Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

germany to prescribe heorin to addicts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/01052006/80-132/germany-planning-heroin-therapy-addicts.html

good stuff :thumb: it's dirt cheap to make btw so its of no real cost

this country does do this, but getting a special license from the home office is an utter nightmare, and methodone is a pile of shit imo for treating addicts

Comments

• Options
    :) whilst I can see a whole range of negative impacts this is going to clear up, how do you get a heroin addict to 'clean up' so to speak? Reduce the quanitity over time? Just that (from my limited knowledge) its so addictive even small amounts can further the addiction...

But as long as its not a double edged sword, yay!
  • Options
    :) whilst I can see a whole range of negative impacts this is going to clear up, how do you get a heroin addict to 'clean up' so to speak? Reduce the quanitity over time? Just that (from my limited knowledge) its so addictive even small amounts can further the addiction...

But as long as its not a double edged sword, yay!

very slowly reducing the amount of heroin in the solution would work, much in the way of nicotine patches

if you can get nicotine patches, why cant you work your way off heorin in the same way?
  • Options
    very slowly reducing the amount of heroin in the solution would work, much in the way of nicotine patches

if you can get nicotine patches, why cant you work your way off heorin in the same way?

Suppose so. It just seems too good to be true, why didn't they do this earlier?

Ah here's a question: where are they going to get the heroin from? :p
  • Options
    Suppose so. It just seems too good to be true, why didn't they do this earlier?

Ah here's a question: where are they going to get the heroin from? :p

heroin = diamorphine, hospitals have it by the buck loads, and it's piss easy to make as well from morphine........ the active ingredient in vinegar, in 1:1 ration with morphine heated up in presence of small amount of powerful acid, with water cooling to stop any vapour escaping

purify and you're done, would be crude compared to what hospitals have, but it is easy

and no i didn't just break the law :lol:
  • Options

But is heroin legal? :confused:
  • Options
    Wont making Heroin a prescription drug for addicts eventually lead to higher prices though as the Government tries to make money from it? At first it will be, lets help, but later, as most governments do, it will become, ok, lets make money!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Wont making Heroin a prescription drug for addicts eventually lead to higher prices though as the Government tries to make money from it? At first it will be, lets help, but later, as most governments do, it will become, ok, lets make money!

This is a fair point.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    But is heroin legal? :confused:

heroin shouldn't of been made illegal in the 1st place and should stayed as every other prescription drug.....

and you want deny these people help?
  • Options
    heroin shouldn't of been made illegal in the 1st place and should stayed as every other prescription drug.....
    Heroin didn't start out as a prescription drug, of course.
    and you want deny these people help?
    Why do people start taking heroin?
  • Options
    I just realised how well the propaganda machine works.

Diamorphine, co-codomal, etc. etc. all 'techy' sounding drugs that people tend to think doctors dabble with and lets leave it to them.

Heroin, crack, speed just from the names instantly to me become dodgy back street black market drugs that can and will only do damage.

Its not the names itself, its the way I (and i suspect others) have been conditioned to read them.
  • Options

Diamorphine, co-codomal, etc. etc. all 'techy' sounding drugs that people tend to think doctors dabble with and lets leave it to them.

Heroin, crack, speed just from the names instantly to me become dodgy back street black market drugs that can and will only do damage.

Its not the names itself, its the way I (and i suspect others) have been conditioned to read them.

now you see part of the mythical nature of these things

heroin was 'invented' to treat morphine addiction, which was in turn created to treat opiate addiction

now what do you think of methodone?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I doubt it. Seeing as the drug trafficking trade increases the prices of such drugs by 20, 30, even 40-fold, the government could make a very handsome profit indeed without even having to reach current street prices.
  • Options
    [
  • Options

codiene morphine heroin are all products of the poppy which has been used for thoudans of years as a medicine and for pleasure.
    britain has mostly controlled the worlds poppy production for three hundred years ...and just happens to be killing people in the biggest poppy field in the world again ...and whenever WHENEVER ...WE ARE THERE ...PRODUCTION ROCKETS AND PRICES TUMBLE ...AND THE Aopps caps americans these days ...just coincidence of course.

why do people take these things kentish?

well to answer that question you would realy have to have a deep understanding of the last six thousand years of documented use realy.

why people think that somehow it shouldn't exist now we are modern is a bit beyond me

why does the question ...'but how do we get them off?' ....always manage to come up early in the discussion when it isn't realy relevant?
    most people with a clean and steady supply would me more than happy to have a habbit for a few more years yet ...and maybe a few more after that.
    and a clean steady supplt would mean they could then focus their energies into getting on with their lives ...instead of forever running.
  • Options

Heroin doesn't exactly work like that.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Why do people start taking heroin?

Why do people start drinking?

It's a good move, you can't deny there will be heroin addicts in any country, it's safer to just give them clean heroin and it also prevents crime.
  • Options
    Drugs prices, illegal one i mean, are at an all time low. They have never been so cheap, based on inflation and exchange rates and so forth. So, the drugs trafickers are keeping prices down to increase demand but continueing to make a profit that settles them. Governments and pharmaceutical companies tend to increase prices, not keep them cheap.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

It's a good move, you can't deny there will be heroin addicts in any country, it's safer to just give them clean heroin and it also prevents crime.
    starting off prescribing it should be a move towards selling it.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Alcohol has universal appeal, heroin doesn't. Why do you think that is?
  • Options
    why would anyone want to become a user of herion? whats the appeal of making yourself impotent and causing your dick to shrink up to a fraction of its full size?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Drugs prices, illegal one i mean, are at an all time low. They have never been so cheap, based on inflation and exchange rates and so forth. So, the drugs trafickers are keeping prices down to increase demand but continueing to make a profit that settles them. pharmaceutical .
    demand has been pretty steady for years.
  • Options
    And prices remain lower then ever...its good business by the dealers and suppliers.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    And prices remain lower then ever...its good business by the dealers and suppliers.
    the business is probably the biggest hard cash no tax business in the world.
    because of the way the laws are written policing these matters ...don't you find that a strange set of laws?
  • Options
    I do indeed.

There is a cafe in the Leeds market, the owner bought it for £90k in ten pound notes cash and he never ever serves a person in it. The whoel thing is a front for money laundering drugs cash and yet no one even attempts to investigate him, least of all the Market council who make nearly double rent out of him.

Isnt the establishment and people of power a great set of people! (sarcasm implied)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Alcohol has universal appeal, heroin doesn't. Why do you think that is?

What makes it universal.

I see some alcoholics on the street at night begging for money and it's anything but appealing. Just like some smacked out junky in a derelict house is unappealing.

There are some heroin users who like to dabble now and again and lead perfectly normal lives. There are people who enjoy a drink or two from time to time. There are extremes on both sides. It's down to the person, some people have addictive personalities. The reason why most junky addicts turn out like that is because of poverty, because they have nothing going for them, that's why they turn to the heroin and other drugs, they like and try again. Then they're fucked.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    The reason why most junky addicts turn out like that is because of poverty, because they have nothing going for them, that's why they turn to the heroin and other drugs, they like and try again. Then they're fucked.
    Indeed. How does legalising heroin change that?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What makes it universal.

I see some alcoholics on the street at night begging for money and it's anything but appealing. Just like some smacked out junky in a derelict house is unappealing.

There are some heroin users who like to dabble now and again and lead perfectly normal lives. There are people who enjoy a drink or two from time to time. There are extremes on both sides. It's down to the person, some people have addictive personalities. The reason why most junky addicts turn out like that is because of poverty, because they have nothing going for them, that's why they turn to the heroin and other drugs, they like and try again. Then they're fucked.
    it's not realy that simple.
    if everyone on your street used heroin everyday for a week ...how many of them at the end of such an experiment do you think would want to continue using it?
    few and probably none would be my guess.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Indeed. How does legalising heroin change that?

It doesn't, it just means they're getting clean stuff and money isn't given to the hands of ganster drug lords.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    It doesn't, it just means they're getting clean stuff and money isn't given to the hands of ganster drug lords.
    Fine yeah. If that's all you want to change.
  • Options
    it's not realy that simple.
    if everyone on your street used heroin everyday for a week ...how many of them at the end of such an experiment do you think would want to continue using it?
    few and probably none would be my guess.

I know, you need to take it everyday for a few weeks for it to become physically addictive. Plus many don't like it on their first go.

I think a lot of people assume, legality=rise in use. It doesn't necessarily mean that.