Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sugar: Universities full of idiots

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i know someone who graduated last year with me, getting a degree's really not that hard, then he tried to get a job in i.t. for ages, failed miserably, and in the end took a job working as a bouncer in a club, cos no bugger would employ him..........i'm only just starting to learn about how to make the system work for me, that's something i never learned in education, and something that will never be taught in the mainstream, for obvious reasons.......i wouldn't say uni was a complete waste of time because it helped me develop in other areas, but considering it took 3 years of my life it wasn't that intellectually stimulating, its more of an ego boost these days than anything else......i went to university don't you know, ergo i must be a clever sod......big woop.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What degrees do that, what degrees don't, and how do you decide?

Without having knowledge of what every course involves i can't answer that. I've found philosophy to be the most beneficial in terms of the enhancing the mind from experience tho'.
    Especially as there's a school of thought that actually places a lot of importance on HNDs such as golf course management...

So? That doesn't mean a substantial number of university students aren't idiots failing to develop work-related skills or mental faculties. I know various airheads studying subjects like sociology with no intention of pursuing a career in that field. They gain fuck all except £4k a year. If employers want to consider that advantageous...well, more fool them.
  • Options
    The value of things is pretty easy to find out - those which people will voluntarily pay for are decent ones, those which no one will voluntarily pay for are utter shit and should go.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The value of things is pretty easy to find out - those which people will voluntarily pay for are decent ones, those which no one will voluntarily pay for are utter shit and should go.

So bye bye chemistry, hello "forensic science".

Popular doesn't equal good.
    spliffie wrote:
    I've found philosophy to be the most beneficial in terms of the enhancing the mind from experience tho'.

I'd completely agree with this bit.

But PPE doesn't get you a job.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I'd completely agree with this bit.

But PPE doesn't get you a job.

Well...it could. All depends on what you're wanting to do. Personally i don't attend uni to assist with getting a job - as you say, there's more to it than that for some.
  • Options
    Popular doesn't equal good.

Funnily enough, you are right. Luckily enough, clever men who like the more esoteric things in culture and science have this wonderful tendency to also use their brains to generate wealth for themselves.

Perhaps one of those individuals could pay for "good" things. Of course, if no one is willing to voluntarily pay for something then it has no buisness whatsoever existing, especially in a "democracy".
  • Options
    There is more to it than being coached for a job.

It's a point people like Sugar don't get, and never will.

It doesn't take a huge amount of brains to make money, just balls.
  • Options
    There is more to it than being coached for a job.

As things stand, yes. What I am saying is that it shouldn't be. Teaching people things they don't need to know which benefit no one before teaching them how to make and generate wealth is stupid.
    It's a point people like Sugar don't get, and never will.

That's because they are all shark eyed residents of the real world. :p
    It doesn't take a huge amount of brains to make money, just balls.

You have to provide to a hell of a lot of people if you are in buisness, or be utterly useless if you work for the government.

It takes a hell of a lot of brainwashing befoe you can take people's natural inclination to provide for themselves and to add to their material wealth and get them feeling guilty about doing it.
  • Options
    There are more things to life than material wealth.

I find people who don't see that a bit sad, in all honesty.
  • Options
    There are more things to life than material wealth.

Yup, there are other forms of wealth. See my "insane" position that trees are capitalists.

You need material wealth before you can do any of the others. this is what should be taught first, then the rest later. Pretty obvious really. 18 year olds who can't pay the gas bill but know iambic pentameter is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Ah, I get the point a bit more now.

Yes, basic life skills should be taught.

But if you know credit cards are a rip-off, you wouldn't take one out. So no education in that;)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

You need material wealth before you can do any of the others. this is what should be taught first, then the rest later. Pretty obvious really. 18 year olds who can't pay the gas bill but know iambic pentameter is ridiculous.

You need material wealth for happiness? love? life expereince?

sorry dont want to sound like a hippy but wealth doesnt equal happiness
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yes, basic life skills should be taught.

;)
    theres something seriously wrong if people have to go into higher education for that reason!
    life skills are not learned in a classroom.
  • Options
    theres something seriously wrong if people have to go into higher education for that reason!
    life skills are not learned in a classroom.

?

You don't.

But klintock is right, some students don't know how to deal with money, for instance.

Pheh. Read what I said before.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    ?

But klintock is right, some students don't know how to deal with money, for instance.

so these people don't even know how to shop ...how to budget but ...they get a place in uni!
    the thread title is making more sense now.
  • Options
    A lot of people don't when they're 15, 16, 17.

I think Sugar reckons everyone should be as bright as him, which is great, we can all match his 55 years of life experience. In 30 years.