Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Car stuff - Men only :p

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    has it ever had a new cam belt?
    first thing you should have done when you got it ...if you aint got any papers saying its already been done.
    cam belt snaps ...bye bye engine.
    about a hundred and fifty quid every sixty thou.

Don't they degrade with time, too?
  • Options
    Didn't Deano say something about chain drive?
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    if it has a chain as opposed to a belt ...then it is unlikely to ever go ...so long as it has always had clean ...ish oil.
    and if a chain is going to go ...you usualy get a warning for quite some time ...you can hear the chain slapping.

with a belt ...no warning ...engine gone.
    change belt every 60'000 or so.
  • Options
    with a belt ...no warning ...engine gone.
    change belt every 60'000 or so.
    I just put a new belt on with my 2.7 V6 Rover 800.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    good man ...it's the very first thing you do when you buy a second hander.
    and if it's petrol ...a new set of plugs and dizzy cap ...do they still have dzzy caps ...>
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    yes,your engine has a chain.there was a recall on some years on that engine.(inadequate oil feeds and weak chains).if its rattling then you must get it checked out.i used to work for a vauxhall dealer and i fitted quite a few.
  • Options
    By rattling i mean that at first it sounds normal, but after a hard bashing it starts to sound vaguely like a tractor. Maybe JsT could help me out given his yorkie roots :p
  • Options
    Its only 6 years old!!

Assuming the car runs fine then check oil, water, tyre pressure and off ya go!

I went up to Scotland and back (almsot 500 miles) in 2 days in my 1993 1.5 civic no problemo.
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    *yawn*

i'm so glad i'm not a boy.
    You're missing out on a hell of a lot.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:

Praise the lord for not letting you have the nasty KV6 engined model! Check out the pricing for having a cambelt done on that! ;)

If you like the roar of an engine, remove the inlet piping before the air-filter. It sounds absolutely spectacular when you open the throttle, yet still purrs when being used gently.

One of the nicest engines I've ever owned. I love Honda :). Best thing Rover ever did was use Honda engines :).
  • Options
    good man ...it's the very first thing you do when you buy a second hander.
    Sorry, I was unclear. When my cam belt snapped, I just put another one on. A lovely car, but environmentally irresponsible. And I got really lazy with gear changes - I'd just use 2nd and 5th.
  • Options
    I want to thank everyone for helping Doofay because I am going to be in the car on that trip and if it breaks down I will hurt him.
  • Options
    Haha, i've had no problems so far touch wood :p

Except my brakes squeaking a bit, argh driving me mad. They can't be worn yet really given the MOT was done the week before i got it.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    Haha, i've had no problems so far touch wood :p

Except my brakes squeaking a bit, argh driving me mad. They can't be worn yet really given the MOT was done the week before i got it.

i don't want to worry you,but an m.o.t certificate is no guarantee that the cars brakes don't need replacing.a car with wafer thin brake pads will still pass an m.o.t.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i don't want to worry you,but an m.o.t certificate is no guarantee that the cars brakes don't need replacing.a car with wafer thin brake pads will still pass an m.o.t.
    Will that likely be the cause of the squeak though? because the noise doesn't sound like the metal on metal i've heard from my mates' motorbikes, and doesn't seem to happen when i brake gradually.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    Will that likely be the cause of the squeak though? because the noise doesn't sound like the metal on metal i've heard from my mates' motorbikes, and doesn't seem to happen when i brake gradually.

My brakes started squeaking, went in for MOT and it passed and all they said was they were wearing. I swear a week later the metal on metal started and it fucked my car right up.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    LacyMay wrote:
    My brakes started squeaking, went in for MOT and it passed and all they said was they were wearing. I swear a week later the metal on metal started and it fucked my car right up.

Aye, happened to our BMW... ended up with a fuckoff groove round the whole brake disc. Cunts. MOT people should replae them if they are that low. But, they don't.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    squeaky brakes don't mean they are worn out,no.the brake pads can get glazed causing this problem.
    i was pointing out that an m.o.t certificate is not proof of road worthiness.a simple inspection of the brakes would put your mind at rest.....btw you only just posted this so i'm still confused.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Aye, happened to our BMW... ended up with a fuckoff groove round the whole brake disc. Cunts. MOT people should replae them if they are that low. But, they don't.
    mot testers are licensed by "vosa",and have to carry out mot tests to a "minimum" standard.they can only advise on conponents that look like they don't have much life left in them.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    MOT people should replace them if they are that low. But, they don't.
    Not unless you are having an MOT and service.

The MOT test is restricted to what can be checked without any dismantling of the car - taking your wheels off to look at your brakes isn't allowed.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:

The MOT test is restricted to what can be checked without any dismantling of the car - taking your wheels off to look at your brakes isn't allowed.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I think they should, as in, should... but don't have to. If something is within weeks of wearing out, it should be compulsory to get it replaced.
  • Options
    But what wears out in a few weeks of motorway crusing will wear out at a very different rate when being used for the school run.

All the MOT does is inspect the vehicle for roadworthiness on that day. The tester will generally point out anything that is likely to need replacing in the near future.

Brakes can squeal from new - they can also be completely silent when absolutely knackered. The only real way to check them is to remove the wheel and visually check the pads for the amount of friction material left on them. Most pads these days have wear indicators - metal on metal will occur at the point where the pads should be replaced.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

It takes a while to grind metal out of the disc. The MOT people should have pointed it out to you - but YOU, as the owner and driver of the vehicle, should have had the pads replaced. Metal on metal contact is very easy to hear, and it takes a good long while to damage the disc.
    LacyMay wrote:

How did it fuck your car up?
  • Options
    It takes a while to grind metal out of the disc. The MOT people should have pointed it out to you - but YOU, as the owner and driver of the vehicle, should have had the pads replaced. Metal on metal contact is very easy to hear, and it takes a good long while to damage the disc.

Aye, perhaps if it didn't happen halfway on a journey oop north my dad might have.

As such, we didn't bother. BTW... why do breaks always seem make a nasty noise when it is cold, but once they warm up their OK?
  • Options
    Discs corrode very quickly. As the brakes are used, the corrosion is taken off the disc quite quickly - pads can be noisy as well, as the surface can become glazed over.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    but should i make sure to stop at a couple of service stations on the way,

Your car won't need pit stops really but i'd advice you to have a couple enroute.
    briggi wrote:
    The only thing I ever think to check are my tyres, I'm convinced they'll be the death of me. Paranoid much? :p

When seeing as the tyres are your only point of contact between you & the road then being paranoid about them is not a bad thing:)
  • Options
    Apart from the under the bonnet stuff, don't forget simple things like your lights and indicators, and make sure your mirrors are properly adjusted for motorway driving. Always check your blindspot.

If you've done 3000 miles in 2 months, another 400 to London and back is nothing.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:

correct!....the m.o.t test explained. :thumb: