Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vista screenshots

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I think the cut down versions are meant for businesses who dont want to fork out for the Uber-mega-delux version.

What I hate is the fact that Windows+office+nero+firewall/AV make up over half the cost of a computer.

If we had open formats and standards that actually were successful, I could choose to buy an expensive wordprocessing program from microsoft, or use a free version.
  • Options
    mmm the costs on off the shelfs are far too high, for the cost of an off the shelf i can make a great one from aprts inc genuine windows, and then get something like open office.
  • Options
    Sorry but I don't think 1 gig of RAM is that much, it costs like 35 quid for fucks sake!
  • Options
    Sorry but I don't think 1 gig of RAM is that much, it costs like 35 quid for fucks sake!

generic 1GB costs about £50, closer to £60 for anything decent
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    there's a key difference between upgrading OS X and windows:

Each new version of windows makes your computer slower because it is more 'advanced'

Each new version of OS X makes your computer faster because they have optimised the code

Came as such as suprise the first time i upgraded my mac. i just wanted the whizzy new features, little did i know it would actually make my mac *faster* too.

Thats funny, I remember a upgrade that forced people to start using more than 512mb of ram.

I'm not sure if this is the post I was thinking of, but its what google found. A lot of the people who say OSX is fine have more than 512mb ram
    http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?threshold=5&mode=thread&commentsort=0&op=Change&sid=44368

When I was doing the research about 3 months ago, 768MB or 1GB was the conclusion I came to, so when my sister ordered an iBook, she got the extra 512MB of ram. Atleast she's covered for future upgrades and general slowness you get from installing new software that want more ram.