Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

germany to prescribe heorin to addicts

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    Indeed. How does legalising heroin change that?
    ignoring the same reality again and again ...these people make up less than ten percent of these sad bad specimens.
    the other 90% are building your roads mainting your internet connection writting books ...working in the nhs etc etc.
    why is this truth always swept away?
    why is this reality ...so difficult to picture in your minds eye?
    how can reality have been so distorted in so many
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I

I think a lot of people assume, legality=rise in use. It doesn't necessarily mean that.
    there may well be a rise short term but the reality is ...most people ...the vast majrity will either dislike it's effects or wonder why anyone bothers.
    there are streets awash with drugs ...most people can acsess them without to much difficulty but don't bother ...it's the same withinn a houshold or family.
    i realy like my cannabis ...it serves a number of purposes in my life ...my wife doesn't smoke the stuff though ...same in most families ...families are the heart of the community ...not lawyers and policemen and officials.
  • Options
    how can reality have been so distorted in so many
    The reality of injecting into veins (independent of all the muck that comes in the dodgy street heroin) is eventually using veins that are less accessible and the consequences of that are serious and sometimes life threatening. Groin abscesses aren't pretty.
  • Options
    families are the heart of the community ...not lawyers and policemen and officials.

:thumb:

I doubt there even would be a rise. Look at the Netherlands where you can buy it in Licensed premises, cannabis users among teens there is lower than the UK and US. Plus in Prohibition era America, alcohol use rised and the Mafia ran the show. Crime everywhere.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    The reality of injecting into veins (independent of all the muck that comes in the dodgy street heroin) is eventually using veins that are less accessible and the consequences of that are serious and sometimes life threatening. Groin abscesses aren't pretty.
    which only usualy becomes a health issue if infection occurs ...even with the evil shite on the streets that fortunately doesn't happen often.
    having been a heroin addict for many years ...you cannot tell by looking at my arms.
    recently ...two weeks ago ...i had blood tests related to my back ...no problems getting the blood ...and i'n seriously healthy.
    ignorance dirt despair and law ...are usualy to blame.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Alcohol has universal appeal, heroin doesn't. Why do you think that is?

the reasons people get addicted are often all too similar, going through a really rough patch in life

im sure very few people actively get themselves psychologically addicted to these substances

often untreated depression or lack of family/friends would lead soemone to getting wasted to point of not thinknig about it, if someone who has gone through it and could confirm my idea it might be handy

and nicotine is a VERY addictive substance, just because it's legal means sod all
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Indeed. How does legalising heroin change that?

stops em commiting crimes, and the fact they'll start seeing a doctor means that if theres some underlying problem, theres a greater chance itll be treated and they can hopefully get themselves back on the straigh and narrow so to speak
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Alcohol has universal appeal, heroin doesn't. ?
    what it means is there won't ever be an explosion in it's consumption any bigger than the ones we have had thriughout history.
    most people wouldn't actualy have any need or desire to ever use the stuff ...meaning you know that changing the law won't lead to the collapse of civilisation as we know it.
    what is and has been happening under the current situation is ...law and order is falling to pieces ...a much more dangerous thing.
  • Options
    stops em commiting crimes, and the fact they'll start seeing a doctor means that if theres some underlying problem, theres a greater chance itll be treated and they can hopefully get themselves back on the straigh and narrow so to speak
    why would will self or kieth richards want to get back on the straight and narrow ...apart from sixty odd year old kieth falling out of a coconut tree the other day?
  • Options
    why would will self or kieth richards want to get back on the straight and narrow ...apart from sixty odd year old kieth falling out of a coconut tree the other day?

he's done alright for himself though.......... in a odd way

much like many manic depressives and schizos make great comics :lol:
  • Options
    he's done alright for himself though.......... in a odd way

much like many manic depressives and schizos make great comics :lol:
    more than awhite mate ...multi millionaire still writting still composing still performing still partying still laughing and holidaying still looking after his family still rockin.
    there are plenty of none drug users his age ...dead.
    plenty who are fat and nackered.
    plenty now happy pottering about the garden and going for a pub lunch on sundays.
    one day ...he'll settle down with his pipe and slippers ...and that will probably kill him.
    but for now ...he's a heroin addict ...
  • Options
    more than awhite mate ...multi millionaire still writting still composing still performing still partying still laughing and holidaying still looking after his family still rockin.
    there are plenty of none drug users his age ...dead.
    plenty who are fat and nackered.
    plenty now happy pottering about the garden and going for a pub lunch on sundays.
    one day ...he'll settle down with his pipe and slippers ...and that will probably kill him.
    but for now ...he's a heroin addict ...

Careful now, don't wanna be glamourizing drug use now! ;)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Careful now, don't wanna be glamourizing drug use now! ;)
    :) in all honesty ...which is the glamorous bit?
    his lifestyle and achievments and continuing ever onward ...though falling out of the coconut tree on friday sounds a bit serious ...or ...was the heroin being glamourised?
    i'll google 'will self' ...and see if i can get some info on him ...another long term and publicly stated heroin addict.
  • Options
    In response to the article, good news. I think the German government is developing a very responsible attitude towards addicts, though during my time there I definitely found that they take a hard line on drug abuse.

With regard to this thread generally - it's hardly realistic to use "celebrities" as examples to highlight the positives of long-term drug use. Just because they can maintain a lifestyle and support families while being addicted doesn't mean that Joe Average can simply do the same.

While it may be the case for people like Keith Richards, most people's careers aren't bolstered or sustained by drug dependency or addiction, and my own [admittedly, vicarious] experience of heroin addiction has been nothing but negative in the extreme. I would have certainly welcomed a move such as the one Germany is instigating when my loved one was trying to get clean.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    to highlight the positives of long-term drug use. .
    i wasn't.
    i was highlighting how someone with a long term heroin addiction ...in the right circumstances ...can work be creative and even succeed in life ...whilst having their addiction.
    the way the laws are written and enacted makes it near impossible for most people ...the law makes it near impossible to be a decent human being whilst having an addiction.
    slowly ...more and more places ...nations even ...are realising this.
    things are moving forward for the better.
  • Options

Divided Self:

In one of his interviews the Brit Bad Boy admits to a fondness for journalism, and hey presto! out comes this collection from Potter Publishers... sorry, Bloomsbury Press. And an eclectic and varied lot it is, consisting of Part I -- On Drugs, and Part II -- On Other Things, those things being mini-collections on Humour, Book Reviews, Features, Profiles and Conversations. All of which is interspersed with Self’s own line art cartoons. Yes, he sings, and he dances.

Part I -- On Drugs offers up 14 observances, starting with the title track, “Junk Mail”, which is a positive review of a new book on W.S. Burroughs, entitled Letters 1945-1959. “New Crack City” is an interesting piece on visiting a crack house in London. “Mushrooms Galore” is a review of Terrence McKenna’s book, Food of the Gods, about psychoactive drugs (Self likes the part about drugs being decriminalized -- he figures the rest of the book is shite) -- and “Let Us Intoxicate” is a clever little piece on the loss of ritual in drug-taking and drinking in western society, an oversight which has allowed the medical and phamaceutical professions to outlaw intoxication because they lose money when people self-medicate. Cool.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.culturecourt.com/Ajo/lit/SelfCart.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.culturecourt.com/Ajo/lit/JunkMail.htm&h=335&w=200&sz=27&tbnid=qJmBT1YFN_VLJM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=68&hl=en&start=27&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwill%2Bself%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-08,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN heres a snippet of will self ...
  • Options
    the reasons people get addicted are often all too similar, going through a really rough patch in life

in my own experiences with addiction ...most people were earning and partying and living high and dangerous.
    no one set out for addiction and few ...were heading that way becuase of past or present problems.
    many people don't turn to drugs ...they start using them.
  • Options
    in my own experiences with addiction ...most people were earning and partying and living high and dangerous.
    no one set out for addiction and few ...were heading that way becuase of past or present problems.
    many people don't turn to drugs ...they start using them.

im talking about addicts who need it

not the partying sort who, though i thought that was often the realm of coke use?
  • Options
    im talking about addicts who need it

not the partying sort who, though i thought that was often the realm of coke use?
    i didn't go to the party as an addict ...but i did go to too many parties.
  • Options
    for those who doubt legalisation could be a good way forward ...
    what are the 90% of drug users doing right now who never have problems with their using?
  • Options
    i didn't go to the party as an addict ...but i did go to too many parties.

havent we all, :thumb:
  • Options
    A few weeks ago, I said I was going to keep quiet about the issue of drugs for a little while so I could educate myself on the subject. I bet you're all worried what I'm going to say now, aren't you? Well, you need not be. My opinions of drugs like heroin and cocaine have not changed significantly, but my views on drugs laws have. I do have reservations about an idea such as this, but I believe it is better than the approach we have here where heroin addicts are effectively left to fester. I will be watching this one with interest.