Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Been screwed over, claiming it back?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Earlier today I got a text from a premium charge number, one of those stupid quiz things. I did nothing to ask for it - no web browsing or giving my number out - and I got charged £1.50.

Sent a text saying STOP, and got another text back - "You have now ended the quiz. Thankyou for playing." Cost me another £1.50. :mad:

Bearing in mind I told them to stop, isn't that illegal? And how can I get my £3 back? I know there's somewhere to report them too, but I can't remember the name or anything.

I've had this problem once before and cancelled both thingys, but that was late last year and I really have no idea why I got the message earlier. :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Who sent it to you?

What I would do, is find out the company, then the director / CEO, then go to his house and take £3's worth of things :razz:. And some to cover travelling expenses.
    contact Ofcom and Icstis
    I'd also say that if you're on a contract, deduct the money from the bill and don't pay that £3.

There is a test case at the moment which will decide whether phone companies are actually allowed to charge for obviously fraudulent calls- guess who I hope wins?
    I recently acquired a new phone on contract from a OneTel deal, purely as a phone that would allow me to ring home for free - fine until we realised that the previous owner of a number had signed up for an SMS.ac type service that resulted in massive charges for texts I didn't even want... I contacted OneTel and after a lengthy argument (they accused me of signing up myself) they admitted defeat, waived the charges and changed my number for me... I would think that most companies, after speaking to someone senior, would eventually come round.