Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police chief calls for drug legalisation

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    subject13 wrote:
    What about when you are addicted and can not afford to pay for drugs so you turn to crime to achieve the neccessary money to pay for drugs?

You've just presented a good argument for legalisation there. Well done.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

As for drugs, my point is even when they are legal, drugs will still be abused as people will still be addicted to them, like people become addicted and dependent on cigerettes and alcohol.

Gangsters don't fight turf wars over the control of the alcohol and tobacco markets. People don't generally rob houses to pay for their alcohol or tobacco addictions. You've just presented another good case for legalisation of drugs. You're good at this!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I agree with that Aladdin, it is just the long term effects of access to drugs to people. i know keeping them illegal does nothing now to stop them, but what about the addictivity of drugs as a problem?

Am i just been naive of how addictive drugs are?

Which drugs? What do you mean by "addiction"?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    How come all these lefties are calling for nasty substances like heroin to be legalised, but also calling for restrictions on where people can smoke tobacco on the grounds of very shaky evidence of passive smoking?

Which "lefties" are calling for a ban on restricting smoking? Name them.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Answer: they like to pretend that drugs like cannabis, ecstasy, heroin and the like are all completely harmless.

Do they? Name them and quote them.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    They deliberate keep quiet about it. What about the lives ruined by drug abuse, by drug addiction? Drugs destroy lives and yes, they make a fortune for criminal gangs. So, what's the answer?

Errrrmmm...I work in substance misuse. I'm well aware of the damage that drugs do. I'm also aware that the damage could be minimised by legalisation, as are most people who work in substance misuse.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    How about actually enforcing the law for a change?

Errr...the law is enforced.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Exactly. And you've let the cat out of the bag. Advocates of legalising every substance known to man are keen to gloss over the effects of these nasty drugs. And can they be blamed? After all, if everyone knew the true effects of drugs, nobody in their right minds would legalise them. (then again, we have a Labour government in charge, so abject surrender is all we can expect. Not that it would be any different under David "I won't say if I smoked pot" Cameron's Tories.)

You don't actually have a clue what you're on about. Which drugs are you talking about here?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You want me to go into detail about every effect known to man about every illegal drug in the UK? There's a 10,000 character limit on posts... :p They aren't, but then again, the law isn't being enforced. This is typical attention-seeking behaviour from Richard Brunstrom. I feel depressed at the mere fact he's in charge of policing where I live too. :(

Translation - I don't know what I'm on about.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I've worked with heroin addicts, so has Blagsta, and they are pathetic.

I wouldn't call heroin addicts pathetic. Troubled yes. Pathetic, no.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Okay, so most people here seem to admit that drugs do some harm, so that's out of the way. This legalisation question... we're all agreed the current laws don't seem to be working, for a mix of reasons. My concern with legalising these drugs is this - could it lead to massive increases in the number of people hooked on heroin, for example? I'm open to persuasion here, but I'm not yet convinced.

Are you "hooked" on alcohol? If not, why not?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What highly sensitive views? All I have said is I believe that drugs laws are not being enforced, that things aren't working too well, that laws need to be enforced properly whatever they may be, and that I'm not sure about legalising the whole lot. Doesn't sound particularly new or revolutionary.

Which laws aren't being enforced properly?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What highly sensitive views? All I have said is I believe that drugs laws are not being enforced, that things aren't working too well, that laws need to be enforced properly whatever they may be, and that I'm not sure about legalising the whole lot. Doesn't sound particularly new or revolutionary.

Why do drugs laws need to be enforced? You still haven't come up with even one reason.

It's undeniable that liberalisation would help addicts and virtually negate drug-related crime and it's fascistic to suggest that people should be prosecuted for making a personal choice which affects no-one but themselves and indeed may very well improve their lives.

So come on...why?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    As for drugs, my point is even when they are legal, drugs will still be abused as people will still be addicted to them, like people become addicted and dependent on cigerettes and alcohol.

Legalisation of drugs means addicts can be supplied on the NHS so drug-related crime is negated, people are allowed to make a rightful choice without fascistic persecution and organised crime suffers a major blow.

Illegality gives us a massive crime problem, health problems through black market supply (contamination of heroin is a big one...otherwise a perfectly safe drug physically, prohibition effectively kills injecting users), is the single biggest fund raiser for organised criminals and infringes despicably upon people's rights as autonomous individuals....so how can you justify it?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

What benefits does illegal status bring us?
    well if us ...includes organised crime and terrorists ...the uk are donating up to ten billion quid a year in tax free readies!
  • Options
    You see i like how Spliffie actually takes time to type up an answer and make a point but all Blagsta can do is single out quotes, miss their point and context and ramble on with never ending questions that are pretty obviously answered.

Good on you Spliffie!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    You see i like how Spliffie actually takes time to type up an answer and make a point but all Blagsta can do is single out quotes, miss their point and context and ramble on with never ending questions that are pretty obviously answered.

Good on you Spliffie!

You're not actually reading my posts properly are you? If you bothered responding to them, you'd see where I was going. But no, you'd rather just thrown your toys out of the pram. :rolleyes: Way to fucking go eh?
  • Options
    Dude, i read them, Morrocan is right about you. And yes, you are the one throwing your toys out of your pram because you are like a little child on this board.

Get over it.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Dude, i read them, Morrocan is right about you. And yes, you are the one throwing your toys out of your pram because you are like a little child on this board.

Get over it.

You're just agreeing with mr 'cos you're deflecting from the fact that you ain't got a leg to stand on in this debate. I do have a robust debating style, but this ain't the fucking nursery is it?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Another perfectlty good thread turns into a boring slangin' match. boo
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

Good on you Spliffie!

That's because i was smoking a doobie and he wasn't :thumb:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I do have a robust debating style, ?
    :lol::heart:

now i know why i was missing you so much blag ...i'm nearly crying here! :D
  • Options
    I'm not the only one asking questions of you subject13, to clarify what you mean and what you're understanding is. So why single me out?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not the only one asking questions of you subject13, to clarify what you mean and what you're understanding is. So why single me out?
    i think it's that robust style that does it mate.
  • Options
    i think it's that robust style that does it mate.

Aahhhh, well guess what? I don't give a fuck :p

;)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    im begining to think why he has singled you out as well
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    im begining to think why he has singled you out as well

What? 'cos I swear a bit? Fuck me, bit sensitive you lot. Guess what? I'm mostly having a laugh on here, same as you. Get a grip.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What? 'cos I swear a bit? .
    way to miss the point blag.
  • Options
    way to miss the point blag.

I like an argument? Is that it? Don't we all? That's why we're all here after all. Stop taking it so seriously. Lighten up.
  • Options
    LOL

Nice one Rolly. :thumb:
  • Options
    Blagsta, on this thread, i was asking questions, in one post because i was hoping for an answer or something. There is no leg to stand on because at the moment i have no stand. And on here only you are asking question because you didnt seem to realise i was asking questions of the thread topic not making wild statements. You singled me out so thats why i thought i would return the favour! So calm down and take a breath.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Blagsta, on this thread, i was asking questions, in one post because i was hoping for an answer or something. There is no leg to stand on because at the moment i have no stand. And on here only you are asking question because you didnt seem to realise i was asking questions of the thread topic not making wild statements. You singled me out so thats why i thought i would return the favour! So calm down and take a breath.

I was pointing out (Ok admittedly in a sarcastic way) that some of your points were actually in favour of legalisation if you thought about them a bit more. I was also asking you questions to clarify your position and understanding. If you'd gone with it, we wouldn't be having this idiotic exchange. I'm not singling you out, you're paranoid!
  • Options
    Here's a not so good proposal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4824122.stm

Fucking ridiculous...so there's little doubt the buffoons who comprise the Scottish Executive will give it their full support.