Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vista screenshots

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Latest ones are here. Any thoughts?

I've a few, but I'll type them up another time. :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I am not getting vista until I actually, physically HAVE to (e.g: New games wont run on it.) because it is worse than Media Player as a system resource hog, and it constantly sends data back to MS, meaning, yes, them and the authorities can spy on us with no problems.

I am against this in principle. As such, I shall probably wait until a cracked and hacked version appears on torrent. :D:p

But man. On other notes, that is fucking ugly. Thats verging on MAC ugly.

Ew ew ew. Bring back the Win 98 looks, please. (I have XP in that.)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hear Vista needs RAM RAM and more RAM, especially for gaming. Minimum of 1gig or don't bother.

I'll probably give it a try at the end of the year when they get all the bugs and flaws sorted out.

There's already plenty of cracks around, they release upgraded versions each month by the looks of it, to early yet really.
  • Options
    Linux Kernel - 1 file
    Windows Kernal - half your ram no matter how much of that ram there is.
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    Linux Kernel - 1 file
    Windows Kernal - half your ram no matter how much of that ram there is.

Would you also happen to be a linux user? I use *nix because I dont like Microsoft's policies and the idea of Free Software makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I just wish some of my other electronics would be suppored by linux.

My pda is so sluggish under windows mobile 2005
  • Options
    linux and windows, im on windows now because i plan on playing UT2k4 shortly :)
  • Options
    damn widgets, such a waste of time most of them! :(
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Thats verging on MAC ugly.

I dont know if I will get ripped into for this, but Mac's have always out done windows in the looks department...

I had that beta of Vista installed a while ago...
    Looks nice, but its shite... really resource hungry (unless thats just a beta problem)
    The lay out is over complicated as well...
  • Options
    no its a general vista problem
  • Options
    no its a general vista problem

its pretty much a general windows problem...
  • Options
    I've a few, but I'll type them up another time. :)

My thoughts...

It looks nice. A heap more modern than XP, which was a decent visual upgrade over Win2k/Me/98. But I tend to think it's a complete waste of time and resources. I've played with beta versions of Windows since the Chicago(95) days, and officially since Memphis(98). It has been an interesting ride, and I've enjoyed watching the operating system evolve. Longhorn(Vista) is the first Windows release that I haven't played with for a long, long time.

Whatever folk say, WinXP is a superb OS. It is by far the best one Microsoft have made - it is stable and reliable, and doesn't take too many resources from your computer in order to run.

All this eye-candy is going to be the driving force behind making you all upgrade your computers. Not only will it need a heap of memory(I'm hearing that 1GB is the realistic minimum), it'll also demand that you upgrade your video card.

And all this is before you fire up an application.

This is not what an operating system is about. It is there to serve a purpose - like the dashboard on your car. It doesn't matter how sparkly it is, its main function is to provide you with an interface to use the computer for whatever tasks you have. I can't help but feel that no matter how glitzy the dashboard is, if the chassis isn't right and the engine is sub-standard, then it is just masking over other problems.

Longhorn was supposed to be a huge leap forward - it is now seriously delayed, and the most interesting bits have been pulled in an effort to speed up development.

I'd have preferred to see WinFS and Monad included, and a huge shake-up of security, than an obese user interface. I'd have been much more likely to consider using Windows on the desktop again if I didn't have to worry so much about the security of the system. A glitzy dashboard isn't going to tempt me into a Rover 45 when I can get a Ford Focus.

Didn't matter how many facelifts Rover did, they still ended up going under.

I have a fairly low-spec PC these days - a GF4 Ti4200, 512mb of SDRAM, an Athlon XP running at 1.6ghz. This is very overkill for what I do on my machine - browse the internet, watch films, play music, and do a bit of web development. But it would be wholly inadequate for the upcoming OS from Microsoft.

The way I see it, Microsoft are in the worst position they have been for a long, long time. Vista is waaay behind schedule(XP has been out for 5 years now, they normally replace an OS after 2-3). It offers no significant reason to upgrade for the majority of people - most specifically, businesses. And they're the folks that pay for the licences, unlike all you home users ;).

Business demands that a computer is reliable, secure, and fit for the job. As things stand, we have security update after security update for the current OS. We have viruses bringing the electronic world down upon it's knees, and making television headlines. And now we have a bloated user interface and a proper fat bastard of a memory hog, to boot.

Joy.

As I said before, I've been a big fan of Windows for many years. But these days, there are better products out there. If you don't need an application that is only available for Windows, then you can get an OS for free that will do the job faster and more reliably than the mainstream offering.

What really narked me about Windows was that despite using a different media player, internet browser, email client and MSN client, I still had to have the default offerings installed on my machine. I still have to be wary about the security implications of having them on my machine.

Microsoft shouldn't have paused development of Internet Explorer for so long.
    Microsoft shouldn't have forced their products onto my machine.
    Security updates should have been far less frequent, and I shouldn't have to download hundreds of megabytes of service packs after a fresh install.

I can't see a real reason for business to upgrade to Vista, and business is the main purchaser of Microsoft products. They'll likely only be upgrading when support for their current OS is stopped.

If only Windows was more customisable, more secure, easier to live with... it would be called Linux ;).

End of drivel. :)
  • Options
    that was good drivel, exactly the same opinions as me, XP is the best to date but like you said businesses aren't really gonna want to upgrade to vista, not only do they not need huge high spec OS, they'd have to replace every single computer they have becayse they wont be designed for vista, if linux shipped with PC's as default and was the minstream OS would it do as good as windows?
  • Options
    I dont want Vista.

With it consuming all of my resources... how am I meant to play a game, exactally?
  • Options
    im just going to save up and buy a couple of high end graphics cards, and a big wad of ram
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    im just going to save up and buy a couple of high end graphics cards, and a big wad of ram

I have nearly that, saving up for a second 7800GT ;D

Can't wait. Need some sort of income though. Grrr... and with recent Ebay evens I am scared to use it :(
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I dont want Vista.

Same here. Micro$.... Hum... erhm... anyway....

I promess myself I wouldn't bitch about them today...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I dont want Vista.

With it consuming all of my resources... how am I meant to play a game, exactally?

comes with a built in game, i think it's main plot line is to install the most security updates in the quickest time
  • Options
    I really wanna move to Linux full time but untill there is better support for wireless communications, I won't bother.
  • Options
    I really wanna move to Linux full time but untill is there is better support for wireless communications, I won't bother.

Same here, the trouble I have tho is that some software I use to work are made for windows only...
  • Options
    I will keep Win on another partition just so I can play games unless a certain game like BF2 will work under WINE.
  • Options
    you can use nsdiswrapper for a lot of wireless devices, and you can use Wine to run windows programs
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    you can use nsdiswrapper for a lot of wireless devices, and you can use Wine to run windows programs

Heard a lot about wine and check it out a while ago.

is it now working with all windows application?
  • Options
    softworld wrote:

I cannot be arsed to play about with Ndiswrapper, I also need a wireless config util as well and cannot be bothered to play about setting one up as well.

Saying that, I have an MP3 player that doubles up as a flash drive or what ever it is so I might use a Mandrake Move and try and install ndiswrapper.

Wine doesn't support all Win application, but it does support quite a lot.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php
  • Options
    Wine doesn't support all Win application, but it does support quite a lot.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php

Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    Mabye, they will find out how to cut down on the use of resources, i personaly like the vista look and feel, but like everyone says it takes up far to much resources!
  • Options
    An article that I wound up at a short while ago suggested that Windows is so much more clunky than it needs to be because of backwards compatibility. And I can believe that, and yeah, it's fairly sucky.

They should junk some of the legcay support and go full-on into new stuff.
  • Options
    Greetings,

I suppose WinFS to be really interesting one filesystem. I've came upon a place where some useful info on it can be found. If you are also interested in this structure, you can give it a glance http://www.ntfs.com/
  • Options
    Winfs has been cut from Vista, it'll probably be realeased as an addon download
  • Options
    Looks ok, I think its an OSX wannabe though.
  • Options
    All this eye-candy is going to be the driving force behind making you all upgrade your computers. Not only will it need a heap of memory(I'm hearing that 1GB is the realistic minimum), it'll also demand that you upgrade your video card.

And all this is before you fire up an application.

This is not what an operating system is about. It is there to serve a purpose - like the dashboard on your car. It doesn't matter how sparkly it is, its main function is to provide you with an interface to use the computer for whatever tasks you have. I can't help but feel that no matter how glitzy the dashboard is, if the chassis isn't right and the engine is sub-standard, then it is just masking over other problems.

You've hit the nail on the head here.

An operating shouldn't be hardware intensive. It should run on a basic, cheap set up with the fancy stuff coming later.

Linux is the way forward. From what I've seen, the OS runs on almost any computer and if you have decent hardware you can do a bit more with it. An operating system that requires a fancy graphics card and 1Gb RAM before you do anything should struggle to sell.
  • Options
    also with all these new editions of vista such as the business one tc. i cant think of many businesses who will upgrade all their workplace machines for the version of vista designed for their company... Its un-economical.
    Also a problem i can see with vista is it's gonig to come with the usual security holes. Any if a company DOES upgrade, their IT dept are gonna be pretty pissed having to upgrade and patch every single machine.

Even if Vista was booted as a Network OS, It'll take up alot of network traffic.