Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

M: "Can I interest you in..." D: "Oh, fuck off!"

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Babyshambler notes that I was in Manchester Piccadilly yesterday. As it happens, all went well bar one incident. I'd somehow or other missed the train I had scheduled to take home.

So there I was, looking up at the screen to see when the next train to Chester was. As I was trying to read that, someone comes up to me and asks "excuse me, did you pay cashback on your glasses?". What? Was it a madman? Well, yes. A madman from AXA Healthcare trying to sell me bloody insurance. There he was asking "are you over 18", "are you married", "do you want to punch me in the face"... well, I may have made up that third one, but it describes what I wanted to do. I've never seen such an arrogant and persistent bastard in all my life. I eventually told him to fuck off and pester someone else.

What can you do to deal with these arrogant salespeople who just won't take no for an answer? :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That doesn't get you arrested.........hmmmmmmmm............ I don't know. Let them do all their chat then walk away as if deaf??
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I love it when we have people calling us, and they ask for Mrs 'X'. My mum and dad are divorced, so i say, "I'm so sorry, but she is no longer with us!" hahaha! its always rapidly followed by, "oh dear, sorry...beeeeeep!" never fails! :lol:
  • Options
    did you actually say 'fuck off'?

I just nod and smile and say 'no thanks mate' like I'm a superior being. Normally works :p
  • Options
    When they ring, I always put the phone on the desk, or couch or whatever I'm near and leave them for several minutes, see what happens:D
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    I love it when we have people calling us, and they ask for Mrs 'X'. My mum and dad are divorced, so i say, "I'm so sorry, but she is no longer with us!" hahaha! its always rapidly followed by, "oh dear, sorry...beeeeeep!" never fails! :lol:

My mate's dad pretends he's elderly, deaf and demented. So funny.
  • Options
    did you actually say 'fuck off'? I just nod and smile and say 'no thanks mate' like I'm a superior being. Normally works :p
    I said it under my breath, I don't think he heard me, but I don't care if he did. They've probably heard much worse.
  • Options
    solid_L wrote:
    When they ring, I always put the phone on the desk, or couch or whatever I'm near and leave them for several minutes, see what happens:D

unfortunately they get paid for the amount of time they're on the phone i think :confused: im not sure
  • Options
    I HATE the ambulance chaser ones. One of them offered me a job once! I mean, you HAVE to be joking... who would choose do that for a living?!
  • Options
    Those Axa people were on my commute not so long ago. "No" usually does the trick.
  • Options
    i'm ugly enough to say ...'go away' ...and they do.
  • Options
    Those Axa people were on my commute not so long ago. "No" usually does the trick.
    I must admit I fell for a similar trick a few years ago. I was on my first day at college, when someone comes up to me asking if I'd like to win some money. I said, "yeah, go on then, what do I need to do". She asked me to fill in this form, giving name, date of birth and address. The competition was being sponsored by NatWest. I should have seen what they were up to, but I didn't. Anyway, two weeks later, I get a letter in the post saying "We are delighted you have signed up to NatWest bank". What?! (incidentally, that bank account has remained completely unused for nearly five years)
  • Options
    Ooo when you got the chester train did you go through Altringham, Knutford and Northwich?

If so, you would have passed through the little village I live in, Cuddington :)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    (incidentally, that bank account has remained completely unused for nearly five years)
    it's worth money to someone then ...
  • Options
    I just walk around looking unstable.

They leave me alone.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Ooo when you got the chester train did you go through Altringham, Knutford and Northwich?
    The train I took from Chester to Manchester Piccadilly in the morning, and vice versa in the evening, went through Warrington, and a few other tiny stations I'd never heard of - Runcorn East, Newton Le Wills... or something like that.
    it's worth money to someone then ...
    No money has ever been in the bank account.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I must admit I fell for a similar trick a few years ago. I was on my first day at college, when someone comes up to me asking if I'd like to win some money. I said, "yeah, go on then, what do I need to do". She asked me to fill in this form, giving name, date of birth and address. The competition was being sponsored by NatWest. I should have seen what they were up to, but I didn't. Anyway, two weeks later, I get a letter in the post saying "We are delighted you have signed up to NatWest bank". What?! (incidentally, that bank account has remained completely unused for nearly five years)

I haven't fallen for any tricks, though.

I wouldn't mind a shouting match with one of them, though.
    That'd almost be as amusing as being cruel to recruitment agents (hopefully tomorrow's task, should the bint phone back).
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No money has ever been in the bank account.
    nice and clean then.
  • Options
    ha ha well they're just trying to make a living...
    i was sat in the pub with my mates on tuesday and some guy comes in and was trying to flog us batteries, lightbulbs, deoderant and boxes of chocolates ('cause muvvas days comin up soon lads).
  • Options
    icey wrote:

Absolutely. But they can be a great source of amusement (like most sales people).
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    i was sat in the pub with my mates on tuesday and some guy comes in and was trying to flog us batteries, lightbulbs, deoderant and boxes of chocolates ('cause muvvas days comin up soon lads).
    "Here you go Mum, have a lightbulb!"

Don't somehow think she'd appreciate it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    "Here you go Mum, have a lightbulb!"

Don't somehow think she'd appreciate it.
    Depends how dark your house is i guess.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Depends how dark your house is i guess.
    I suppose you just have to make sure one of the lights has blown before you give her the lightbulb.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The train I took from Chester to Manchester Piccadilly in the morning, and vice versa in the evening, went through Warrington, and a few other tiny stations I'd never heard of - Runcorn East, Newton Le Wills... or something like that. No money has ever been in the bank account.

Ahhhh right, the only reason why I was asking is because theres only a few trains from Manchester that go to Chester, one running through my village :)
  • Options
    i just say 'sorry, not interested'. simple!
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Ahhhh right, the only reason why I was asking is because theres only a few trains from Manchester that go to Chester, one running through my village :)
    I saw two different routes - some through Warrington, others through Altrincham. In both cases, I went for the first option.
  • Options
    not interested'. simple!
    spo why do krrp posting?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I saw two different routes - some through Warrington, others through Altrincham. In both cases, I went for the first option.

Two routes are Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Oxford Road, Newton-le-Wilows, Earlestown, Warrington Bank Quay, Runcorn East, Frodsham, Helsby and Chester. The other way goes through Cuddington and Northwich through to Altricham and Manchester. Warrington way is quite a bit quicker.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Scream at them until they walk off. Or when they come up, shout "RAPE!"
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Bit extreme, surely? And the train station was full of cops at the time! :p
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Or, if they try and stop you in the street, adopt a loud and haughty voice and shout "OUT OF MY WAY, I HAVE AN ERECTION".