Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Littering

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So everybody knows its gross and wrong to throw your mcdonalds wrapper or pop can on the ground, so what is it about cigarettes that makes it alright? I got hit in the windsheild driving home becasue some trashy retard decided to throw a butt out of their sunroof. I know theres laws regarding that but that doesn't stop anybody. Whats so difficult about using the tray in your car and waiting till you stop by a garbage can to throw it out. And if you dont have an ash tray in your car, well you know if you smoke or not. Its not going to be a shock, oh my gosh, I just randomly lit up a cigarette and my cars ashtray is broke. so get one in there :\

Comments

• Options
    Even though i don't smoke, it doesn't bother me too much so long as it ain't intentional. I dunno, a cotton and paper cigarette end isn't gonna bother me as much as someone keying the side of my car or something.
  • Options
    i throw fags out the window all the time,cos i don't wanna stink the car out....oh,i failed again btw.

started smoking again.

i'll crack it in the end i'm sure of it!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    There is a poster campaign in Sheffield regarding this at the moment. Cigarette butts are litter too.
  • Options
    Do you know how dangerous throwing a fag butt out the window is? All it takes is for someone to have a little leak they don't know about and boom they are dead.
    It does my nut in when people throw them out the window.
    I didn't do it when i smoked for the reason above.
  • Options
    Ok, cars fair enough...

But what are you supposed to do while walking down the street with a lit ciggaret butt? You cant throw it in the bin... it could catch fire!
    I suppose you could tred on it, then throw it in the bin once its out... but no one is going to bother doing that...
    Plus its still unsafe because some idiot isnt going to put it out properly!
  • Options
    If I smoke cigarette whe outdoor I always keep the filter in my pocket whe I am done and keep it until I find a bin to put it in... It doesn't require much effort and specially cigarette that use filters, not paper filters, they will take ages before they can actually degrade properly...
  • Options
    I hate it! I ride a scooter and I have had to dodge fag ends sailing through the air a few times. Some people are just so inconsiderate. The kid's playground is covered in fag ends.

If only all the trampy dirty people who spit/litter all went to live in one city together and the rest of us could enjoy living somewhere nice, with cheaper taxes as we wouldn't need to pay for litter wardens/so much street cleaning.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Ok, cars fair enough...

But what are you supposed to do while walking down the street with a lit ciggaret butt? You cant throw it in the bin... it could catch fire!
    I suppose you could tred on it, then throw it in the bin once its out... but no one is going to bother doing that...
    Plus its still unsafe because some idiot isnt going to put it out properly!

Do they not have bins with bits in which to put your cigarette where you are?
  • Options

imo the floor or the bottom of your shoe usually does the trick quite nicely... you can get a fine in this country now for throwing cigarette butt on the floor anyway... so doesn't take much to put it in the bin and can save you from getting a fine too...
  • Options
    Heh, my flatmate bought me a stubbi a few months ago. My personal, portable ashtray... it's very cute, though rare that I remember to bring it anywhere with me.

I don't think it's that big a deal. But a selfish smoker such as I would say that. ;)
  • Options

Very few and far between...
    I do agree.. its not nice seeing hundreds of fag butts all over the floor, but sometimes its impossible to avoid...

When It comes to cars though, I agree about putting it in the ash trays.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Do you know how dangerous throwing a fag butt out the window is? All it takes is for someone to have a little leak they don't know about and boom they are dead.

What was scary was when a) one of my friends and b) my mechanic both started smoking round my motorbike, spilling ash onto it, in fact when my friend did it, the red-hot ash actually sat in the little dip in the gas tank for the lid! (i.e. where the petrol goes in)

Just had mental images of me dying, painfully. :(
  • Options
    What was scary was when a) one of my friends and b) my mechanic both started smoking round my motorbike, spilling ash onto it, in fact when my friend did it, the red-hot ash actually sat in the little dip in the gas tank for the lid! (i.e. where the petrol goes in)

Just had mental images of me dying, painfully. :(

Some people just have no fear or sense.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Some people just have no fear or sense.

My mum fell asleep whilst smoking the other day.. her bed sheets have a burn about the size of a 2p now. Yet, she still smokes in bed. :no:
  • Options
    scary.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

Fags arnt hot enough to set petrol on fire.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    Fags arnt hot enough to set petrol on fire.

Sure they are.
  • Options
    They aren't. Film myth.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    They aren't. Film myth.

and oil?
  • Options
    Dunno havn't tried oil haha. I doubt it though petrols a hell of alot more volatile.
  • Options
    Well either way its still stupid. For instance people have open tops, or it could land somewhere else like on hay etc.
    People who smoke should keep thier fags in an ashtray, if they don't have one they should get one.
  • Options
    http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae1.cfm
    So for all of you smokers out there that are wondering why you are not allowed to smoke at gas pump stations, these are the real scientific reasons. It is dangerous and science is telling us that the temperature of the cigarette, given the appropriate conditions, is enough to cause gasoline to autoignite (and in case of the gas pump station this would be disastrous.)

apparently :chin:

my mum got rid of her ash out of the window of our car whilst we were driving once, came in through the back window and landed on my brother :p that was quite funny (for me, he was a bit pissed :/)
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

aye thats really likely, happens all the time!

and if its not gonna light petrol it sure as fuck isnt gonna light oil

(not that i smoke or throw stuff out car windows or care about any of it)
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    aye thats really likely, happens all the time!

and if its not gonna light petrol it sure as fuck isnt gonna light oil

(not that i smoke or throw stuff out car windows or care about any of it)

Likely or not its still possible and personally i wouldn't take that risk.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Likely or not its still possible and personally i wouldn't take that risk.
    the mathematical odds of that happening must be astounding!
  • Options
    birds will eat butts too :(
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Mad Mac wrote:
    the mathematical odds of that happening must be astounding!

Doesn't really matter though as it is a horrible and inconsiderate thing to do anyway.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    birds will eat butts too :(

i've never seen a bird with a fag in its gob,apart from when i go round town. :D
  • Options
    Doesn't really matter though as it is a horrible and inconsiderate thing to do anyway.
    point taken,i'll stop doing it. :yes:
  • Options
    Mad Mac wrote:
    i've never seen a bird with a fag in its gob,apart from when i go round town. :D
    and i never presonally saw the second world war........