Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Name Meanings

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They didn't have mine.. chuh.

But I know Thomasyn basically means twin.
  • Options
    BabyNamesWorld.Com: Nicola - Italian - Fem. form of Nicholas :rolleyes: (You'd never have gussed that I bet)

BehindTheName.Com:

Usage: English

Latinate feminine form of NICHOLAS

Just gets better eh? My name has no meaning but to be the female version of something else.

The meaning of Nicholas however is : Nicholas - Greek - victorious people

How Nicholas is Greek yet Nicola is Italian I'll never know.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sarah...Hebrew origins meaning princess. Better get that tiara out and give it a polish :D
  • Options
    It seems to be a name of it's own nowadays but to be honest, I don't think it does very well as a stand alone name. I like names that you can use both formally and informally. So Elinor is my formal name and Ellie is my informal. I think that an informal sounding name means you don't always get taken very seriously - think of a bank manager being called Chas, or Ste, or Becks.
    lol, that's true..
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It seems to be a name of it's own nowadays but to be honest, I don't think it does very well as a stand alone name. I like names that you can use both formally and informally. So Elinor is my formal name and Ellie is my informal. I think that an informal sounding name means you don't always get taken very seriously - think of a bank manager being called Chas, or Ste, or Becks.
    "Elinor" sounds formal all right. But it has a nice sound, unlike most formal names (IMO).
  • Options
    Leanne - English - Gracious Plum
  • Options
    Samantha - Aramaic - Listens Well :angel:
  • Options
    grace of god apparently...
  • Options
    Battle Worthy. :yes: :D :thumb:
  • Options
    That website doesn't work for me i just get weird coding things :grump:

But as far as i know/looked before Lorna was created by RD Blackmore for his novel Lorna Doone and also there is a name Lorne which is celtic/scottish or something and it's a for of that.

I just used to get annoyed with my name when i was younger as people would forever call me Laura or sometimes Lauren. Poop.
  • Options

i like having a name that's shortened to make it more informal. my friends call me lucy but if i want to sound more sophisticated i call myself lucinda! :p
  • Options
    Felicity - Latin - Happiness :)
  • Options
    American Winner, Conqueror