Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police chief calls for drug legalisation

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    How come all these lefties are calling for nasty substances like heroin to be legalised, but also calling for restrictions on where people can smoke tobacco on the grounds of very shaky evidence of passive smoking? Answer: they like to pretend that drugs like cannabis, ecstasy, heroin and the like are all completely harmless. They deliberate keep quiet about it. What about the lives ruined by drug abuse, by drug addiction? Drugs destroy lives and yes, they make a fortune for criminal gangs. So, what's the answer? How about actually enforcing the law for a change?

No one wants heroin legalised, people who deal with addicts want it on prescription, so that addicts who are addicted dont have to steal to get the heroin they need.

No one is saying they are harmless, where did they say that?

Is the current law working to stop drug use and addiction?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    So, what's the answer? How about actually enforcing the law for a change?

Can you tell me a government other than the Taliban which has gotten rid of drug use through enforcement of the law?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    How come all these lefties are calling for nasty substances like heroin to be legalised,

It's nastier becuase it's illegal.

stargalaxy wrote:
    they like to pretend that drugs like cannabis, ecstasy, heroin and the like are all completely harmless.

Who's said antything of the sort?

stargalaxy wrote:
    They deliberate keep quiet about it. What about the lives ruined by drug abuse, by drug addiction? Drugs destroy lives and yes, they make a fortune for criminal gangs.

Mainly because they're illegal.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    So, what's the answer? How about actually enforcing the law for a change?

Go on... how?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No one is saying they are harmless, where did they say that?
    Exactly. And you've let the cat out of the bag. Advocates of legalising every substance known to man are keen to gloss over the effects of these nasty drugs. And can they be blamed? After all, if everyone knew the true effects of drugs, nobody in their right minds would legalise them. (then again, we have a Labour government in charge, so abject surrender is all we can expect. Not that it would be any different under David "I won't say if I smoked pot" Cameron's Tories.)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Exactly. And you've let the cat out of the bag. Advocates of legalising every substance known to man are keen to gloss over the effects of these nasty drugs. And can they be blamed? After all, if everyone knew the true effects of drugs, nobody in their right minds would legalise them. (then again, we have a Labour government in charge, so abject surrender is all we can expect. Not that it would be any different under David "I won't say if I smoked pot" Cameron's Tories.)

So what are their really nasty effects then?

And how are these nasty side effects being reduced by the current law?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Well, why do we have speed limits? Taking drugs is as dangerous as driving fast after all.

If you could explain to me how taking cocaine in the privacy of my own home kills children, then I'm all ears.

Oh, you can't.
    Same with parking, fucking Traffic Wardens!!!!

I quite agree.

How dare they fine you for parking on a street where you're not allowed to? Normally for a very good reason.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So what are their really nasty effects then?
    You want me to go into detail about every effect known to man about every illegal drug in the UK? There's a 10,000 character limit on posts... :p
    And how are these nasty side effects being reduced by the current law?
    They aren't, but then again, the law isn't being enforced. This is typical attention-seeking behaviour from Richard Brunstrom. I feel depressed at the mere fact he's in charge of policing where I live too. :(
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    After all, if everyone knew the true effects of drugs, nobody in their right minds would legalise them.

Abosoute garbage. What are these true effects?

If everybody knew and understood the damage prohibition does, then it would be very different. Unfortunately there are few too many sheep out there willing to believe anything the government tells you.
    Go and check out my 'Ecstasy Rising' thread in drugs.

The law as it stands is a failure and only serves to make things much worse.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Advocates of legalising every substance known to man are keen to gloss over the effects of these nasty drugs.

No, they aren't.

Heroin, for instance, is quite a nasty drug. Physiologically its not that bad, but it is very addictive.

What they are saying is that the anti-drugs legislation doesn't work. It doesn't stop people taking heroin, all it does is place the supply of it with violent criminal gangs, who make an awful lot of money out of perpetuating misery.

People get killed because of these gangs. Take the drugs out of their hands, there isn't the money for them, and it stops the killing. What is so bad about that argument?

I've worked with heroin addicts, so has Blagsta, and they are pathetic. But criminalising them for carrying a wrap of brown with them does nobody no good. Jailing them for years for giving one of those wraps to a mate does untold damage.

And as for the "legalising drugs will promote use" argument. Tobacco is a legally allowed drug, but less than 20% of the population take it on a regular basis. Surely if legalisation promotes use, everyone would take extravagant quantities of tobacco all the time?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    They aren't, but then again, the law isn't being enforced.

You will never be able to stop people taking drugs. The only way to control drugs is to bring them within the law.

Look at alcohol prohibition in the US.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    stargalaxy ...
    there was a time when cannabis cocaine morphine heroin opium ...were legal and massively popular and fashionable ...what problems was the country having with so many people indulging?
  • Options
    Okay, so most people here seem to admit that drugs do some harm, so that's out of the way. This legalisation question... we're all agreed the current laws don't seem to be working, for a mix of reasons. My concern with legalising these drugs is this - could it lead to massive increases in the number of people hooked on heroin, for example? I'm open to persuasion here, but I'm not yet convinced.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Okay, so most people here seem to admit that drugs do some harm, so that's out of the way. This legalisation question... we're all agreed the current laws don't seem to be working, for a mix of reasons. My concern with legalising these drugs is this - could it lead to massive increases in the number of people hooked on heroin, for example? I'm open to persuasion here, but I'm not yet convinced.
    amsterdam ae very lax but pro active regarding heroin ...result?
    the average age of heroin users is mid forties plus ...meaning less and less young people are taking up the habit.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    could it lead to massive increases in the number of people hooked on heroin, for example?

If you could buy Heroin at Boots, would you?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you could buy Heroin at Boots, would you?
    Not personally, no.

It would most probably be right next to some moisturisers or something like that...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    How come all these lefties are calling for nasty substances like heroin to be legalised, but also calling for restrictions on where people can smoke tobacco on the grounds of very shaky evidence of passive smoking? Answer: they like to pretend that drugs like cannabis, ecstasy, heroin and the like are all completely harmless. How about actually enforcing the law for a change?
    No one has said they are harmless. But the difference is that a heroin addict injecting himself has no health repercussions on you. But people smoking cigarettes do have a negatice impact on your health.
  • Options
    And if we are to ban drugs on the basis that they are harmful, then we should have alcohol and cigarettes banned altogether. Can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    who trusts politicians? not SG foer sure.
    how about the big drug companies?
    they dole out all manner of things to make you feel better ...cheer you up ...give you a hardon ...this is ok?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You want me to go into detail about every effect known to man about every illegal drug in the UK? There's a 10,000 character limit on posts... :p

This is typical attention-seeking behaviour from Richard Brunstrom. I feel depressed at the mere fact he's in charge of policing where I live too. :(

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    just been watching skives docu ...it mentions two deaths directly caused by xtc ..out of an estimated hundred and ten million doses ...

how do legal drugs match up on that score ...relaxing drugs ...mood lifting drugs ...hardon drugs etc ...?
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    What? :eek2:
  • Options
    its me

rolling my eyes

at you
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    its me

rolling my eyes

at you

as soon as i saw them eyes i knew you should be thrown in hmp stargalaxy!
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What? :eek2:

Do you think I should go to prisong for my drug use? After all I have used and given other people Class A drugs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Do you think I should go to prison for my drug use? After all I have used and given other people Class A drugs.
    Please don't try and make this debate personal. It would be hugely inappropriate to answer something like that.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Please don't try and make this debate personal. It would be hugely inappropriate to answer something like that.

you are the one is is making it personall by expressing highly sensitive views and pressing them onto the boards
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you are the one is is making it personall by expressing highly sensitive views and pressing them onto the boards
    What highly sensitive views? All I have said is I believe that drugs laws are not being enforced, that things aren't working too well, that laws need to be enforced properly whatever they may be, and that I'm not sure about legalising the whole lot. Doesn't sound particularly new or revolutionary.
  • Options
    The current substance laws are backward and in need of reform.

I think it'd make a real difference. It's a great (but not surprising) shame that the government are more interested in appealing to the moron massive that vote for them, rather than doing anything useful.
  • Options
    save talk of drugs, i think stargalaxy has been on the catnip again