Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eating in resturants on your own

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok heres a question for you all.

"Whats wrong with eating in a resturant on your own?"

I'm asking this because of a few comments i heard today while eating in a resturant in Greenwich today. I travel abit with my job and normally on my own, going from customers site to site (maritime colleges) the last few days i've been working at the National Maritime Musuem in London, Updating and fixing a few issues with the simulator i installed last year.

But today i went into a resturant (tapas) in greenwich (hotel menu sucks big time). When i asked for a table for 1, the staff gave me and each other really funny looks. They asked me how many for. I had to repeat myself 3 times before they should me to a seat. They i listerned to the people on the tables around me, they all seemed to have a problem with me sitting there on my own.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I don't think there is nothing wrong with it at all, aren't we allowed to eat when we are alone anymore...
  • Options
    I see people eating out alone lots. I wouldn't do it because Im very self concious and shy and get bored easily. However I dont really think twice when I see somebody who is.

A resturant is a good way to get a duty free meal thats better than mac and cheese. Just becasue your alone it shouldn't stop you!
  • Options
    Whilst I personally have never done it, I don't see anything wrong with it. I have noticed what you've meant before though when I've been out in restaurants.
  • Options
    yeah i dont see anything wrong with it either. which is why i wondered what they had a problem with
  • Options
    I feel like a bit of a twat when I go and sit in Burger King on my own, but that's because I usually look like a miserable sod...and there's always loads of chavs.

I wouldn't look twice at someone sat in a restaurant on their own tbh.
  • Options
    Maybe the wait staff aren't fans because 1=less money=less tips.

By the way, can I just ask this (really sorry to hijack the thread) when I was in Ireland, every resturant I went to, the server would take the order, somebody would bring it out, then they would come back with the check, but only when you asked. Is that normal or did they just not like us? We were always really friendly and accomidating.

Never once did they come back and ask how things were (usually they ask half a dozen times) They didn't even come and ask for refills once!!!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Nothing. But I wouldn't do it, I'd feel a twat, plus, I'd get bored. And fed up of everyone else.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    yeah i dont see anything wrong with it either. which is why i wondered what they had a problem with

I think they are the problem mates... Probably just some morons... Again...
  • Options
    You should have told me, I would have come and sat with you, if itwas near the university area of Greenwich, I've gone to the Chinese near the Cutty Sark on my own before, I think they are use to students though.
  • Options
    if i was out on my own, id probably grab a sandwich more than sit in a restaurant on my own, but thats purely because im a pauper. If i had plenty of money id eat out more whether alone or with someone. Nothing wrong with it at all, and i probably wouldnt even bat an eyelid if i saw someone sitting on their own.
  • Options
    if i was out on my own, id probably grab a sandwich more than sit in a restaurant on my own, but thats purely because im a pauper. If i had plenty of money id eat out more whether alone or with someone. Nothing wrong with it at all, and i probably wouldnt even bat an eyelid if i saw someone sitting on their own.

Agree totally.

I'd do it all the time if I travelled for work and they were footing the bill. ;)

Definitely sounds like the other customers who were remarking/staring are just knobbers...and the waiting staff should be a bit more professional. You win some, you lose some, as always. :)
  • Options
    damn it, yeah i should have. sorry forgot your here. I'm staying in the Devenport next to the musuem, its very nice. The money doesn't bother me as work are paying for all teh food and drink i order. :hyper:

my expences are funny i'm alouded £17.48 on beer/wine/spirts per nite. who the hell thinks up these numbers.
  • Options
    be a cunt back and make a formal complaint about the staff :thumb:
  • Options
    Some of the mature student are over there, I wish i was, as I feel I'm a lot more mature then some over here in the Cutty Sark Halls, but as I'm only 21 I'm too young, you need to be 25.

£17.48???
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    £17.48???

Enough for a pint in London.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    £17.48???
    yeah i cant work that one out either. why not £15, 17 or 20 just round it off.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    yeah i cant work that one out either. why not £15, 17 or 20 just round it off.
    Is it £20 including VAT or something?
  • Options
    might be but i like my theory they picked the figure out of the air hehe
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Youngbull:
    That's crazy! Even if the staff were sad because it was less money, what was with the people around? It makes no sense! :crazyeyes: Unless you went at a place called "the couples' restaurant" or something like that!

my_name:
    Over here at least, some places bring the check as soon as they bring the food, others bring it only when you ask. It makes more sense to not bring it before you ask, since you might decide to order something more later. Why have two checks instead of one?
    As for the refills, it makes more sense too. You ordered one bottle of whatever (or however many you ordered), if you want any more just ask.
    (To avoid misunderstandings: there was no angry tone to the above, just explaining my opinion)
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    [)

But they never came around to ask. I ment really, is it normal for the wait staff to never come around again? They never asked how things were, if they could get anything for you or anything! Never saw them but at the very begining and very end. I thought that was horrible, but it was the same at every place we ate!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    But they never came around to ask. I ment really, is it normal for the wait staff to never come around again? They never asked how things were, if they could get anything for you or anything! Never saw them but at the very begining and very end. I thought that was horrible, but it was the same at every place we ate!
    I was just talking about the check and the refills. But for asking if things are OK, that only happens sometimes too (talking about here again). No one cares much if they ask stuff (as far as I know), it's just one thing that might happen at some places.
    Personally, I'm kind of annoyed if I'm having a conversation with others on a table and the water/tress interrupts us to ask if we're ok.
    Again, since you might want something more or might not want something more, IMO it only makes sense that you should be the one to tell them.
  • Options
    No, there's nothing wrong with eating alone. When I was travelling through Europe two years ago I had to sit alone all the time, cause I was travelling by myself. And yeah, people do look at you. If you felt uncomfortable, imagine what a woman feels... 'What - a woman on her own? She has no man to take care of her or take her out to eat? Oh how sad...' was the kind of look I got. It wasn't so much that it was weird that I was eating alone but more like it was sad. I think that's what bothered me the most tbh. The pity look. I just wanted to shout back sometimes "Yeah, I'm by myself and having the TIME OF MY LIFE YOU IDIOTS!!!!" Sometimes men were sitting by themselves too but no one really paid much attention to them really, yeah, cause a guy can do what he wants, not like a lady obviously :rolleyes:

The fucking cunts... why don't they just mind their own business..
  • Options
    I repeat: That's crazy! I can't understand why anyone would think it's unusual for someone to eat on their own, it makes no fucking sense!
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I was just talking about the check and the refills. But for asking if things are OK, that only happens sometimes too (talking about here again). No one cares much if they ask stuff (as far as I know), it's just one thing that might happen at some places.
    Personally, I'm kind of annoyed if I'm having a conversation with others on a table and the water/tress interrupts us to ask if we're ok.
    Again, since you might want something more or might not want something more, IMO it only makes sense that you should be the one to tell them.

How are you to ask them if they never walk by? And just in my opinion, I find it rude if they dont ask how things are and if you need anything. If I need to ask them for things and if they dont ask me stuff and come by every once in a while to check, then they dont get a good tip. Why tip when they did nothing but write down what I want.

SOrry for the randomness, anyways, eating alone... its aok in my book :)
  • Options
    think you were just unlucky on that one, normally they do come over and ask how things are.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    No, there's nothing wrong with eating alone. When I was travelling through Europe two years ago I had to sit alone all the time, cause I was travelling by myself. And yeah, people do look at you. If you felt uncomfortable, imagine what a woman feels... 'What - a woman on her own? She has no man to take care of her or take her out to eat? Oh how sad...' was the kind of look I got. It wasn't so much that it was weird that I was eating alone but more like it was sad. I think that's what bothered me the most tbh. The pity look. I just wanted to shout back sometimes "Yeah, I'm by myself and having the TIME OF MY LIFE YOU IDIOTS!!!!" Sometimes men were sitting by themselves too but no one really paid much attention to them really, yeah, cause a guy can do what he wants, not like a lady obviously :rolleyes:

The fucking cunts... why don't they just mind their own business..
    Yeah its stupid, it doesn't bother me at all. but know what you mean about the pity look. I get it more when travelling in the uk that anywhere else. In russia and south africa never saw it. Europe yeah at least once or twice a trip, but the UK most of the time for some reason. I quite enjoy the meal by myself as can give me a good time to think.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    How are you to ask them if they never walk by? And just in my opinion, I find it rude if they dont ask how things are and if you need anything. If I need to ask them for things and if they dont ask me stuff and come by every once in a while to check, then they dont get a good tip. Why tip when they did nothing but write down what I want.

SOrry for the randomness, anyways, eating alone... its aok in my book :)
    Okay, if they don't even walk by I get it. Usually at the places I go you'll find someone walking around to see if someone wants something (but only if that someone asks) or even if they don't walk around they keep an eye on the customers to see if someone raises their arm to ask for something.
    But for the rest, I stick to what I've said: Why ask if you need anything more? It's much more likely that your first order will be your final, so if you want something more ask.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    Yeah its stupid, it doesn't bother me at all. but know what you mean about the pity look. I get it more when travelling in the uk that anywhere else. In russia and south africa never saw it. Europe yeah at least once or twice a trip, but the UK most of the time for some reason. I quite enjoy the meal by myself as can give me a good time to think.
    Yeah, it's true, meals by yourself do give you a nice and quiet time to think... I didn't go to the UK, good for me or I would have got more looks it seems!! Tbh the place where I was most looked at was Italy... The rest varied.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Yeah, it's true, meals by yourself do give you a nice and quiet time to think... I didn't go to the UK, good for me or I would have got more looks it seems!! Tbh the place where I was most looked at was Italy... The rest varied.
    Lol i found that too. maybe its the romantics in italian blood, dont like seeing single ppl
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    Lol i found that too. maybe its the romantics in italian blood, dont like seeing single ppl
    Lol, maybe. Wish some fit italian hunk then would have come to join me! :D;)