Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Choices

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yes ive been having a lot of deep thoughts lately...

Fate, do you beleive in it?

Do you think that we all have a pre-determined path to follow or do you beleive we make our own decisions and create our own destiny?

Also, if you beleive that we create our own destiny and choose our own paths then has it occured to you that maybe the choices you think you are making for yourself have really been pre-determined?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Predetermined... maybe. I don't know, I need more evidence.

If I do something, that is entirley against the norm, am I breaking it? Or is it programmed in to make me think I am?

See... it's a no win situation. We cannot know. But I know this: I want to do something with my life.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Yes ive been having a lot of deep thoughts lately...

Fate, do you beleive in it?

Do you think that we all have a pre-determined path to follow or do you beleive we make our own decisions and create our own destiny?

Also, if you beleive that we create our own destiny and choose our own paths then has it occured to you that maybe the choices you think you are making for yourself have really been pre-determined?
    erm.....no.
  • Options
    Yes, all events are predetermined.

No, we have no idea what those events will be.

Same difference as if they weren't predetermined then. :cool:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes, all events are predetermined.

No, we have no idea what those events will be.

Same difference as if they weren't predetermined then. :cool:
    so no then?
  • Options
    What we do affects how we are and what happens to us.
  • Options
    I don't believe in fate. It'd make me depressed thinking that no matter what I do, it's all been decided beforehand and that I have no choice.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    What we do affects how we are and what happens to us.
    But how do you know that everything you do hasnt already been decided and that no matter what random choices you might think you are making, fate has already been planned so that you are destined to make those choices?
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    But how do you know that everything you do hasnt already been decided and that no matter what random choices you might think you are making, fate has already been planned so that you are destined to make those choices?

You don't. What matters is you live life right now. Whether you think you create your own future or if everything has been decided for you.

I personally couldn't care less which it is. I believe I can make choices and that's what matters.
  • Options
    I don't believe anything is pre-determined. I think shit happens as do coincidences. Was it the starving kid in Africa's fate to be..well starving?
  • Options
    i believe in fate.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i believe in fate.

Starving kiiiiddies?
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Starving kiiiiddies?
    you what?
  • Options
    I mean if people genuinely believe in fate then can they really think it was some kid's fate in Africa to be starving?
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    I mean if people genuinely believe in fate then can they really think it was some kid's fate in Africa to be starving?
    Well why not? fate doesnt have to be good you know!
  • Options
    Fate seems like a bit of a nasty bitch tbh then.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    yeh why not.

i don't know why i believe in fate, but i have for a long time.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Fate seems like a bit of a nasty bitch tbh then.
    yeh c'est la vie. whether its fate or not, they're still starving.
  • Options
    Well technically there is both a such thing as fate and not a such thing as fate. Depends on what way you look at it.

I believe we have a fate.
  • Options
    Those who believe in fate must also believe in God, or in the existence of some kind of god or superior being at least.

I mean someone must have set it all down, musn't they? Otherwise it wouldn't be fate.

Personally I don't believe in fate. An event happens, and that leads to something else. That's about it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Those who believe in fate must also believe in God, or in the existence of some kind of god or superior being at least.

I mean someone must have set it all down, musn't they? Otherwise it wouldn't be fate.

Personally I don't believe in fate. An event happens, and that leads to something else. That's about it.
    i'm not religious in the slightest although i do believe that theres something far greater than we can understand.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i'm not religious in the slightest although i do believe that theres something far greater than we can understand.
    so you are religious then.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

I think it was the drugs that did it for me :D
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    so you are religious then.
    well i guess as far as i believe in a greater being/power. but not in the christian sense for example. i dont have a religion, i dont prey. i just think that things are out of our control.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    well i guess as far as i believe in a greater being/power. but not in the christian sense for example. i dont have a religion, i dont prey. i just think that things are out of our control.
    now thats not strictly true,you do play a part in it,but the unforseen is just that imo.
  • Options
    it just shows the human condition. we get scared,and why not? we try to make sense of situations that dont make sense. so we question the meaning of life,we don't get an answer...so it must be a pre determined path we follow???....why should it be? so who's responsible then?.........we do not know! and we were never meant to imo,so just get the fuck on with it!...closed minded?..yes! does it keep me sain?....yes!
  • Options
    yeh i dont really think about things in great depth that i will never know the answer to. i dont see the point.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

I can see what you mean, but for me it's just the opposite. I believe in God, therefore I don't believe in fate, I believe in free will.
  • Options
    I have no idea.

Quite frankly, predtermined fate or having compelete control of our destiny's or a mix of both, scare me.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    I can see what you mean, but for me it's just the opposite. I believe in God, therefore I don't believe in fate, I believe in free will.
    How about events for which man has no control over? Such as the Boxing Day tsunami for instance?
  • Options
    Natural disasters are natural, they hapen, thats the world you live in. Oceans rise and fall and crash into the land and if you happen to be living on that piece of land then sucks to be you.

There is no conflict with God and disaster. Its a natural thing, not man made, he has no remit to interfer.

and besides which, if you belive the Bible. God said he would never intefer on that scale again after the Great Flood.