Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police chief calls for drug legalisation

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Alcohol abuse is far more damaging and dangerous than most other drugs known to man.

I'm actually quite sick of the double standards around, and since there is no end in sight to the prohibition laws regarding drugs I might as well start campaigning for the illegalisation of alcohol and cigarettes. If I can't enjoy the recreational substance of my choice legally, I don't see why others should be allowed to enjoy theirs.
  • Options
    nothing to say then eh stargalaxy?
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    nothing to say then eh stargalaxy?
    I'm just seeing whether you lot can debate something without making it deteriorate into a slanging match, simply because I don't agree with you. Make no mistake - I stand by what I said. Drugs should remain illegal, and laws be properly enforced. I make no apologies for saying it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm just seeing whether you lot can debate something without making it deteriorate into a slanging match, simply because I don't agree with you. Make no mistake - I stand by what I said. Drugs should remain illegal, and laws be properly enforced. I make no apologies for saying it.

aye well your 'views' make you out to be nothing short of a stuck up cunt

have you not realised your attitude seems makes you a very dislikeable person ?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Yawn.

You've been given enough valid points and arguments to debate upon. But you step around them and continue to bleat.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Drugs should remain illegal

Why?

What are the main problems caused by drugs? Now ask yourself how law affects these problems.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    i think its pretty clear that the current drug laws are ineffective

drug use should be a personal choice, why should the governemnt decide whether or not you can put certain chemicals into your body?

the vast majority of drugs are relatively harmless if used properly, the government fails to provide effective harm minimisation information for a start, if people had a firm understanding of the effects and dangers of drugs, there would be a lot less drug related problems

the DEMAND for drugs is always going to be there, no matter how harsh the penalties, therefore drugs are always going to be in the hands of criminals and open to contamination due to impurities being added for profit until the government comes up with some sort of alternative

legalistation of certain susbtances is definatly the way forward ..i dont think you should be able to walk into your local corner shop and buy some smack, but drug control should be put into the hands of someone with proper authority

i have no idea of what kind of system they could create, but the current one is pathetic, and half of these drugs shouldnt have been outlawed in the first place

its just very frustating when someone who has no clue about drugs apart from all the anti drug bullshit propaganda they've been fed at school etc comes on and starts suggesting i should be thrown in jail for taking a few pills etc occassionally

Well fucking said! :thumb:

I'm sick and tired of hearing these wankers who think they know what they're talking about when they quite clearly doesn't. The people who thinks ecstacy pills and joints are killers, that they will be the downfall of society. Stargalaxy is one. He hears what he says on the news and papers and believes it all.

SG-here's a starter point in your education of drugs www.erowid.org
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    You've been given enough valid points and arguments to debate upon. But you step around them and continue to bleat.
    Alright then, try this. You keep saying I'm bleating, well these are my concerns. Let's say all of these drugs were legalised, whether in Class A, B or C, they all suddenly became legit.

(1) Would the number of people using these drugs change?
    (2) No one under 16 can legally buy tobacco, for instance. Would you like to see some sort of limit like that on these other substances too?
    turlough wrote:
    SG-here's a starter point in your education of drugs www.erowid.org
    Alright, I'll look at it now.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:

Probably rise a little. But why is that a problem? People being able to do safer drugs, without the risk of prosecution.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    (2) No one under 16 can legally buy tobacco, for instance. Would you like to see some sort of limit like that on these other substances too?

Of course.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Alright, I'll look at it now.

Check out the ecstasy rising thread in drugs. Good introduction to the ecstasy debate.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Yes, most likely the numbers would go down I don't have the figures at hand but in Netherlands where cannabis is legal in certain shops, there are less teenage smokers of the drug there than the UK. In the US during Prohibition era alochol usage rocketed with the creation of speakeasys and guess who controlled them, mafia criminals. Just like the criminals who control the market today.

(2) No one under 16 can legally buy tobacco, for instance. Would you like to see some sort of limit like that on these other substances too? [/QUOTE]

Yes, cigarettes are a lot more dangerous than a lot of drugs. As is alcohol.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Hard to say. I doubt it would change significantly. I'd still rather have young people buying drugs from Boots rather than a dealer though.

Yes, definitely. A limit on quantities (i.e. control) would be beneficial as well.
  • Options
    i can't believe that such well educated and intelligent people can be so closed minded on this issue.
    one of the key points for me is that alot of people die from bad mixes of drugs every year,surly this has to a consideration for the "lock em up" brigade?
    legalisation would go a long way imo
  • Options
    hmmm, Aladdin makes a good point you know, there is this movement to make Smoking illegal, they are certainly trying to drive it out of the country by banning it all over are they not. If drugs should be legal and available, why cant everyone who wants to smoke be allowed to where they want? It is the same thing, is it not! You damage yourself with cigerettes but enjoy them, you damage yourself with drugs, but you enjoy them, why whould one be legal and one illegal, that is very hypocritical of the man.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    hmmm, Aladdin makes a good point you know, there is this movement to make Smoking illegal, they are certainly trying to drive it out of the country by banning it all over are they not. If drugs should be legal and available, why cant everyone who wants to smoke be allowed to where they want? It is the same thing, is it not! You damage yourself with cigerettes but enjoy them, you damage yourself with drugs, but you enjoy them, why whould one be legal and one illegal, that is very hypocritical of the man.

doesnt matter if you are pro smoking or anti smoking, smoking in a public area can damage someone else, the effects of a pill only affect the user, not putting any members of public at risk to the physical effects exerted by the pill or drug in question

where as smoking can and does damage other people
  • Options
    AH, so when we say drugs, we only mean pills, no drugs that can be smoked or affect behaviour towards others or involve needles or anything that might slip from the hand by accident?

I just want to be clear about this because the more this is debated the more its getting confusing which drugs count and which dont.
  • Options
    Noone wants to make smoking illegal. They just want to eradicate from public areas which seems fair enough.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

I'll ask you again - what laws aren't being enforced?
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Noone wants to make smoking illegal. They just want to eradicate from public areas which seems fair enough.

And if they do eradicate it from public area, should we do the same for drugs if we legalise them? make them only for use in the home?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    And if they do eradicate it from public area, should we do the same for drugs if we legalise them? make them only for use in the home?

Passive smoking harms people. Just give smokable drugs the same restrictions as cigarettes. Not in pubs etc. Is this not simple?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

If the new legislation is to be upheld in conjuction with the legalisation of drugs, then cannabis (and anything else requiring substantial smoking) would logically be on par with cigarettes. Although the physical health effects are a matter for debate the smoke is too pungent to be filling pubs etc. Establishment of a Dutch-style coffee culture would be sensible.

There is obviously no reason for similar restrictions on powders, pills etc. :confused:
  • Options
    You are right, pills would probably need no location restrictions for use. Powders, i think can be debated, anything involving needles though is obviously answered.

Turned out to be an interesting thread, this one.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    You are right, pills would probably need no location restrictions for use. Powders, i think can be debated, anything involving needles though is obviously answered.

Turned out to be an interesting thread, this one.

You would be able to, unlike now, seperate recreational drug users away from potentially addictive drugs like crack and heroin.

So when debating it we have to look at the two issues seperately.

Recreational drugs should be sold in controlled doses to people who are given clear and simple information about the drug.

Addicts and those with problematic use should be given subsitute prescriptions (such as heroin), residential help and good quality help quiting.