Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police chief calls for drug legalisation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4802830.stm

when is anyone gonna start listening?

Comments

• Options
    Its a shame many other people in ACPO think he's a bit of a nut.

Its plainly the truth though, make them illegal and you create the biggest money spinner criminals have ever seen.
  • Options
    It is so obviously the truth, and it seems the intelligent coppers know this, but obviously legalising drugs is "soft on crime".
  • Options
    I hope this does at least get some debate started...I have to say I totally agree with him, by the way.
  • Options
    I suspect many politicians know this but few are going to have the guts to say it (specially if they have anything to lose). The media would be quick to lynch them :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    I hope this does at least get some debate started...I have to say I totally agree with him, by the way.

He's said it before, and no, it wont start a debate because anything other than 'cracking down hard on the pushers of evil' is wolly lefty liberalism and means we just want to hug and kiss crack dealers.
  • Options
    Look what happened to Brian Paddick when he introduced a so-called softly softly policy on cannabis... hounded out of his job after sustained hatred campaign by the fucking Daily Mail.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Look what happened to Brian Paddick when he introduced a so-called softly softly policy on cannabis... hounded out of his job after sustained hatred campaign by the fucking Daily Mail.

But doing one area of London alone was stupid, it basically lead to people going there to buy, which is rubbish. But I suppose it was a half arsed small step in the right direction.
  • Options
    Why stop at drugs though, why not legalise lots of things that are illegal?
  • Options
    Could you give an example of the "lots of things that are illegal" that could concievably be legalised?
  • Options
    Well, why do we have speed limits? Taking drugs is as dangerous as driving fast after all. Both are money makers, you can sell drugs make money, you fine people for speeding so police can make money. That money making element means it will remain illegal though. Same with parking, fucking Traffic Wardens!!!!
  • Options
    No matter how controlled a drug is, it is still addictive is it not? It can still have an accumulative damaging effect can it not? Its effects can gradually become less felt and so need to needing larger and ever more frequent amounts, is it not so?

Seems they are always going to be dangerous really.

And traffic wardens do not obey any rules around here. You park outside a shop with a sign up saying, loading bay for vans, and your in a van and begin unloading your van to make a delivery they still come up and put a ticket on your van and say clearly, the sign is only a suggestion, if you confront them over it.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Well, why do we have speed limits? Taking drugs is as dangerous as driving fast after all. Both are money makers, you can sell drugs make money, you fine people for speeding so police can make money. That money making element means it will remain illegal though. Same with parking, fucking Traffic Wardens!!!!
    Because there are limits to how safe a road is based on the speed you drive at.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    And traffic wardens do not obey any rules around here. You park outside a shop with a sign up saying, loading bay for vans, and your in a van and begin unloading your van to make a delivery they still come up and put a ticket on your van and say clearly, the sign is only a suggestion, if you confront them over it.

For loading/unloading there needs to be someone in attendance at the van at all times.
  • Options
    Well, not really if what you are taking in drug form is smoked for instance, other around you affected. If you then in a state of intoxication decide to go out and drive it is not your own health. What about when you are addicted and can not afford to pay for drugs so you turn to crime to achieve the neccessary money to pay for drugs?

Maybe, speed limits isnt a good example, but legalising all drugs will decrease the problem not eradicate it. Its best beneift is to take money away from criminals i agree, but not remove the drug problem of users.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    For loading/unloading there needs to be someone in attendance at the van at all times.

So you read my account of events then ignored what it said just so you could try and be right in another post? There was someone stood by the van at all times.
  • Options
    Get a better example.

Drug problems are to do with the abuse of a drug and the quality of a drug not purely the drug in and of itself.
  • Options
    No, the example is real!

Traffic wardens act with impunity, even when your in a parking zone and paid to park they give you a ticket coz the front bumber is slightly over a line by a fraction of an inch.

You need to realise when your wrong.

As for drugs, my point is even when they are legal, drugs will still be abused as people will still be addicted to them, like people become addicted and dependent on cigerettes and alcohol.
  • Options
    Technically they are correct, even if they are being total twats about it. It's also a rubbish example because there needs to be restriction on parking.
  • Options
    The idea of legalising drugs is to eliminate the illegal drug trade that causes so much crime and misery- not to mention a black market economy that is worth many billions per year.
  • Options
    I agree with that Aladdin, it is just the long term effects of access to drugs to people. i know keeping them illegal does nothing now to stop them, but what about the addictivity of drugs as a problem?

Am i just been naive of how addictive drugs are?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    As for drugs, my point is even when they are legal, drugs will still be abused as people will still be addicted to them, like people become addicted and dependent on cigerettes and alcohol.

How many drinks companies have an armed militia?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I agree with that Aladdin, it is just the long term effects of access to drugs to people. i know keeping them illegal does nothing now to stop them, but what about the addictivity of drugs as a problem?

well i've been taking them for 37years.
    run my own business ...fit healthy active ...

only ten percent of users have any kind of problem.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

Drugs arent one thing, some are addictive certainly, but others although they can be habit forming are hardly going to lead to rack and ruin for most users.

But the point isnt that legal supply would be great for everyone, its that illegal supply has no benefits and lots of down sides.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

Many things are harmful to us. But ultimately it is up to the individual concerned to decided. I don't recognise the authority of any body, government or law enforcement agency to dictate what I can or cannot do with my body.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Many things are harmful to us. But ultimately it is up to the individual concerned to decided. I don't recognise the authority of any body, government or law enforcement agency to dictate what I can or cannot do with my body.

Its not really as simple as that though is it, given we have an NHS.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    I suspect many politicians know this but few are going to have the guts to say it (specially if they have anything to lose). The media would be quick to lynch them :rolleyes:

Yup. The Mail would actually explode into insults and scare-mongering tactics in a second.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its not really as simple as that though is it, given we have an NHS.
    Sure, but one thing is questioning the burden such attitude might have on the NHS and even suggest restricting access to those who indulge in that manner, and other to actually punish and incarcerate people simply because they choose to use a certain substance for personal recreation.

The very concept of punishing a fellow human being for doing something for pleasure that harms no others is one of the biggest aberrations in human history. One day in the future such mentality will have been long abandoned, and people will look back and think 'I can't believe that as recently as the 21st century mankind thought appropriate to punish individuals for taking drugs'. It truly is too ridiculous for words.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Sure, but one thing is questioning the burden such attitude might have on the NHS and even suggest restricting access to those who indulge in that manner, and other to actually punish and incarcerate people simply because they choose to use a certain substance for personal recreation.

The very concept of punishing a fellow human being for doing something for pleasure that harms no others is one of the biggest aberrations in human history. One day in the future such mentality will have been long abandoned, and people will look back and think 'I can't believe that as recently as the 21st century mankind thought appropriate to punish individuals for taking drugs'. It truly is too ridiculous for words.

Of course it is, but purely saying 'its my body I can do what I want' makes no sense, no man is an island as the saying goes. And it is precisely because our actions impact on others that we should minimise the harm drugs do and to do that we need to control their use, something thats impossible when they are illegal.
  • Options
    How come all these lefties are calling for nasty substances like heroin to be legalised, but also calling for restrictions on where people can smoke tobacco on the grounds of very shaky evidence of passive smoking? Answer: they like to pretend that drugs like cannabis, ecstasy, heroin and the like are all completely harmless. They deliberate keep quiet about it. What about the lives ruined by drug abuse, by drug addiction? Drugs destroy lives and yes, they make a fortune for criminal gangs. So, what's the answer? How about actually enforcing the law for a change?