in Scotland.
  • Options

Seconded, although I wouldn't get too cocky about the Champions Leage just yet sunshine. We're gonna do you fucking proper later on :lol:

It pisses me off that now is probably the most competitive the SPL has been in for 15 years, yet all you see round Aberdeen is Chelsea tops and Liverpool tops. If these people went out and supported their local team, then the gap might get even smaller, the product would be more attractive and thus the TV revenues would shoot up and there'd be no need for Joe Bloggs from Bridge of Don to not bother going to Pittodrie because West Brom v Liverpool is on at 5.15 and he doesn't want to miss the first 10 minutes.
  • Options
    I don't see why Sky are being vilified, I really don't.

Football went wrong in 1992 when the Premier League was created. Ever since then the Football League has been unable to cope with the financial clout of the Premier League, and ever since then promoted teams have been singularly unable to cope.

Gone are the days when Aston Villa can finish second the season after promotion, and gone are the days when Leeds can win the title only two years after getting promotion. And definitely gone are the days when big clubs like Chelsea can get relegated out of the top flight.

Sky pay the fee, but it isn't Sky that have driven the money into the game. Sky pay enough to keep the live football, but they don't create the packages and they don't dictate the market price. Murdoch would rather pay half as much as he does, and don't forget it. And as for the stupid kick-off times, they're dictated by the Premier League who sold such a huge TV package to Sky.

The Premier League has destroyed English football.
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:

Not you as well...

The thing is, not everyone can actually watch the football on a Saturday.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    It pisses me off that now is probably the most competitive the SPL has been in for 15 years, yet all you see round Aberdeen is Chelsea tops and Liverpool tops.

Well that's the SPL's fault really.

If you're gonna sell your soul to pay-per-view TV, then what else do you expect?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Not you as well...

The thing is, not everyone can actually watch the football on a Saturday.

:rolleyes:

People seemed to manage 15+ years ago.

Out of interest have you ever actually been to a game?
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    :rolleyes:

People seemed to manage 15+ years ago.

Out of interest have you ever actually been to a game?

Yes. And for the record, I actually know someone who moans at the amount of games which are on a Saturday afternoon - it means he can't watch them.(whether it be or going to a game)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Yes. And for the record, I actually know someone who moans at the amount of games which are on a Saturday afternoon - it means he can't watch them.(whether it be or going to a game)

How many teams does he support? All i want to see is my team play, i dont care if it means i cant watch some random premiership game.

Maybe the increase of armchair supporters have affected the game, they are the only ones that seem to get pleased
  • Options
    Football should be played at 3pm on a Saturday and 8pm on a Tuesday. That's the only time, unless the game is really deserving of being on the telly- in which case it should be 3pm Sunday.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Thats just unlucky for him (and extremely unusual), he obviously can't support United/Livershit/Arsenal/Chelsea or he would only have reason to moan about three times a season.
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    How many teams does he support? All i want to see is my team play, i dont care if it means i cant watch some random premiership game.

Maybe the increase of armchair supporters have affected the game, they are the only ones that seem to get pleased

Why does that matter? For the record it's 4. I take that everyone who says all games should be played on a Saturday don't know any Jewish people then?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Why does that matter? For the record it's 4. I take that everyone who says all games should be played on a Saturday don't know any Jewish people then?

Yes. Whats that got to do with anything?