Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

irony

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
define "irony",no cut n paste answers allowed.and if anyone mentions alanis morissete i will kill you.. :D

people use the word so much out of context, and i believe it is a difficult word to properly define.

so who's up for it?

a scenario that is ironic.

Comments

• Options
    You didn't say that quoting wasn't allowed, so:

Well, most of the scenarios in Ironic by Alanis Morisette, are... Ironic.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:

WRONG!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Irony is a form of speech in which the real meaning is concealed or contradicted by the words used. Irony involves the perception that things are not what they are said to be or what they seem. Dramatic irony lies in the audience's deeper perceptions of a coming fate, which contrast with a character's lack of knowledge about said fate.
  • Options
    a bit like iron but not quite iron so irony
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    WRONG!

What is it then?
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Irony is a form of speech in which the real meaning is concealed or contradicted by the words used. Irony involves the perception that things are not what they are said to be or what they seem. Dramatic irony lies in the audience's deeper perceptions of a coming fate, which contrast with a character's lack of knowledge about said fate.
    so a hypothetical scenario would be?
  • Options
    Here's irony-The rain is pouring down and Boy A says to Boy B "Great weather today innit?"
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Here's irony-The rain is pouring down and Boy A says to Boy B "Great weather today innit?"

That's sarcasm, isn't it?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Renzo wrote:
    a bit like iron but not quite iron so irony
    :thumb: I was going to say that.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    What is it then?
    "its like rain on your wedding day",that is not ironic its bad luck.

i'm trying to think of a situation,i'll get back to ya.
  • Options
    Jane Austen. Kermit's fave author ever :heart:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    wrong,just funny and sarcastic
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    "its like rain on your wedding day",that is not ironic its bad luck.

i'm trying to think of a situation,i'll get back to ya.

I agree, thats not ironic.
    But, like "It's a death row pardon, two minutes too late", seems pretty ironic to me.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    I agree, thats not ironic.
    But, like "It's a death row pardon, two minutes too late", seems pretty ironic to me.
    i think it would be more "ironic", if he had allways campaigned against the death penalty,and was innocent all the time.

i.e; the very thing he spent his life trying to stop ends up killing him.
  • Options
    it's fizzy and people in scotland drink it.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:

I'm stealing this from a comedian and putting it in my own words, None of what she sings about is ironic. Its bad luck. The fact that she sings a song called ironic and there is nothing irnoic in it is fairly ironic.

And its already been said in this thread before, it just took this long to register with me.

I cannot give an example of irony as I am retarded.
  • Options
    I'd say the part about the man who never wanted to fly - and then crashes and burns the first time he plucks up the courage to do so - is pretty ironic. It's definitely sod's law. :p

Example of irony... person campaigns their whole life to free monkeys from testing labs. He finally succeeds in getting into the lab and locating the keys to the cage... he opens the cage door and the first monkey jumps out and eats his head. How ironic. ;)
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    wrong,just funny and sarcastic

sarcasm is a form of irony.

there are loads of different types of irony, but generally it's when the literal meaning and the understood meaning of the phrase are different.

it's also a little ironic that none of the situations in a song titled 'ironic' are at all ironic.
  • Options
    It's a bit like steely but more prone to rust.

The ironic thing about Alanis' song was how little of it described real ironic situations.

There are a few different types of irony -

An example of situational irony -

a plane sent to rescue a group of people stranded on an island crashes, killing the people who were on the island and leaving the rescuers stuck in their place.

An example of a simple verbal irony would be, as Turlough said above, if someone says something like "lovely weather", when the weather is clearly shite.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

I cannot give an example of irony as I am retarded.

And Americans don't 'get' irony anyway apparently.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    And Americans don't 'get' irony anyway apparently.
    No. Just me.

Obviouly others too, I'm not the only one in the country. But I doubt theres an overwhelming number of people who dont get it as compared to other countries. Believe it or not, not everybody here is retarded, I think. No guarantees on that one though. But then again I dont think theres anybody overseas who isn't retarded either. Everyone is retarded. Big happy retarded world.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    sarcasm is a form of irony.

i don't agree.irony is irony and sarcasm is sarcasm imo.
  • Options
    The Darkness ... hopefully!
  • Options
    Irony = taking a piss out of a subject in hand

Lets say I was a certain President of the US of A and I go and visit a primary school to give a speech about education, and then i go to the black board and write education like so: EDUKATION

Also what's ironic is that a certain chief of police goes on the stand saying "we are gonna get tough on speeding drivers" while 2000 of his officers speed every day in excess of 20 mph more than the allowed speed.

not that i bear a grudge or anything....
    :chin:
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Irony = taking a piss out of a subject in hand

Lets say I was a certain President of the US of A and I go and visit a primary school to give a speech about education, and then i go to the black board and write education like so: EDUKATION

Also what's ironic is that a certain chief of police goes on the stand saying "we are gonna get tough on speeding drivers" while 2000 of his officers speed every day in excess of 20 mph more than the allowed speed.

not that i bear a grudge or anything....
    :chin:
    you see, i think there is an element missing there in both examples.there is no "twist" if you know what i mean.

propper "irony" involves a twist of fate somewhere.most of the elements are there,but just lack that imo.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Here's an example of irony:
    Crocodilite was telling StarGalaxy off because of what the latter said to the young smokers. Then in Croc's thread about spitting, someone thinks he's SG.
  • Options
    Here's an example of irony:
    Crocodilite was telling StarGalaxy off because of what the latter said to the young smokers. Then in Croc's thread about spitting, someone thinks he's SG.
    :lol: ...thats a good un zalb!
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    you see, i think there is an element missing there in both examples.there is no "twist" if you know what i mean.

propper "irony" involves a twist of fate somewhere.most of the elements are there,but just lack that imo.

i got ya, skip!
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    :lol: ...thats a good un zalb!
    Thanks! But I'm not Zalb anymore. ;) If you want a short version, try using Mr. Cold. :p
  • Options
    Thanks! But I'm not Zalb anymore. ;) If you want a short version, try using Mr. Cold. :p
    you know its spooky,cos my user name is going to change soon too.jim v's on with it now.(i think anyway).

any reason for your change?