Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Microsoft Brand Pirated OS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As of yesterday M$ force an update which allows them to see if you are running a legitimate version of Windows. If you aren't - you are branded with images on the login screen as a "hacked" copy and are subjected to popups and "nags" to "resolve the issue" and buy the OS.

Thought I'd share.

Comments

• Options
    Just need to block Windows Update and problem solved... thanks for sharing...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Oops... should I avoid booting windows then? Or at least turn off my router before I do?
  • Options
    Just need to block Windows Update and problem solved... thanks for sharing...
    Explain please...
  • Options
    Right click on the icon "My Computer" on your desktop, in new window click the "automatic update" tab and select option "Turn off Automatic Updates" ... should do the trick or do like me block every microsoft services, components ad software with your firewall, that way your system never communicate with them...
  • Options
    I might have already disabled that, I'll see. Also good idea about the firewall, I'll try. Thanks.
  • Options
    A good firewall is Agnitum Outpost Firewall, since i tried this one I never used an other one and nothing get throught...
  • Options
    Won't the firewall in my router do?
  • Options
    And if you want your system patched then use http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html
  • Options
    Won't the firewall in my router do?

got a firewall in my router too, but my firewall on my system still stop plenty of shit
  • Options
    http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=32972

If this is what you're on about...
  • Options
    this only happens if you have automatic updates turned on and are running a pirated copy of XP
  • Options
    This is a bit annoying. I've got 3 licences in my house but can never be bothered getting each individual one and validating, so just use one cd where you just type a key in and it works.

Oh well. Linux soon :)
  • Options
    yeh i noticed when the updates were asking to be installed, its the first one that juped out at me and was the only one i didnt install ;)
    dont know if it installed itself, i imagine it didnt, i asked it not to and i havnt seen anything about it yet.
  • Options
    WGA Notifier (I think that's what it's called) is only optional afaik. I only ever do custom updates anyway and can uncheck the ones I don't want.
  • Options
    Ok, someone tell me in idiots terms what I need to tell my Dad about this to stop it doing things, considering hes a complete technophobe. Not that we have pirated software or anything *shifty glances*
  • Options
    Control Panel, Security Center, Automatic Updates, Turn them off...
  • Options
    the whole of north wales runs on pirated xp!
  • Options
    or just buy it...
  • Options
    How amusing. Half the people who turn off updates will be the first to moan when their system is exploited.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    How amusing. Half the people who turn off updates will be the first to moan when their system is exploited.

Well I dont beleive that, since most people who turn off aut update know what they are doing and so are usually security concsious anyway
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    Well I dont beleive that, since most people who turn off aut update know what they are doing and so are usually security concsious anyway

Yeah, so they are the first to moan about microsoft being so insecure. ho-hum.

Anyway I'm not sure that this thread is enitrely accurate. From reading the info in the windows geniunue thingy download, it only produces nags from the start bar, which can be turned off anyway. Hardly a big price to pay for stealing the software in the first place.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Hardly a big price to pay for stealing the software in the first place.

Indeed. I can't see why people moan like they do - if you like Windows, buy it. Or, use a pirate copy and live with reduced update capability. Or, move to a free OS.
  • Options
    Will it still install itself if you have your update settings are set to "notify me but do not automaticly download updates"
  • Options
    if you turn off windows update, you will get a little annoying icon on the system tray warning you about it.

Best thing to do is to fireup windows update using internet explorer, and select the update (its KB905474 i think), and click the "little hide this update" button.

Problem solved, for a while. Microsoft say they will make is mandatory soon. Porbably just before Vista comes out, to milk it for all its worth.
  • Options
    Windows costs so much, what a rip off! How can the OS cost more than a HDD?! Grrr.
  • Options
    Sidtec wrote:
    I only ever do custom updates anyway and can uncheck the ones I don't want.

Same here, i unchecked it, is said it would check ALL software not just windows. My windows is legit though.
  • Options
    Windows costs so much, what a rip off! How can the OS cost more than a HDD?! Grrr.

It doesn't. But if you choose to use Windows, then you have to pay for the 'privilege' :).

Windows may be a rip-off, and it may be a lesser OS than the competition in my opinion, but you're pretty stuffed without it. A computer is useless without an OS.
  • Options
    It doesn't. But if you choose to use Windows, then you have to pay for the 'privilege' :).

Windows may be a rip-off, and it may be a lesser OS than the competition in my opinion, but you're pretty stuffed without it. A computer is useless without an OS.

Well I use a linux distro but I have to use windows for one of my uni modules ( Because we are using MFC and although VC++ works under wine it doesnt work well enough! Plus MFC is kinda not used as much as it used to be so learning it is just gah), i dont choose to use windows but I HAVE too! So why should I ahve to pay for the 'privilege' (Although i'm not saying that I dont pay for my copy just why should I have to?)

anyway ima step out of this thread now since i'm going off on a tangent!
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    i dont choose to use windows but I HAVE too! So why should I ahve to pay for the 'privilege' (Although i'm not saying that I dont pay for my copy just why should I have to?)

No. You HAVE to breathe and eat. You CHOSE to go to university, and you CHOSE a course that required you to use Windows. :)

I was in the same boat - we had to use Access for out databases. I argued with my lecturer until I was blue in the face...
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    I have to use windows for one of my uni modules

Doesn't the university already have computers with licenced versions of Windows?