Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The poor poor bartenders

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Tipping is not a city in China. Tip the bastards!

Comments

• Options
    Meh, tipping is an extra. Doesn't bother me really.
  • Options
    I thought it downright shocking. I was out of the area and went to bars. Nobody tipped. Nobody! Now I've been to some bars and I know the code, my brother who is a bartender definatly knows it, if you dont tip, you either get watered down drinks or flat out don't get served. I thought the bartenders were going to cream their pants when we started buying rounds. I was shocked. But I guess if it doesn't bother you. Then oh what the hey.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I always try to tip...

Its just good manners. Unless the serives was lousy, then fuck em.
  • Options
    the bar tender?

maybe the waiter/waitress if you're at a restaurant.. i didnt even think they expected a tip :s (bartenders that is). : o
  • Options
    The place where I work (well, I say where I work but I think I'm quitting as I got a new job today) the tipping varies shift to shift. I've come out of work with nearly £20 of tips yet other nights come out with barely anything. It depends who you serve. I find that the men are more generous :P

When I work, I either work in the restuarant or the bar. The restaurant can sometimes be better for tips than the bar. It completely depends on the customers.
  • Options
    Always tip waiters/waitresses (normally about 10% of bill) , never known anyone to tip bar staff.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    the bar tender?

: o

Yer. The tender of the bar. Just a bar, not a resturant/bar thing, plain ol bar. I was always taught, if you buy a drink and say its like 3.50 or something, you give em 4. Or in general one american dollar for every couple of drinks. They gotta deal with a lot of shit, they deserve it imo :p
  • Options
    i'd have no problem tipping if i was left with enough money for enough drink! until then!

but yea its common practice here to tip the bar man, not so much in city centre i dont think

i dunno
  • Options
    i dont see why people should get tips. i mean they are just doing their job and they are getting paid for it, why should we give them any extra. fair enough if its in america where a lot of people rely on tips to get by but in england even minimum wage is enough to get by. I'll tip in restaurants but thats it, and only because its polite.
    Anyone else can sod off though, nobody gives me any tips at work so why should i tip them, you wouldnt give a bus driver a tip or a traffic warden so whats the difference?
  • Options
    I tipped the barman the other night. After finishing my drink I leant over and said "Never run with scissors". I then tapped my nose twice, pointed at him and walked out, content with my work.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    i dont see why people should get tips. i mean they are just doing their job and they are getting paid for it, why should we give them any extra. fair enough if its in america where a lot of people rely on tips to get by but in england even minimum wage is enough to get by. I'll tip in restaurants but thats it, and only because its polite.
    Anyone else can sod off though, nobody gives me any tips at work so why should i tip them, you wouldnt give a bus driver a tip or a traffic warden so whats the difference?

Minimum wage here is $5.15 i think, (about 8.70 pounds I guess if my math and that conversion site was right) and even in a small town where everything is cheap, thats not enough to get by, not even close. And bartenders make minimum wage, but when it comes to waiters and stuff, they make less (usually about $2.50 an hour), as tips are considered a part of their earnings. And bartenders are usually nice and as I said, they deal with a lot of shit. For barely minimum wage they have to deal with mean drunks, annoying people, puking, just horrid stuff. You see people who deal with vomit and people yelling shit at you in any other job and they make twice as much as an earning.

Thats just how it is here though and I have no idea what it is there, just thought I'd say why I think tipping is so important.
    Plus, alot of jobs don't have do deal with people (alot of rude people)
  • Options
    You did the conversion the wrong way round :p
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    You did the conversion the wrong way round :p

Oh duh! Stupid. Ok so $5.15 is about 2.90? I should have figured that one out immediatly when it looked like the USD was worth something :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Minimum wage here is $5.15 i think, (about 8.70 pounds I guess if my math and that conversion site was right) and even in a small town where everything is cheap, thats not enough to get by, not even close. And bartenders make minimum wage, but when it comes to waiters and stuff, they make less (usually about $2.50 an hour), as tips are considered a part of their earnings. And bartenders are usually nice and as I said, they deal with a lot of shit. For barely minimum wage they have to deal with mean drunks, annoying people, puking, just horrid stuff. You see people who deal with vomit and people yelling shit at you in any other job and they make twice as much as an earning.

Thats just how it is here though and I have no idea what it is there, just thought I'd say why I think tipping is so important.
    Plus, alot of jobs don't have do deal with people (alot of rude people)

As a barman I'd like to agree with you but we get minimum wage over here behind a bar. Tippings not really part of bar culture and its not expected.

Must admit it took a while getting used to it over in your neck of the woods last year. I think its cheeky as fuck ... the bar pays their staff less and then makes the customer pay the difference.
  • Options
    But traffic wardens, bus drivers, nurses, social workers etc.. regualaly get abuse from member sof the public and we dont tip them...
    Minimum wage is about £5.15 i think which is probably about 9/10 dollars in us money, so not too shaby really. why should they get any more?
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    But traffic wardens, bus drivers, nurses, social workers etc.. regualaly get abuse from member sof the public and we dont tip them...
    Minimum wage is about £5.15 i think which is probably about 9/10 dollars in us money, so not too shaby really. why should they get any more?

As far as I know... round my way, if someone tipped a bar tender... it would just be seen as odd! No one does it...

Waiters and waitresses yes, but I have never heard of someone tipping a bar tender!
  • Options
    dont eat yellow snow
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Fuck tipping.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i often get tips, and sometimes a few of the staff do as well, it all gets put into a tip jar and saved up, and every so often we use it to buy pizzas and chips and drinks after work on a saturday night :)

though while staff dont get annoyed if they dont get tipped, they do have a habit of going first to people who are regular cutomers, and are known to be nice people, and that tip
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    MrG wrote:
    though while staff dont get annoyed if they dont get tipped, they do have a habit of going first to people who are regular cutomers, and are known to be nice people, and that tip

So I'd get priority if I was known as a tipper?

Don't see much wrong with that - except that folk in the bar for the first time suffer a longer wait.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    plus you watch them pour your pint so if they try watering it down or something you'll see it :D
  • Options
    erm to be honest if you water down someones pint on a bar, someone is going to notice and that bars rep would dive so quickly

i once knew a lad who kept on complaining that the guiness was watered down, trying to be all cool and like "yeh im a hardened drinker"

and actually, it tasted exactly as it should
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    and actually, it tasted exactly as it should

O RLY?
  • Options
    its really difficult to water down a draft product, i dont mean pour a bit of water in the glass when there not looking i mean so that it comes out the tap watered down. the pressure inside the barrel is so high your quite likely to blow it and then your in the shit.

if you wanted to rip off your coustomers it would be so much easier to searve out of date/ at the date beer and aslong as the lines were kept really clean i doubt that many people would notice, i can name quite a few places in my home town that do this.
  • Options
    the only problem is, that i can say without a shadow of a doubt, that we dont sell out of date beer in the place i work, the nearest keg we have to going out of date is a month and a bit away, and thats half empty as it is, and will last all of half an hour on thursday night
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    A friend of mine works in a restaurant/bar thing (Old Orleans) and they have the cheek to ask £7.10 for a double vodka + red bull, I doubt anyone's gonna tip with prices like that.
  • Options
    icey wrote:

Can I just point out that anyone who works in a club/pub get £500 less tax allowance because of expected tips??
    I work in the cloakroom of a club, I still get my tax allowance reduced and I don't make any blimming tips, so Wise up!
  • Options
    I got tips when I was a tour guide. I could make about 20 quid on a good day.
  • Options
    Nice for some hun. But it's nippy when I can't make the normal amount of money because of "tips" I don't get!
  • Options
    I've never tipped in my life. Not something we do round here. I refer you to this from Reservoir Dogs

All right,I'll take care of the check.

All right,I'll take care of the check.

You guys can get the tip.

Should be about a buck apiece.

And you, when I come backI want my book.

Sorry. It's my book now.

Hey, I changed my mind.Shoot this piece of shit, will ya?

All right, everybody cough upsome green for the little lady.

Come on, throw in a buck.

I don't tip.

You don't tip?

I don't believe in it.

You don't believe in tipping?

Do you know what these chicks make?They make shit.

If she don't make enough money,she can quit.

I don't even know a fuckin' Jewwho'd have the balls to say that.

Let me get this straight.You don't ever tip, huh?

I don't tip because society says I have to. If they really put forth the effort,I'll give 'em somethin' extra. But this tipping automatically,it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned,they're just doin' their job.

This girl was nice.

She was okay.

She wasn't anything special.

What's special?

Take you in the backand suck your dick?

I'd go over % for that.

I ordered coffee, all right?She's only filled my cup three times. I want it filled six times.

Six times? Well, what ifshe's too fuckin' busy?

The words "too fuckin' busy"shouldn't be in a waitress's vocabulary.

Excuse me, Mr. Pink,but the last fuckin' thing you need's...another cup of coffee.

These ladies aren't starvin' to death.They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage,and when I did...I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

You don't care they're countin' on your tips to live?

You know what this is? The world's smallest violin,playin' just for the waitresses.

You don't have any ideawhat you're talkin' about. These people bust their ass.This is a hard job.

So's working at McDonald's,but you don't feel the need to tip them.

They're servin' you food,but society says "Don't tip these guys over here,but tip these guys." That's bullshit.

Waitressing isthe number-one occupation for female non-college graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get and make a living on. The reason is because of their tips. Fuck all that.

I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips.

That's fucked up.That ain't my fault.

It would appear that waitressesare one of the many groups...the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis.

Show me a paper that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. I'll vote for it.But what I won't do is play ball.
    This non-college bullshit, I got two words for that: Learn to fuckin' type. If you're expectin' me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big surprise.

He's convinced me.Give me my dollar back.

Hey. Leave the dollars there.

All right, ramblers,let's get ramblin'.

Wait a minute.Who didn't throw in?

Mr. Pink. Mr. Pink?

Why not?

He don't tip.

He don't tip?

You don't tip?

He don't believe in it.

Shut up. What do you mean,you don't believe in it?

Cough up a buck, you cheap bastard.I paid for your goddamn breakfast.

Since you bought breakfast, I'll put in.But normally I would never do this.

Never mind what you normally would do.

Just cough in your goddamn bucklike everybody else. Thank you.

:D