Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Car stuff - Men only :p

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, basically i'm gonna be driving to London from Manchester next month (:D) - a good couple of hundered miles trip each way. My cars never had any trouble except through my own fault - battery going flat from leaving the stereo on too long without the engine, etc. I want to minimize the chances of it breaking down though. I've done 3000 miles since mid January in it with no problems so far, but should i make sure to stop at a couple of service stations on the way, give it an oil change (Due one since i've gone over 3000 miles anyway), and if i'll need to give it a basic service [fuck paying :p] What sort of stuff do i need to look over?

Cheers in advance :D

Comments

• Options
    Depends on the age of the car, but from my own experience, things like washer fluid level (no essential for car running, but clean windscreens are rather handy...), coolant/water level (depends on age of car), oil level like you said, tyre pressures...

Erm...trying to think of some more...
  • Options
    Its a V reg ('99)
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    Depends on the age of the car, but from my own experience, things like washer fluid level (no essential for car running, but clean windscreens are rather handy...), coolant/water level (depends on age of car), oil level like you said, tyre pressures...

Erm...trying to think of some more...

Oh yeah yeah what he said... :chin:
  • Options
    What car is it?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    LacyMay wrote:
    Get out woman :p

Check oil and water. Washers, fuel (:p) etc. 200 miles shouldn't really do that much damage anyway.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:

Yeh I knew that too. I just couldnt be arsed to type it out.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Get out woman :p

Check oil and water. Washers, fuel (:p) etc. 200 miles shouldn't really do that much damage anyway.

I've driven like 250 in a night before haha, but motorway driving seems to place more stress on cars...

And its a 1 litre corsa click to see more.
  • Options
    Pfft, should be fine. As said before, ensure the cooling system is at the required level, oil is where it should be on the dipstick, and that power steering and brake fluid is where it should be. Tyre pressures and tread depth, including the spare...

A few hundred miles is nothing for a car that is well maintained - if the car hasn't been serviced for a while(over a year), then it would probably be worth getting it done. There are heaps of things that most people can't check for themselves - condition of discs and pads, fuel lines, split gaitors on driveshafts, etc, etc.
  • Options
    Go on little man you can do it. Foot to the floor an all that :hyper:
  • Options
    Big men twist their wrist :).
  • Options
    mileage and car please??.......if its done a few thousand it may need a cam belt change.if that breaks your fucked propper! :shocking: :D
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Go on little man you can do it. Foot to the floor an all that :hyper:

'Little'? :p
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    'Little'? :p

Your still my little man ;)
  • Options
    Vauxhall corsa 1.0 12v. 54,000ish on the clock when i got it, M.O.T and Service were done the week before i got it (Middle of Jan). 57,000ish on it now.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    Vauxhall corsa 1.0 12v. 54,000ish on the clock when i got it, M.O.T and Service were done the week before i got it (Middle of Jan). 57,000ish on it now.
    you should be ok then cos that engine is chain driven.however there was a recall on the oil feeds and chain on certain years.if the engine gets rattly,thats what it'll be,but on that mileage it wont be a problem i dont think....just keep all the levels topped up.
  • Options
    Ignore this one :).
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    you should be ok then cos that engine is chain driven.however there was a recall on the oil feeds and chain on certain years.if the engine gets rattly,thats what it'll be,but on that mileage it wont be a problem i dont think....just keep all the levels topped up.
    When i've battered it for a bit it starts making rattling noises, one of which was the plastic ecotech cover rattling (Sorted that out by unclipping the corner) Apparently its sommat to do with the 'tappet heads' or sommat?
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    When i've battered it for a bit it starts making rattling noises, one of which was the plastic ecotech cover rattling (Sorted that out by unclipping the corner) Apparently its sommat to do with the 'tappet heads' or sommat?
    the only rattle noise apart from the "plastic cover"on that engine will come from the chain.hydraulic tappets have never been a common problem on this engine as far as i'm aware.if it is rattling i'd get it checked out.
  • Options
    As already said, just check all the things you're supposed to check - oil, water, tyres, brake fluid, etc. Make sure it's all topped up, etc. And have a quick look around the car, and get down and have a look underneath for anything obvious - oil/water leaks, rubber boots split, exhaust in good condition. While under the bonnet, if you know what's what, just check that ignition leads and wiring is all pushed home well. If it's dirty under there then give it a clean. That's it. No worries.
    Don't worry about it, 200 miles or more isn't a big deal in a modern car, especially of that age and mileage.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    mileage and car please??.......if its done a few thousand it may need a cam belt change.if that breaks your fucked propper! :shocking: :D

Yeah, my old car was probably due for a cam-belt change, so I sold it.
  • Options
    tough that i am female...the cam belt will need changing before 60000 btw.
  • Options
    petrol. :D
  • Options
    What does your car need for a 200 mile journey?

Dark Side of the Moon, Bringing it all back home and The Stone Roses :yes:
  • Options
    i dont think you'll have any problems, i do quite a lot of miles travelling to and from the footy and my car is a few years older than yours, just check your oil, water, coolant etc..

if your car does happen to break down, its likely it already had a fault there anyway i would have thought. i car of its age shouldnt break down on a shortish trip like manchester to london.
  • Options
    ..and some good cd's to listen to. oh and some food/drink. :p
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Bringing it all back home

:heart:

This is essential to any [car] journey.

The only thing I ever think to check are my tyres, I'm convinced they'll be the death of me. Paranoid much? :p
  • Options
    Just check tyres, oil and water. And don't forget screenwash.

400 miles is nothing for a modern car.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

400 miles is nothing for a modern car.

Yeah. Should be easy really. Most stress on the engine is within the first few miles anyway, so if it's going to break down it's probably more likely at the end of your road than in the middle of the motorway.
    doofay wrote:
    but motorway driving seems to place more stress on cars

I'm not sure why you would figure that. Motorway driving is normally in an easy gear at fairly consistant speeds. If your engine is screaming on the motorway you're probably going too fast for the car, or you've forgoten to change gear :p
  • Options
    I agree, motorway driving should be easy on a modern car - constant speeds rather then starts / stops of town driving.

I'd check your tyre pressures before you set out

get an AA / RAC membeship if you're worried before you go or take a person who has membership with you.
  • Options
    has it ever had a new cam belt?
    first thing you should have done when you got it ...if you aint got any papers saying its already been done.
    cam belt snaps ...bye bye engine.
    about a hundred and fifty quid every sixty thou.