Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

V for Vendetta

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Very good - go and see it.

Mad as a hatstand with some amazing imagery and more than the odd bit of allegory. Oh and Stephen Fry is brilliant.

http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/index2.html
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I was going to post this thread if no-one else did. Saw it saturday night, have been waxing lyrical ever since. The whole film is superb.
  • Options
    I've read loads of reviews of this and they've given me no insight since they either seem to adore it or pan it completely.

I'll reserve judgement until I see it; though it can't be a complete loss if Hugo Weaving and Stephen Fry are in it.
  • Options
    It's a film about a "good" terrorist, perscution of minorities such as muslims and gay people and all the reviews from members of the public say it's ace and all the ones from places like the BBC and daily mail say it's awful.

Hmmmmmmm................
  • Options
    Anyone who pan's it completely watched it with their arse.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    TOP FILM!

First Monarchist film in AGES I say - And good to boot! :lol:
  • Options
    The book rocks. Haven't seen the film yet though.
  • Options
    The film was good, but it didnt translate from the book well.

The films story is fantastic although i think it woul dhave been better had it been cut down abit, as in less of the Anarchist V in his hideout and less of his never ending yappy chatting.

The political intrigue was the best part, as the police inspector uncovers the truth of his government.
  • Options
    Your right, it's not a great translation of the book. (Although "Evey" is almost entirely left as it was)

They have made something different out of it, which works on it's own.

Best scene?

V and the last person he delivers a Scarlet Carson to. (Not saying why so no spoliers but you'll know what I mean if you seen the film.)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah... as with any book/film transition alot get missed and changed.

But as they go, I say this one is good, although different rather.
  • Options
    You sir are correct, it's one of those rare moments in cinema where you go "oh that's nice". The screenplay was SO well done. Just fantastic.
  • Options
    Well I saw it and as a film its good, affects nice, acting pretty good but its not brillent. Confusing in parts and about as subtle as a brick.

Unrealistic to and fairly flawed, Guy Fawkes was never a hero they make him out to be. He didn't try to blow up parliment for the people but rather as part of relgious conflict.

It has a dodgy ending to.

Its good but not as great as some are saying,
  • Options
    Fucking great graphic novel, almost afraid to watch this given how much I loved that
  • Options
    I haven't read the novel but my mate told me what happens in the novel and how it compares to the film, seems to me the film is nothing like the novel except for the the few obvious visual similarities.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Fucking great graphic novel, almost afraid to watch this given how much I loved that
    You won't be disappointed with the film if you go to watch it as a great film in its own right.
  • Options
    Good film.

Made me worry about our own situation with regards to erosion of freedom etc

The stuff at the start about Guy Fawkes was a bit pointless though. Glad they didn't have his mask removed or a 'I am your father' cliche at the end either
  • Options
    Hmmm... okay, saw the movie and I did like it but most of the subtlety is gone from the book.

It's a much more directed approach to the politics, the ending of the original had much more to say about anarchy vs. chaos.

Many of the best moments are inevitably gone, though understandably given the length of the film - the gardening, the communion wafer, the dolls, the policeman's trip to Larkhill stuffed with LSD, the betrayal of the computer, the glasgow gangs and Evey's dancer/stripper escape, the vouyer dying in front of his own camers, in fact most of the characters.

And in the end the leaders of the fascist government get off too easily, in the comic it's much more psychologically devastating.

Biggest problem has to be Hugo Weaving though - for whatever reason his still appearance should have been contrasted with a forceful and dynamic performance, not something as still as his - though that might have been due to the director.

Still the film was good, but I'd highly recommend people watch the graphic novel (never really feels like reading when David Llyods art works) to see what was really going on at times.
  • Options
    yeah I'd wager the graphic novel was better.

the film, the more I think about it, was pretty crap.

The music was great but not suited to the scenes it was set to.

Natalie Portman was gorgeous.

Stephan Fry put in another great performance.

Other then that, poor.
  • Options
    I thought it was a good film, but I agree it wasnt subtle. Cant compare to the book as I haven't seen it, but it was a good film. It did come off to me as perhaps michael moore was a producer :p with the amount of 'oh noes the government is evil'. I suppose thats the plot though, it was just too... in your face for me at times. Too black and white, if you're in the government you're evil, if you're not you're good.

Suppose its a piece of fiction though.
  • Options
    I thought it was a good film, but I agree it wasnt subtle. Cant compare to the book as I haven't seen it, but it was a good film. It did come off to me as perhaps michael moore was a producer :p with the amount of 'oh noes the government is evil'. I suppose thats the plot though, it was just too... in your face for me at times. Too black and white, if you're in the government you're evil, if you're not you're good.

Suppose its a piece of fiction though.

it doesn't quite though, the copper at the end realises the truth, and this is a specific government, it doesnt apply the same to all politicians
  • Options
    Just watched it, excellent movie.
  • Options
    it doesn't quite though, the copper at the end realises the truth, and this is a specific government, it doesnt apply the same to all politicians

Although the point of the original book is that all governments will end up the same way.
  • Options
    Went to see it today. Liked it, thought it was quite powerful in parts, but lots of plot holes, too heavy handed overall and the end was cheesy.
  • Options
    I watched it on tuesday realy liked it but would really like to read the graphic novel, who's it by Jim?
  • Options
    Alan Moore & David Lloyd. Moore has disowned the film.
  • Options
    To be fair Moore has universally disowned all film adaptions of his work due to his problems wioth DC/Warner and the end of ABC, so it may be unfair to imply he particuarly hated this one - compared to League of Gentlemen and From Hell (which were both revoltingly insulting adaptions) it's a fucking masterpiece.

Though it does lack the political realism of the later parts of the graphic novel and the realism running throughout. That V dialogue at the start is more proof that the W brothers can never be allowed to write a single line of dialogue ever again (if the architect wasn't bad enough).
  • Options
    I quite liked From Hell. :o Haven't read the book though.
  • Options
    The League of extraordinary Gentlemen was a great film and very well done, just like the comics, to say it was a poor adaption is a mistake, it is just not a comic for everybodies tastes. Though i found the killing of Dorian Gray a mistake.

From Hell sucked!
  • Options
    I thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was utter shit.
  • Options
    how do you get the thing under your name to say brum scum?
  • Options
    not telling :p