Home Home, Law & Money
Take part in our next Watch Club on 2nd Feb at 7.30pm. We'll be talking about the film In the Heights! Sign up to take part and receive your free NOW pass!
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here

Been screwed over, claiming it back?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Earlier today I got a text from a premium charge number, one of those stupid quiz things. I did nothing to ask for it - no web browsing or giving my number out - and I got charged £1.50.

Sent a text saying STOP, and got another text back - "You have now ended the quiz. Thankyou for playing." Cost me another £1.50. :mad:

Bearing in mind I told them to stop, isn't that illegal? And how can I get my £3 back? I know there's somewhere to report them too, but I can't remember the name or anything.

I've had this problem once before and cancelled both thingys, but that was late last year and I really have no idea why I got the message earlier. :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Who sent it to you?

What I would do, is find out the company, then the director / CEO, then go to his house and take £3's worth of things :razz:. And some to cover travelling expenses.
    contact Ofcom and Icstis
    I'd also say that if you're on a contract, deduct the money from the bill and don't pay that £3.

There is a test case at the moment which will decide whether phone companies are actually allowed to charge for obviously fraudulent calls- guess who I hope wins?
    I recently acquired a new phone on contract from a OneTel deal, purely as a phone that would allow me to ring home for free - fine until we realised that the previous owner of a number had signed up for an SMS.ac type service that resulted in massive charges for texts I didn't even want... I contacted OneTel and after a lengthy argument (they accused me of signing up myself) they admitted defeat, waived the charges and changed my number for me... I would think that most companies, after speaking to someone senior, would eventually come round.