Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Names

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There are a few fairly common names around, but I just realized that there were some uncreative people way back when. I'm doing a spreadsheet and just boring my life away entering names of people in nursing homes for their insurance...

Every woman is named either dorothy, violet or delores with a gertrude thrown in every once in a while for shits and giggles and i've done over 400
The men at least had a large variety of names.

I just realized benjamin is ben jamin

I wonder how names change over generations (or in this case centuries) Why ishn't the world filled with stanley's and dorothys

Comments

• Options
    Because Judy Garland corrupted the name Dorothy. That red slippered shlaag :p
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Because Judy Garland corrupted the name Dorothy. That red slippered shlaag :p

Oh that dorothy did not even cross my mind!
  • Options
    Would you really call your son Stanley or your daughter Dorothy?
  • Options
    I think it is fancinating how societies perceptions about names change, there's no real reason for it...... :chin:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Would you really call your son Stanley or your daughter Dorothy?

But why? Why would you refuse to call them that, oh the curiousity.
  • Options
    Dorothy's on my list of potentials if I have a daughter, and I think Stanley/Stan's quite nice too. Just for the record..

These names will be back "in" in a few years, you'll see! You live long enough and everything comes back around again. ;)
  • Options
    My name seems to be fairly timeless. It's never been ridiculously popular but never totally gone away.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    My name seems to be fairly timeless. It's never been ridiculously popular but never totally gone away.

Well then? What is it... the suspense is killing me.. :p
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Well then? What is it... the suspense is killing me.. :p

Ahh crap, I forgot to say!

It's Andrew/Andy. I go by either. Because I'm greedy when it comes to names.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Ahh crap, I forgot to say!

It's Andrew/Andy. I go by either. Because I'm greedy when it comes to names.

Is that so that if someone says one to much and wears it out you have a spare one???
  • Options
    Sharry21 wrote:
    Is that so that if someone says one to much and wears it out you have a spare one???

Yup. And I also have 'Drew' in case of naming emergencies.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:

:lol: :thumb: :D:lol:

Is that not a bit greedy??
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Dorothy's on my list of potentials if I have a daughter, and I think Stanley/Stan's quite nice too. Just for the record..

These names will be back "in" in a few years, you'll see! You live long enough and everything comes back around again. ;)
    That's my plan - Rosa and Violet are top of my list at the moment. Names go in cycles, when my sister was born she was the only Alice in the village (hehe) under the age of about 70, the year later there were about 5 girls named Alice and it's kept on growing since.
  • Options
    I'm going to give my children really unusual names so they can suffer the same torture i did looking through all the keyrings with names on and them never having yours.. :crying: I like the name Amber at the minute though..
  • Options
    I love names which are uncommon, or foreign. I hate my name as its so plain, and common (Laura)
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    I'm going to give my children really unusual names so they can suffer the same torture i did looking through all the keyrings with names on and them never having yours.. :crying: I like the name Amber at the minute though..

lol you sound just like the boyfriend (edmund) he always gets a little sad when we pass by a stand with named keychains :p
  • Options
    Another name that will fade out is Percy. There used to be an old guy in my road called Percy until he died. Maybe now they're extinct!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    lol you sound just like the boyfriend (edmund) he always gets a little sad when we pass by a stand with named keychains :p
    They do one now that says 'They didn't have my name' :p
  • Options
    Edmund, Percy..... any takers for Baldrick? :p
  • Options
    Heh, you should call your next one that ;)
  • Options
    Imagine a baby Barry... :lol:
  • Options
    Heh, you should call your next one that ;)

Next one?! :no:
  • Options
    Get a hamster then :p
  • Options
    __tink wrote:
    Imagine a baby Barry... :lol:

:lol:

Oh, that made me laugh more than it should. File it under babies called Trevor, Nigel and Romulux the destroyer of galaxies.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Cazzoo wrote:
    My name is very common over here, but it's very easy to find a place where you can spell any name (or word) on a keychain, with cubic beads.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:

one of my grandma's brothers was called stan, and whenever we have a conversation about nice baby names, she tries to slip it in. along with mary (a million people in her family) and william (my grandad). she's a crafty lass.

we have quite a strong tradition of family names in my family, so my wee ones will probably end up being named after an uncle or a great aunt or a great grandparent or something. my great grandma was called elsie. reckon there's much chance of a comeback?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    one of my grandma's brothers was called stan, and whenever we have a conversation about nice baby names, she tries to slip it in. along with mary (a million people in her family) and william (my grandad). she's a crafty lass.

we have quite a strong tradition of family names in my family, so my wee ones will probably end up being named after an uncle or a great aunt or a great grandparent or something. my great grandma was called elsie. reckon there's much chance of a comeback?

Ahh, baby naming pressure kicking in already. In some families I know, choosing the right name is like a carefully planned political manoeuvre. I I suppose anyone with sense would want to curry the favour of the richest rellies who just LOVE to babysit... at least that's my plan.

Slightly weird kind-of coincidence, but Elsie was actually one of my mum's potentials for me until tradition/narcissism/originality really kicked in and she named me after my great gran, gran and herself. Well, apparently it was Elsie, Clover and Felicity ( :eek2: ) she really had trouble choosing between, so going for the old-namesake route sorted her troubles. I'm kinda grateful..

But back on the topic... can I cast my [future baby name] vote for Mary, what a fabulous, traditional, timelessly classic name. Oh, how I wish it was my middle name. ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    But back on the topic... can I cast my [future baby name] vote for Mary, what a fabulous, traditional, timelessly classic name. Oh, how I wish it was my middle name. ;)

my mum is a mary too, so it'll almost definitely pop up somewhere. plus my grandma (dad's mum) and all her sisters have mary as a middle name. apart from her sister mary. not sure what her middle name is....

:chin:
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    I'm trying to imagine calling you Drew and failing miserably.
  • Options
    I always just assumed drew to be a name of its own. So is drew carey's name andrew? That just doesn't seem right :(