Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

follow the heart or the mind?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was in hospital in April last year. My boyfriend was there with me (he was the only one who came to see me in hospital as I live away from my family (they're in Malaysia, I'm in the UK) and all of my friends were on holiday). On the 3rd day I was there, I was told by the matron that I was pregnant. That was so difficult for me to take in because I was raped the previous November and realised that the only person the father of this baby could be was a rapist. Lots of things were going through my mind and I was really quite hysterical so I rang my boyfriend, who had just left the hopsital to go for a cricket practice up to ask him to come back cos I really didn't know what to do, told him what I was just told but he refused. I begged him to come back to the hopsital, or at least just speak to me and he just wouldn't do it. I felt so abandoned and so worthless. Its been almost a year and I still can't understand why it was so easy for him to just leave me in hospital while I was going through hell that day. 12 hours later, they told me I wasn't pregnant, it was a mistake. Everytime I ask my boyfriend why he didn't bother coming back to just be there for me and hold my hand, all he can say is 'well at least it was a mistake, you weren't really pregant' I don't know if any of that made sense, and I'm sorry if it didn't. I just don't understand how anyone could do that, leave someone they apparently cared about alone when they were needed the most? Am I over-reacting? We've been together for 3 years now and although I love to him pieces and he makes me happier than I ever thought I could be, I feel I have so little self-respect to feel so much love for someone who left me when I needed him the most. My mind tells me the right thing to do is to leave him but my heart wants him so bad, which is the most wise?

Comments

• Options
    This man left you at a time when you needed him most. And that is a damning indictment on him. Dump him straight away before he destroys your confidence completely.
  • Options
    He has made a huge effort since though, and I feel so bad for not being able to let go of this. Can people change or is that just some romantic fantasy I should let go of?
  • Options
    He will not change. If he could have changed, he would have by now.
  • Options
    He was unable to help you because of the abhorance he felt towards the child you thought you were carrying. The level of anger felt towards this continuing violation of you by your attacker is related to the amount of love he has towards you

He probably feels really badly, and confused, about the sheer hatred he felt, and wont want to discuss it with you. He may find counselling over your rape beneficial, but getting him to go - even suggesting it - could be very difficult.

Yes, it was unfortunate that he wasn't able to be there for you, but this is a pretty special case, so I would recommend you don't treat it as indicative of how he would treat you in other circumstances.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    He will not change. If he could have changed, he would have by now.
    How do you know if he's changed or not unless he's faced with another situation like the one described? People do change. It might take a long time, but people change. Don't be so damning. Also, you can't judge his actions unless you've been there, in the same position he was in. Think about how you would feel if you found out your girlfriend was pregnant with another man's baby - rape or not?

OP - I agree with Big Gay. He was obviously going to be scared, so don't use it as an indication of how much he cares about you.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    He was unable to help you because of the abhorance he felt towards the child you thought you were carrying. The level of anger felt towards this continuing violation of you by your attacker is related to the amount of love he has towards you

He probably feels really badly, and confused, about the sheer hatred he felt, and wont want to discuss it with you. He may find counselling over your rape beneficial, but getting him to go - even suggesting it - could be very difficult.

Yes, it was unfortunate that he wasn't able to be there for you, but this is a pretty special case, so I would recommend you don't treat it as indicative of how he would treat you in other circumstances.

good advice.

sounds like this was a one off, and under exceptional circumstances, so i wouldn't use it as a basis for judging him as a person.

i don't know many men who wouldn't freak out if they found out their girl was pregnant with a baby of a man who violated them.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:

All of that really helped. My counsellor has tried giving me advice about it, but what Big Gay said was the best advice I've been given. I've been going over this issue for almost a year and ive just got a whole new perspective of it, which is great. we had a really long talk about it over the weekend, and i feel like i can really move on from this now. thanks so much for all the great help!
  • Options
    I would say always follow the heart... Sometimes you get crushed again and sometimes it is the real thing for life... If you love him more than anything, go ahead, but this time be more cautious and make sure some points are cleared and understood.
  • Options
    crystalx2 wrote:
    All of that really helped.
    Great, I'm glad I was able to give you a handle on it; and happy that helped you help your partner.

Thanks also for letting us know how it turned out