Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ethical dilemmas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4954856.stm

Some ethical dilemmas, which are quite interesting, albeit with a bias against the obese.

For the record I went no, yes, yes, yes which suggests you may not want to be in a cave or anywhere near a runaway tram when I'm around.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    One point: The difference between the violonist case and the pregnancy is that you never made a choice that a possible result of is being connected to the violonist.
    Whether this should make a difference in the choice is another matter; just pointing out the two moral cases are not identical.
  • Options
    I said no no no yes.
  • Options
    no yes yes no...
  • Options
    no no no yes
  • Options
    Fuck them all! :p
  • Options
    including yourself?
    ;)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I like how the voting pages DON'T work. Ace.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I like how the voting pages DON'T work. Ace.

That's BBC for ya :D
  • Options
  • Options
    One might not have done in a pregnancy either.

Precisely. Example 1 seemed analogous with being raped.

No. No. No. Maybe.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Even when people weren't raped, they didn't necessarily choose to become pregnant. Do you intend to conceive a baby every time you have sex with someone?
    ETA: On these ethical dilemmas my answers are No; Yes; Yes; Yes.

I`m not sure what point you are making. My observation was based on
    To your horror, you discover that you have been kidnapped by the Music Appreciation Society.

i.e. NO consent
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    My point is that even if you consent to sex, you don't necessarily choose to become pregnant. So in that sense you have been "kidnapped", in that your body is being taken over by another life, and you did not choose for that to happen.

I see. But maybe you would be wise to make yourself aware of the possible/probable consequences of your VOLUNTARY actions.
  • Options
    The view from the top of the fence is lovely this morning :)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The view from the top of the fence is lovely this morning :)

How`s the bottom? ;)
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    How`s the bottom? ;)
    A bit sore but that's the price one has to pay :D
  • Options
    no yes no yes
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    That's BBC for ya :D
    Shush Kermit ;p

Alladin... ffs! :lol:

No, yes, yes, yes.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I see. But maybe you would be wise to make yourself aware of the possible/probable consequences of your VOLUNTARY actions.

If you leave your house one morning with all the windows open and come home to find a burglar there, you would not think that the buglar had a right to be in your house, just because you hadn't bothered to shut the windows. I see the first example as a kind of similar thing - whatever your own voluntary actions, the other individual does not have a right to your body in the same way that you do. Just my thoughts anyway.

Interesting stuff though, we did talk about most of the examples in philosophy but not the cave one. Wish the bloody vote thing would work!
  • Options
    No, Yes, No, Yes for me!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Simply put it is easy to flip a switch to kill somebody who is no where near you, but to actually be with them, next to them, looking at them closely and touching them is a different matter to me. I can kill a guy i cant really see or have contact with but having contact with them changes the dynamic, it makes it more like "murder" and less like the "greater good"

As for the violinist, thats about been forced into it instead having a choice from been asked. If i had the choice, i might have helped, but as i had no choice, maybe it is just spite, i would leave an dlet him die.

As for Big Jack and the cave, well thats common sense, his bad luck for been a fatty and getting stuck, survival instincts kick in big time dont they, after all!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    If i was completely logical, or possibly had a God complex, i probably could kill them all or work purely on the numbers alone, but i don't like to get my hands dirty, unless my own life is at risk. I mean that question about pushing the fat man starts off with the idea you would sacrifice yourself to save 5 people, and i just wouldnt, id let the five die and not risk myself.
  • Options
    No, No, No, Yes.

In terms of runaway trolleys, I personally wouldn't sacrifice an otherwise uninvolved person to save even the lives of people in mortal danger. If it had left the question at "would you jump in front of it to stop its progress?" then I'd probably have said yes, but couldn't justify pushing some oblivious fat bloke in front of it to myself. If he wanted to jump of his own accord then that'd be his business. :p

In terms of "Big Jack", I wasn't too sure about that one. I found it difficult to answer because I know in that situation I wouldn't be stupid enough to let someone of "generous proportions" (who has a high risk of getting stuck) be the first one out. As the question stood, I probably would blast him since I know my survival instincts/self-love/panic would kick in and make me do it. ;) I assumed by roles reversed they meant if I was the one blocking the hole... I'd probably grudgingly allow them to blow my arse to high-heaven, if we were all going to die otherwise. Hard to know until you're in that situation... I'm not planning to be.

In terms of the violinist, the kidnap scenario and idea of "obligation" made me answer "no".
  • Options
    No, yes, no, yes
  • Options
    1) No.
    2) No, tough shit for playing on railway tracks.
    3) No, see number 2
    4) Yes. It is me or him.

My answers can be boiled down to indifference, selfishness and self preservation.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    1) No.
    2) No, tough shit for playing on railway tracks.
    3) No, see number 2
    4) Yes. It is me or him.

My answers can be boiled down to indifference, selfishness and self preservation.

:thumb: