Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dream troubles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi guys, i need a little advise or link i can pass on to my girlfriend.

For the past 3months shes been having really bad dreams, of which she remembers in detail. Its now really really getting to her, to the point she said she doesn't want to goto sleep.

She moved to the area about the same time as the dreams started, moving from her mums house into her nan's house. I suggested that it might be that shes still getting used to the whole moving from home. But she doesn't think so as she's happy now than for a long time, more freedom, good job, and i quote "fantasic boyfriend" :D

From what shes told me, alot of the dreams involue her or a family member dieing, being hanged, beheaded, nailed to a cross. Or they have her on her knees crying with me turning my back on her and walking away (which isn't ever going to happen, been with her for 2weeks and i love her).

Anything anyone can suggest is welcome

Comments

• Options
    Maybe she just felt like she is the one leaving her family behind and felt a bit of guilt deep down... It should probably pass with time... weird can be really strange... does those dreams affect her a lot?
  • Options
    from what she said about leaving home, it was something she had to do as her mum was putting her down, and didn't get on with her step-dad. She miss's her friends and her 13yr sister, but most of her family are around portsmouth. She also said something about she has strange feeling about her nans house (not a nice one either)
    Yeah the dreams are really effecting her, she doesn't want to sleep, and when she does she's jumping out of her skin everytime. She fell asleep on my lap yesterday, and was trying to fight someone/thing off, and crying out in pain and tell the person/thing to leave her alone.
    We talked alittle about it but she says that she keeps alot of her feeling abd stuff buried, as shes never had anyone she can talk to about them. I'm the only persons she's ever felt safe to talk to. I'm hoping its just that she still settling into her new life.
  • Options
    She might have some unresolved issues with some of her familly member and the moving away might have bring back those issues in her min... at least when she is sleeping... dreams are really not easy to understand tho... she might have been hurt or at least have her feelings hurt as a child, maybe she doesn't remember, maybe she does't want to remember, but the memories are still there... maybe something happended in her nans house ad the memory is trying to make her remember through her dreams... maybe she has been abuse in tis house, not saying physical but maybe mentally... someone left her and break her trust in tha person which could explan why she dream of you leaving her behind...

Btw all of that are just some theories of mine... no saying it is that at all... just trying to find what it might be... or what might be worth looking into...
  • Options
    could be. from what shes said about the house, she thinks its haunted, but only has good memories from visiting her nan there. but as you said dream can do funny things and mean almost anything
  • Options
    the family members dying could be symbolic of entering a new phase in her life. You leaving her could just be fear of it all going wrong - real fear.
  • Options
    I have view vidoes somewhere about the power of nightmares, never watch them tho and I know you can find info on the web that might help getting the meaning of tose dreams... also not sure it is really accurate, but might be worth looking into... Here is one --> Dream Dictionary <-- have no idea what it is worth tho...
  • Options
    cheers, i'll show her the site later tonight when shes over. hopefully it might help her
  • Options
    sound like nightscares
  • Options
    yeah they are nightmares from what she's said, but she's very spirtal (i would say religious but not in the scene of the Church, Jesus, God, or any of the others), so she looks for meanings behind them.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    yeah they are nightmares from what she's said, but she's very spirtal (i would say religious but not in the scene of the Church, Jesus, God, or any of the others), so she looks for meanings behind them.
    if she looks too far into it she'll probably make herself worse
  • Options
    Yeah, i'm worried about this too. We saw each other again for a few hours last night, but then she had to go home (she says she sleeps better when round mine) as up early for work.

Got a phone call from her about an 1hour ago while she was on her lunch break. She wants a long talk, she said it wasn't anything bad (but she did ask if i still wanted to be with her. Which i do, more than anything in the world).

I think that she thinks that the dreams might be telling her something about our relationship. As she said if that i still did want to be with her, then she needed to talk and get to the bottom of these dream.

Sorry this is turning into more of a relationships thread now. so might move it over there.
  • Options
    i av the exact same types of dreams, kinda understand completly wat shes goin through. i dream of horrible things hapnin to my family,particularly my father. these dreams haunted me through th day as wel as nite, i kept thinkin somethin was gona hurt me n my family.
  • Options
    You said she's quite spiritual?
    Putting rosemary under your pillow is suposed to help stop bad dreams also you could buy her a dream catcher or worry dolls (little dolls that you tell your worries to before you go to sleep then put them under you pillow and in the morning your worries are gone).
    It probably won't stop the dreams but it might help if she believes it.

Other than talking things through and finding out what's causing the worries or feelings that are feeding these dreams I don't know what else to suggest.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
  • Options
    I thought about maybe buying her a dream catcher for her house and one for mine. Going to talk to her tonight if we're both not tried after i finish evening class at college. If so we'll talk tomorrow night, when she comes over.