Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Confidence - Didnt Know Where To Put This

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Peeps,

I feel i lack alot of confidence and i feel its stopping me doing certain things in life. I just want to be a confident person but how can i? is it just something that will make me like this for the rest of my life or is there something i can do to change this. I just feel that when i talk to girls and people that they arent really interested or the thought of rejection all the time. I hope i dont carry on with this all my life but it just feels like it is going to. Its like i been meeting this girl but it took me so long to meet her cause i didnt think she would like me even tho she kept telling me by phone calls and txt messages that she did......

Please Help...Its Destroying My Life!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    There's no quick-fix, easy answer. I find that the best way to build confidence is to find what you're good at and focus on that. Become good at it, you're confidence will grow and other people will find you more attractive. Girls do tend to find the most successful men attractive because it suggests attractive qualities like determination, talent and a willingness to stick with something (all subconscious of course). With these qualities, even dull, average looking people like Keanu Reeves can become attractive. :D

With other stuff in life though, you've got to get out there and do what you want. You can't be afraid of looking stupid (hard, I know). Loads of people will refuse to go to the gym because they want to be up to a certain standard before they do it in front of other people. And as a result, they never achieve anything. But every successful person in history has been crap at whatever at some point. Every band in the world was crap, but they did gigs anyway because that's the only way to get better and become successful.

I'm a firm believer that confidence with the opposite sex goes hand-in-hand with confidence in other aspects of life.
  • Options
    I'm a firm believer that confidence with the opposite sex goes hand-in-hand with confidence in other aspects of life.

Yep, i firmly agree with this. If you can approach an extremely attractive, intimidating woman, whom you don't know, most other things in a life are a piece of piss in comparison.

Confidence was always a big issue with me, but for about the last year i've grown a lot in confidence. Since i've finished my education (Thank god!) and have started working, i'm much more confident dealing with people since i've been working in an office / sales driven environment. But to be honest i can't really put my finger on how the change came about. I guess i was just tired of worrying what people thought of me all the time and i just started to think 'fuck it', put it to the back of my mind and started to big myself up a bit. One prime example of this was my golf (yes old man's game i know! etc etc..!). I hadn't won anything for years and lack of confidence was definately the biggest factor in this. I was always worried about being a bit of a joke around the club, cus i was crap basically! Then i just thought fuck it, and started to stick it to everyone i played against, gave them some banter etc etc. Since then, i have won 4 tournements, am close to getting into the first team and my reputation now means most people genuinely fear playing me, which ofcourse puts me in the driving seat before a match has even begun.

So basically, i'd say, and i know this is hard, but stop worrying. Just start believing in yourself, telling yourself you're the man and even if you don't believe it for a start, you will eventually, cus i've been there and i know it. Everytime doubt or fear creeps into your mind, just say 'fuck off!' put it to the back of your mind and walk on. Everything i did, i used to be riddled with self-doubt and now i've almost forgot what self doubt is (apart from with girls, but i'm working on that and getting there aswell). This is the best advice i can give. Like I'm With Stupid says, no shortcuts, it takes time, but it's worth it - worked for me.....
  • Options
    Building it over time is the best way, like everyone said. Sadly, I did not emerge as my super confident self from the womb, it takes practice, like most things. Stagger whatever you want to achieve over time.

For instance, start initiating conversations with random strangers. At the bus stop, while doing your laundry etc...Just talk to people, whenever you have a spare moment or are waiting for something.

Then build up to talking to girls. The leap isnt that big.

After that, once you feel comfortable, start doing it to attractive girls.

Say have a week or two to each of the stages. Just little things, to build them up.

Be prepared though. You will be facing rejction. Thats always my main problem, I never deal with rejection well. I tend to assume thats the main problem with lack of confidence, as I see it, the rejection issue. I have a friend who advised I purposefully go out that weekend and try to get rejected by as many girls as possible. Funnily enough, that helped. Kinda like conditioning.

Thats pretty much how I dealt with confidence, in a nutshell. Of course, you could try the other method I used...martial arts. Good for dealing with screaming belligerents in your face and getting used to feeling physical pain, but not so good for that kind of confidence you want. In my opinion. Some people may find it different.
  • Options
    thanks for the responses on here, they go into some depth and some touch what i am feeling...I do feel now tho i can have a go at some of the ideas exspressed on here. I am meeting a girl tonight and gonna give some of the tips a go.

Thanks Peeps. :thumb: :D
  • Options
    Ohh i'm going to disagree here I don't think confidence with the other sex has that much to do with confidence in other parts of your life. Maybe its just me but I don't have a particular problem with MOS but i'm severely lacking confidence in lots of over areas of my life - like I find it really hard to speak in meetings with people I dont' know and speak to random strangers at "networking" events....
  • Options
    Confidence in other aspects of your life makes you attractive to members of the opposite sex, which in turn makes you confident with the opposite sex (which makes you even more attractive to the opposite sex, and so on).
  • Options
    Confidence that you would know what to say other than "hello" helps.
    I suppose, I'm fucking useless at smalltalk.
  • Options
    Confidence that you would know what to say other than "hello" helps.
    I suppose, I'm fucking useless at smalltalk.
    I don't think the actual subject matters in the early stages. It's more your body language and feeling each other out and stuff. I'm fine at talking to girls I like. I just always have a problem making the transition from friend to more than friends. I'm always really awkward with it. It's easier in a club because when you've been talking for a while and it's just the two of you, it's kinda obvious that you like each other, so you can trade numbers or whatever. I'm much worse when it's a party or something, and you're not sure whether they're just being friendly, or whether they're into you. But I guess that's half the fun.
  • Options
    New to this site, I think I'm gonna like it...
    IMO, I think confidence and fear are inter-related. I mean, u feel a lack of confidence when u are afraid that things may not go as u wish. So u've got deal with the fear and think "so what if i fall down flat on my face?". If u stop caring so much about goofing and making mistakes, the lack of confidence will diminish. And over time, when u start to realize that ur mistakes don't matter as much as ur ability to pick urself up after, then u will have confidence. That's my take on it. I hope it makes some sense.
  • Options
    your getting up infront of people and DJ'ing will help increase your confidence :)

you'll get to meet random people, even if just for a quick word that they liked your set. It all helps!
  • Options
    yeh well i just think ur a piss takin twat
  • Options
    Mia16 wrote:
    yeh well i just think ur a piss takin twat

eh? where'd that come from?
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    eh? where'd that come from?

Its his ex who is apparently over him COMPLEEETELY :chin:
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Its his ex who is apparently over him COMPLEEETELY :chin:

ooooh, I see.

messy.
  • Options
    Mia its not neccesary to say anything inappropriate no matter what relationship you mite have with a user, this site is to be sympathetic not critical thank you
  • Options
    sorry the replies are quite long so didnt read them all, sorry if repeat. But mate i had/have the same problem. I dont really know how i've gained confidence, but i some how have, i think the best thing to do is just get some good friends and try and chat up these girls whatever gets in your way. Try and copy confident people, speak loudly and do whatever feels right, i find im confident as long as im not round more confident people than me. Just try not to think of consequences and just go for it, who cares if you make a fool outta yourself infront of a girl? Just move on to another next week. Having a good group of mates can help you out, as if your do 'cock up' you can always fall back on your group of mates and just laugh about it later on. good luck.
  • Options
    Everyone on the board has given fantastic advice, from personal experience i think the best thing is don't take yourself too seriously and don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself. The best laughs I've had in my life are at myself. Nobody is perfect and i think confidence stems from knowing this and working on your imperfections-not dwelling on them. And as several people have said work with what you have and are good at.
    :yes:
  • Options
    thanks for changing my password, dont matter tho, just made a new account
  • Options
    what the hell u on about!!
  • Options
    Ooh bit of a domestic going on...
  • Options
    Moffster wrote:
    She's a disgruntled ex. And quite a pathetic one at that.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    She's a disgruntled ex. And quite a pathetic one at that.

It's his ex innit?!
  • Options
    A lot of confidence is pretending to be confident - imagine how a confident person would act in a situation and 'become' that person. Soon enough it will feel natural and you will be the confident person people admire and imagine themselves being. Also, grow a thick skin, brush off the set backs and you're halfway there.
  • Options
    Moffster wrote:

look i dont care what you all say on here, coz at the end of the day the only two people who really know the full story are me and terry coz hes definetely left out the facts to make himself look innocent, but i dont care about all that.

i dont want any trouble, i dont want any arguements, i just wanna no what uve changed all my passwords too. if its not you then you know who it is, it can only be you or your mates, no one else has a problem with me to do that. i have people on my messenger from school and thats the only way we keep intouch now and kirsty from middlesborough, you know i dont have her number anymore, so please tell me my password.
  • Options
    fucking hell.

we do NOT want to know about what is going on with you two. stop being so bloody pathetic and act your ages. oh wait, you're both 12. do forgive me.

if you and terry are the only ones who know the full story then leave it off the boards, eh?

as i said before you're giving lincoln a bad name. but wait there, you are from boston afterall. ;):D
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

if you and terry are the only ones who know the full story then leave it off the boards, eh?

:yes: It sounds like you're going through a bit of a rough time Mia, but you're not making things any easier for yourself by continuing this convo on the boards.
  • Options
    fucking hell.

we do NOT want to know about what is going on with you two. stop being so bloody pathetic and act your ages. oh wait, you're both 12. do forgive me.

as i said before you're giving lincoln a bad name. but wait there, you are from boston afterall. ;):D[/QUOTE

how the hell am i giving lincoln a bad name. and it was him who posted up about me. ive sent him pms to keep it off here. i dont have his number anymore and i dont appreciate him makin me look bad.
  • Options
    Mia_16 wrote:
    fucking hell.

as i said before you're giving lincoln a bad name. but wait there, you are from boston afterall. ;):D[/QUOTE

how the hell am i giving lincoln a bad name. and it was him who posted up about me. ive sent him pms to keep it off here. i dont have his number anymore and i dont appreciate him makin me look bad.

you don't have to reply to him do you. don't give him the satisfaction.

if you want everyone to know your business then go on the jeremy kyle show.

and to see how you're giving lincoln a bad name..see this entire thread and that other one.

there's no need for it. simple as.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    :yes: It sounds like you're going through a bit of a rough time Mia, but you're not making things any easier for yourself by continuing this convo on the boards.
    **cough** Ban her **cough** ;)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    **cough** Ban her **cough** ;)

a tad harsh, me thinks.

they just need to stop bringing their business onto the boards and show a bit of maturity.