Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Suicide and Philosophy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm writing my will, I say it's a will. It's a bit informal on that account. Just a final message in case.

The story behind this is that I tried to kill myself about 2 weeks ago, using the high speed train method. The reason I stopped was because I had no final message.

That incident in its self was due to hard times at home, but last night I dropped 2 packs of paracetamol because I was bored. I threw them back up when sense kicked in about half an hour later. It made me quite worried afterwards that I would do that so easily. I wasn't that upset. I came to the conclusion that the reason why I may be so easily seduced by suicide is down to my philosophy on life and death. I believe in reincarnation, but not with all that karma stuff, just our spirits go into another body. I see it as an easy way out. There is not alot of stuff I value in the world at the moment, and killing yourself seems like fun. Like a reset button.

The question I really want to know is it immoral to kill yourself for fun and release? I really would like to, but I don't think its fair on anyone who has a relationship with me. Should I be selfish or not. I mean, after all does it matter what they feel if I'm in another life? Should I be able to decide whether I live or die?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    the way i see it...killing yourself is the easy way out. Its not a release because you need to be alive to feel release.
    If you have a life you shouldn't waste it....just my oppinion.
  • Options
    i think it absolutely should be your decision, although its a complete headfuck for the people you leave behind as you already know and also a complete waste for the effort thats already gone into making you and bringing you up.
  • Options
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    When you feel like you want to die - what does death mean to you?
    Do you want to just curl up and die till it feels better or do you want to die forever?
  • Options
    All I would say is, please try and consider what it would mean for those you leave behind. Think about it. Suicide is not the answer, whatever your problems.
  • Options
    committingsuicideworddocument2.jpg
  • Options
    I want to die forever, but it's not like that. Death means a new start to me. So I would be dying and then I would be alive in another body, in another life. I'm not wanting to die because I hate myself, I actually want to restart my life.
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    I want to die forever, but it's not like that. Death means a new start to me. So I would be dying and then I would be alive in another body, in another life. I'm not wanting to die because I hate myself, I actually want to restart my life.
    what do you base your belief on an afterlife on?
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    theres no proof or guarantee of 'reincarnation' though....why can't you restart this life? its never too late.
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    but the chances are, thats not gonna happen.

You can start over without killing yourself.

If you kill yourself, you wont be able to start afresh. Theres no evidence for reincarnation. im not saying it doesnt happen, but just that its a crap reason to end your life, thinking you can just come back as someone/something else.
  • Options
    Train drivers are employed to shuttle people around, not deal with someone disintegrating over their windscreen.

Although I don't think that trespassers on railway tracks should be stopped for. Dumb fucks.
  • Options
    my dads a train driver, though he's never had a suicide...he knows lots of men who have....and ended up quitting because they were so traumatized
  • Options
    I don't base my belief on anything, but because I'll never know the answer I'll take what I believe to be true.

As far as starting over is concerned, I can't because alot of the reasons why I'm not that happy are out of my control.

Evidence wise, there isn't much evidence on dying and staying dead either, nor going to heaven or hell. It would be interesting to explore, but you wouldn't be able to tell anyone what you find.
  • Options
    As far as starting over is concerned, I can't because alot of the reasons why I'm not that happy are out of my control.

Stand up.

Now.
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    I don't base my belief on anything, but because I'll never know the answer I'll take what I believe to be true.

Evidence wise, there isn't much evidence on dying and staying dead either, nor going to heaven or hell. It would be interesting to explore, but you wouldn't be able to tell anyone what you find.
    exactly so whats the point? you have a life for a reason, when your time is up you will go and you can explore then....not by doing it yourself.
  • Options
    Yeah it did cross my mind that it would be unfair to the driver. I wrote in my note a section to reassure that if anyone else was involved it wasn't their fault. I don't think it's fair to use that method, but after you die it won't affect you. Depends how desparate you are. I would not use it after I thought about it. It could very well ruin someone elses life.

This is all hypothetical, I'm not going to kill myself tonight or anything. Just wondered what people thought about if its ok to do it depending on what you believe.
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    Yeah it did cross my mind that it would be unfair to the driver. I wrote in my note a section to reassure that if anyone else was involved it wasn't their fault. I don't think it's fair to use that method, but after you die it won't affect you. Depends how desparate you are. I would not use it after I thought about it. It could very well ruin someone elses life.
    what about loved ones? friends/relatives....it will ruin their lives however you do it
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:

depending on what you believe.
    well you don't realy believe much at all by the sound of things.

you know your living and thats all.

you base your ideas of what will happen after you stop living on nothing aT ALL.

most of the evidence seems to point to the fact that you will turn to dust.
  • Options
    say your spirit goes into another body like you say... it still wont be you per se...

itd be a different brain, different way of thinking etc... you wouldnt remember your old self, it wouldnt exactly be a new start to how you are now... you couldnt remake the decisions that you felt you made wrongly.. as things would be totally different.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    say your spirit goes into another body like you say... it still wont be you per se...

itd be a different brain, different way of thinking etc... you wouldnt remember your old self, it wouldnt exactly be a new start to how you are now... you couldnt remake the decisions that you felt you made wrongly.. as things would be totally different.
    :yes:
  • Options
    That's true, but by the same token things happening in this life would not bother you. You wouldn't even know you had another life.
  • Options
    whats all this spirit rubbish?

i'll bet most of you believe in the theory of evolution ...
    so if life on this planet is an accidental meeting and mixing of chemicals ...please don't stretch it to the fact that these chemicals accidently designed another you ...and somewhere nice and cosy to live after death ...and even the means of transport to get you there pleeease!
  • Options
    What would your previous life think about this?
  • Options
    But if there isnt something afterwards then what happens to our conciousness? I'm a firm believer in science and evolution and I'm not religious at all. It just can't end though ... can it?
  • Options

just a theory, like religion... nothing has been proven to me either way, so id consider myself agnostic...
  • Options
    whats all this spirit rubbish?

so if life on this planet is an accidental meeting and mixing of chemicals ...please don't stretch it to the fact that these chemicals accidently designed another you ...and somewhere nice and cosy to live after death ...and even the means of transport to get you there pleeease!

I think "evolution" is too tidy a story and nothing accidental could have created the human body, food chains and survival techniques implanted in all living things. I can't say what did/didn't happen as I wasn't there, but I think there was more to it than that.

As for reincarnation I wouldn't rule it out, but I certainly wouldn't use it as a way of starting over. Im doing that without dying (at least I'm attempting to), and yeah its tough but i know I'll know how to do it if I ever need to again and I will learn the leasons along the way.
  • Options
    Lawton wrote:
    But if there isnt something afterwards then what happens to our conciousness? I'm a firm believer in science and evolution and I'm not religious at all. It just can't end though ... can it?
    why can't it just end?
    this belief seems to be ingrained in most humans ...in all societies through the ages.
    we are the most amazing thing yet discovered in the universe ...the only life form on the planet that has choice.
    that to me makes humans very special ...unique even.
    thats why i personaly believe in creation by a creator.
    thats why suicide to me is wrong.

but for you people who don't believe ...do what you must.
  • Options
    Suicide is for pussys. Get a life :p
  • Options
    I belive we live our lives, then we die... and thats it, nothing else...

thats why you have to live your life to the fullest, enjoy it as much as you can and do as much as possible.

I feel for you if things are down at the moment, but they are not that bad that you should put your family and friends through that, imo thats very selfish.

As other people have said, if you want a change then do something about it, dont kill yourself. Only you have the power to make yourself happy and make your life better!

I count myself very lucky for being here and im going to make sure I make the most of it!