Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The emo subculture...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    beans wrote:
    What i want to know is what happened to gemo, we don't hear nearly enough about it any more ;(

Ohhh what is a gemo?

So is the pink shirts on males a emo thing? All the emos seem to be wearing it, or is it just a blind mans thing with a freaky coincidence?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Turlough, I am still kinda interested in what you mean by 'a "chav" knows who he is, and he knows where his place is' ... what do you mean by that?

It's all about knowing your community, knowing who your family is and your economic background.
  • Options
    I'm quite informed on my own community, my family and I know my economic background also. As I'm sure most people do. Am I a chav too then? Is anybody who knows such simple obvious information a chav? Or do you have to add into it the inteligent witty combacks of stick a dildo in your ear and then you can raise up to chav status.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Ohhh what is a gemo?

How can you not know ;O Your obviously off the gemo cool list :p

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76345&highlight=gemo

:thumb:
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    How can you not know ;O Your obviously off the gemo cool list :p

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76345&highlight=gemo

Oh now I feel so bad :( Please let me back on the list! <3
  • Options
    Am i emo?

I wear converse and hair my hair swept to one side sometimes covering my face :eek:

Ohhh oh oh wait a minute. I dont wear skinny jeans i cant be. Or aviators.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    It's all about knowing your community, knowing who your family is and your economic background.

Um .. you see, this is where I get confused ... I'm a good working class boy as are my family and most of my friends; I am rarely in trouble with the law; I have aspirations to be successful in my career etc ... and I feel that I DO know my community, family and economic background ... but I am pretty sure that noone would would ever describe me as a Chav. Are you not getting 'working class' mixed up with the term 'Chav'? And if you are a Chav, what do you think makes you one? (I'm not being facetious or anything - I am genuinely interested) ;)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Am i emo?

I wear converse and hair my hair swept to one side sometimes covering my face :eek:

Ohhh oh oh wait a minute. I dont wear skinny jeans i cant be. Or aviators.

Maybe your an emo wannabe :cool: :p
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    :lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ffffft, let's summarise it.

Who care show you look? As long as you ain't a dick, long live you.

If you are a dick. Meh, fuck off.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    emo's are harmless, like goths :)

stereotypical chavs are trouble making yobs from low socio-economic households

Plenty of goths are just as bad as "chavs". There's little distinction for a lot of them, dress sense aside.
  • Options
    I really want to meet a chavvy goth - I never have yet in all my 28 years - most of the ones i've met have been very firmly middle class.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Who care show you look? .

Unless your a nudist in a non nudist area. :yes: :p
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Plenty of goths are just as bad as "chavs". There's little distinction for a lot of them, dress sense aside.
    :yes: You get pricks from all groups alike.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I really want to meet a chavvy goth - I never have yet in all my 28 years - most of the ones i've met have been very firmly middle class.

It could be age-related perception. Years ago that was largely true, nowadays goths are a pretty mixed bunch. Hence the tabloid hysteria over hooded goons laying waste to the nation.
  • Options
    so chavs know their background etc and goths/emos whatever don't?
    wtf? :confused:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    so chavs know their background etc and goths/emos whatever don't?
    wtf? :confused:

Yes basically. Goths and emos incorporate this psuedo-american look into their image, they don't care where they're from, little sense of community...probably don't even care much for their parents or other relatives. Sure not all of them are like that but most are.
  • Options
    It's always intrested me that Goth's and Emo's very rarely continue to dress like they do beyond their 20's where as what many people here would consider a 'chav' come in all ages.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It's always intrested me that Goth's and Emo's very rarely continue to dress like they do beyond their 20's where as what many people here would consider a 'chav' come in all ages.

Thats because most people grow out of it.

Alt of the school era "chavs" become normal office worker type folk and stop. Some stay like it.

Most emo/goths either become the same, very few continue to dress that way.

Rockers just stay the same forever mostly, there are still quite a few about, which is pleasing.

How did the wrod "chav" become a term for anti-social yobs, by the way? It is amsuing... rock and roll was destroying the youth, then punk, video games, now it is "chav" culture.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

Yup.

There's a load of people who still listen to the rock/emo music in their 30's and beyond, but most grow out of the whole snobby thing and stop trying to act up to the whole "I heard this band before you did" shit that teenage emo's and the like tend to have.

It's a phase, or a psychological need.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    How did the wrod "chav" become a term for anti-social yobs, by the way?

It's a gypsy word. I remember the word Gypo's used to be used in a similar way - used to desribe council house kids who clearly wern't actually gypsies.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yes basically. Goths and emos incorporate this psuedo-american look into their image, they don't care where they're from, little sense of community...probably don't even care much for their parents or other relatives. Sure not all of them are like that but most are.

One could say the same for Chavs though, as you are generalising. Yes, some Chavs may have conscientious social awareness and care for their family (you?) but many don't.
  • Options
    Are there poser emo's then too?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Are there poser emo's then too?

Lol - I am sure there are ... :)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    theres people like that in all subcultures, don't just point the finger at goths, its not about the group but the idividual